X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am hoping to make my own kilt too!

I have just bought Barbara Tewksbury’s book and managed to buy 6m of 16ozs pure wool fabric on ebay for only Ł35 (40€)!! So if my first attempt is not perfect at least I will be able to wear the kilt to garden in! Looking forward to hearing how your first efforts go.

2. The Following User Says 'Aye' to AndrewJohn For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrewJohn View Post
    I have just bought Barbara Tewksbury’s book and managed to buy 6m of 16ozs pure wool fabric on ebay for only Ł35 (40€)!! So if my first attempt is not perfect at least I will be able to wear the kilt to garden in! Looking forward to hearing how your first efforts go.
    Thank you! I just started working on my stitching this week. Since pleats use fell stitching, and they seem to be the bulk of stitchwork, that's how I'm starting my practice. I can tell it's going to take a while.

I hope that your efforts are successful!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I ordered 1 meter of single-width tartan to practice on. I started working on the fell stitch to splice the tartan (It's single-width and aymmetrical, so I get to practice herringbone hemming at some point, or I'll just blanket stitch it later).

My fell stitching was very fussy at first, and I think I'll meed to work on 1) positioning the fabric differently, 2) keeping my shoulders down and relaxed, and 3) sitting in a taller chair at my table until I build a tailor board to put on my diningroom table so that I can stand while I work.

As time went on, my posture worsened, my trapezius got tense, and my stitching became irregular. I did learn a couple of things: I need to keep my thread length shorter and I need to work in shorter passages.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	17117282636253348797268945257511.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	224.3 KB 
ID:	43390Click image for larger version. 

Name:	17117283052152163221351189832810.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	232.5 KB 
ID:	43391Click image for larger version. 

Name:	17117283495123391183224950084249.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	193.5 KB 
ID:	43392

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Welcome from the treasure coast of Florida

Glad to see you joined up! I will be interested in watching your project come to life!
    I recently retired, and I am losing girth... so I am altering my kilts to fit... learning to stitch is challenging with arthritic thumbs, but it can alway be redone... on the average it takes me approximately 3 times to do a decent row of stitching... but I am improving! The folks here are super helpful with insight and good advice.

One philosiphy I have gained over the years is to stop working on a project when I get frustrated, and come back to it at a later time... otherwise it comes out lesser quality than it should be.

Again, I hope to see the results of your project!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kitfoxdave View Post
    Glad to see you joined up! I will be interested in watching your project come to life!
    I recently retired, and I am losing girth... so I am altering my kilts to fit... learning to stitch is challenging with arthritic thumbs, but it can alway be redone... on the average it takes me approximately 3 times to do a decent row of stitching... but I am improving! The folks here are super helpful with insight and good advice.

One philosiphy I have gained over the years is to stop working on a project when I get frustrated, and come back to it at a later time... otherwise it comes out lesser quality than it should be.

Again, I hope to see the results of your project!
    Thank you so much! I think taking breaks is helpful. I have a tendency to want to "power through" when I reach a tough spot on a project for which I am invested, so your advice is good advice. I haven't done much since I finished a second fell stitch on the other side of the tartan. I think that I didn't have enough tension on the fabric on either side, since the middle of the fabric was the hardest to deal with while I was working on my stitching. I saw The Bearded Kilter's 4 yard kilt series on YouTube, and he had clamps on the top and bottom of his pleats to maintain tension while sewing, and I think that is an interesting approach. That may be helpful if you are having a hard time getting enough pressure with your non-stitching hand thumb while working.

Please post your progress, too!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a sewing bird, an elegantly curved sprung clamp shaped like a hummingbird's beak used to tension sewing for pleats and hems. Very handy.

Anne the Pleater
    I presume to dictate to no man what he shall eat or drink or wherewithal he shall be clothed."
    -- The Hon. Stuart Ruaidri Erskine, The Kilt & How to Wear It, 1901.

8. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Pleater For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sewing bird?

Dearest Anne the Pleater could you please post a picture of this rare bird? Been around a lot of quite experienced and talented seamstresses and tailors over the past 6 decades and never even heard of such a helpful critter!

Thanks in advance!

10. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Kitfoxdave For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12