X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

   X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Freedom Kilts website Scotweb websiten Burnetts and Struth website The Scottish Trading Company
Xmarks advertising information Celtic Croft website Xmarks advertising information Celtic Corner website Xmarks advertising information

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11
  1. #1
    Join Date
    27th October 19
    Location
    Maryland, USA
    Posts
    37
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Accidental kilting

    I'm a thrift store junky and I have bee searching the skirt racks of thrift stores for the unlikely event that someone would have donated a kilt. I assumed the store would not recognize a kilt as a kilt and would put it with the skirts. Well, much to my surprise, yesterday, I did find one. I saw the waist was right and it appeared to be brand new, so without much more consideration, I payed the $6.99 price (plus tax) and it was mine.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0811.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	170.3 KB 
ID:	38062

    When I got it home and tried it on the length was very close to spot on when worn at my natural wait, a few inches above the belly button. Also it was much thicker than my Sports kilt and the pleating was much thiner and nicer.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0812.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	230.1 KB 
ID:	38063

    Burn test to my nose says it is PV and the Tartan, IMO is Royal Steuart, although their is no green. (Please correct me if I am wrong!)

    But the odd thing about this its there are only 2 straps. The hip strap is missing. There is also not brand label on it. The only kilt I could find online that is without a hip strap is the USA Kilt Military Kilt.

    https://usakilts.com/blog/military-k...eenactors.html

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0818.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	105.6 KB 
ID:	38065

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0833.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	174.6 KB 
ID:	38066

    But the USA Kilts kilt is real Wool and mine is PV. Anyone have any idea who might have made this kilt.

    I like the Steuart Tartan and the way this kilt was made. Not a bad choice for second kilt even if a lot of luck played into it. I'm sure I'll pay a lot more for the 3rd!

    Dave
    Last edited by Crazy Dave; 19th January 20 at 05:49 PM. Reason: bad grammar in proof read.

  2. The Following 5 Users say 'Aye' to Crazy Dave For This Useful Post:


  3. #2
    Join Date
    3rd March 09
    Location
    Puyallup,WA
    Posts
    264
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Thumbs up Just a thought

    Dave, not all kilts have three straps, so don't fash yourself. I also give the skirt rack a wee glok when in the various thrift stores, as the saying goes "nothing ventured, nothing gained". I found a pair of Royal Stewart fishtail trews in the same manner as you found the kilt.
    Aye Yours.



    VINCERE-VEL-MORI

  4. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Laird O'the Cowcaddens For This Useful Post:


  5. #3
    Join Date
    27th October 19
    Location
    Maryland, USA
    Posts
    37
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Laird O'the Cowcaddens View Post
    Dave, not all kilts have three straps, so don't fash yourself. I also give the skirt rack a wee glok when in the various thrift stores, as the saying goes "nothing ventured, nothing gained". I found a pair of Royal Stewart fishtail trews in the same manner as you found the kilt.
    Trews are an amazing find! I'm jealous! I also found a nice kilt pin (IMO).

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0816.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	180.3 KB 
ID:	38067

    The kilt seems to hold up fine without the extra strap. I was just wondering if this might identify the maker.

    Dave

  6. #4
    Join Date
    16th December 19
    Location
    Austraila
    Posts
    62
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Epic find...😎

  7. #5
    Join Date
    23rd April 15
    Location
    London, ON Canada
    Posts
    105
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Reminds me very much of an acrylic kilt I got here http://www.midwestkilts.com/Index.html The lining is pretty much identical

  8. #6
    Join Date
    27th October 19
    Location
    Maryland, USA
    Posts
    37
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Acylic Kilt

    Interesting! They have MacPherson dress white too. Was this good quality as acrylic kilts go?

    Dave

  9. #7
    Join Date
    26th November 04
    Location
    Dayton, Ohio
    Posts
    826
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The third strap is not necessary. Why is it there? One explanation is provided by Matt Newsome. I make some of my kilts and I stopped using the third strap.



    You are not going to "flash" anyone if the wind blows open the apron. The under apron will prevent that from happening. The under apron goes all the way across the front.



    As for straps on this kilt you will see only one. The strap on the other side that normally goes through an opening in the kilt is hidden on the inside.



    So, back to your first concern, the third strap not being there is not an issue.


    Mike

  10. #8
    Join Date
    26th November 04
    Location
    Dayton, Ohio
    Posts
    826
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Crazy Dave View Post

    But the USA Kilts kilt is real Wool and mine is PV. Anyone have any idea who might have made this kilt.

    I like the Steuart Tartan and the way this kilt was made. Not a bad choice for second kilt even if a lot of luck played into it. I'm sure I'll pay a lot more for the 3rd!

    Dave
    USA Kilts makes wool and PV kilts. If it was made by a kilt maker in the trade it would have a label on the inside. Assuming no one removed the label then it is possible this kilt was made by an individual. Making kilts for myself originally I did not put any label on the inside. I have since started putting in a label.

    Mike

  11. #9
    Join Date
    23rd April 15
    Location
    London, ON Canada
    Posts
    105
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Crazy Dave View Post
    Interesting! They have MacPherson dress white too. Was this good quality as acrylic kilts go?

    Dave
    Itís okay quality, paid about $75 for it probably worth it.

  12. The Following User Says 'Aye' to BertMcG For This Useful Post:


  13. #10
    Join Date
    27th October 19
    Location
    Maryland, USA
    Posts
    37
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike in Dayton View Post
    The third strap is not necessary. Why is it there? One explanation is provided by Matt Newsome. I make some of my kilts and I stopped using the third strap.


    You are not going to "flash" anyone if the wind blows open the apron. The under apron will prevent that from happening. The under apron goes all the way across the front.

    As for straps on this kilt you will see only one. The strap on the other side that normally goes through an opening in the kilt is hidden on the inside.

    So, back to your first concern, the third strap not being there is not an issue.


    Mike
    I am not an expert on the subject, but Mat Newsom's explaination seems quite correct to me. I have tried the kilt on and it hung very well without the third strap. I certainly will trust your experience on this. I will be wearing the kilt to work this week and have no fear of undesired exposure.

    Judging from the pleats and the overall look of this kilt, I would say whoever made it knew what they we're doing.

    I assume that is your work on the kilt pictured. I be proud to wear a kilt made with such excellent craftsmanship. Love the tartan too!

    Dave

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

» Log in

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v4.2.0