X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

in that "Build A Kilt Mode"

hey guys,

i've been in the dyi kilt mode for a long while. i bought 8 yards of a generic plaid cotton material [which is quite ugly] from wally world for a buck a yard. it was a few months ago and i've been waiting for the other side of my brain to kick in. after following beerbecue's thread, the other side woke up. so yesterday contacted Barb and ordered "The" book. 'The Art of Kiltmaking'. i a-wait with total anticipation. those in the know, know exactly what i mean.

so last night i pulled out my material and started pleating to the stripe and to the sett. just to see the lay of the land as it were. wow. i had no idea. first off, 8 yards of material is a large sum of fabic. for those contemplating and 8 yarder, get a big workbench! you know, we talk about yards, 8 here and 4 there, but when you lay it out flat on the floor, 8 yards is 24 feet long and takes up your hall way and into the living room with a foot left over folded at the coffee table. not to mention it's a double roll. (i have pics, so when they become available, i'll throw them up)

in the meantime, i am totally intrigued by the design options when pleating. no doubt an artistic eye is in need, hence the other side of my brain. does guinness help? probably not

anyway..... just wanted to expound ....

'brose

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A few hints from someone who has been there might help.

First, yes, 8 yards is a lot of material. So what I do is find an unused airport. Those runways make good layout tables.

Secondly, stay off the Guiness during kiltmaking. Darvon and Valium work much better.

Third, when you get Barbs book, read it. Read all of it. Read the intro, the authors bios, the publishers info page. That way when someone asks how the kiltmaking is going you can honestly say your still studying "The Book".

Then spend a lot of time here at X Marks. You can find helpful hints about things like "how many pin holes can I survive in my fingers before my fingers rip off on the perforation lines." And "Are Chiropractic treatments carried under my kiltmakers medical plan?"

Good Luck Sir. And welcome to the world of the terminally insane. Post some pics when you get a chance.
    Steve Ashton
    www.freedomkilts.com
    Skype (webcam enabled) thewizardofbc
    I wear the kilt because:
    Swish + Swagger = Swoon.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Wizard of BC
    And "Are Chiropractic treatments carried under my kiltmakers medical plan?"
    Bwaaahaaahaaahaaa!!!!

Ain't THAT the truth though?!

You'll find that patience will produce a MUCH better kilt. The more time you take to keep the pleats and stitch-lines uniform will produce a kilt that does not wander. It's actually a project that will give you a LOAD of satisfaction when you're done.

As for the 8 yards of material... you'll learn how to "accordion" the stuff when you're working with it.
    Arise. Kill. Eat.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm beginning to think that making a kilt is just as addctive as buying, wearing, and having kilts...

I find myself searching the net for tartans in wool and other materials.... looking for the best price for those kilt straps..... daydreaming about how much I will get sewn tonight.......

And reading and re-reading Barb's book every chance I get....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's actually a project that will give you a LOAD of satisfaction when you're done.
    I'll second that, and I would third it, too, but the medication seems to be working

When you turn that... tartan carpet into something that fits on a hanger [or three], you'll swear that it was magic, and that nobody else in the entire world could possibly know how much sweat, effort and care you personally put into that bad boy.

And then someone will say:
    'Hey! I like that!',
    and you'll swell with pride and say:
    'I made it myself',
    and they'll say:
    'I'll bet you did, Suzy Homemaker',
    and I'll be there to testify on your behalf at your murder trial.

I think what I'm trying to say is good luck, and you'll have a lot of fun learning how to do this. [/quote]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I read Barb's book and said, "Oh, *****!"

It is my intension to actually "build" ("Making" is an understatement) a kilt, but, I think that I will have to read the book AGAIN and summon up a enormous amount of both courage and energy. (And, enlist the aid of my sewing-fiend wife, if I can catch her between projects.)

My hat is off to you guys.

Casey

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Casey, I think you'll find it isn't as difficult as you might think, but it does require patience. Don't try to hurry it and take it one step at a time. Above all, measure twice, cut once. You'll do a great job I have no doubt.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I started sewing pleats last night, and ended up taking the first one out and just putting it away until this weekend.....

Patience is the key....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "how many pin holes can I survive in my fingers before my fingers rip off on the perforation lines."
    And that boys and girls is why I don't even attempt it. I hurt myself sewing buttons back on.

Mike

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It wasn't in bad shape, just a little off on a horizontal stripe at the top.

I just really want it to be right....

And it keeps me from getting into trouble...