X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Freedom Kilts website Scotweb websiten Burnetts and Struth website The Scottish Trading Company
Xmarks advertising information Celtic Croft website Xmarks advertising information Celtic Corner website Xmarks advertising information

User Tag List

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cameron of Texas View Post
    Absolutely not! I would be flattered if someone sought me out to ask me about my kilt and the story/heritage it represents.
    ^^^^ This

I wouldn’t change a thing, if your an out going person it’s up to the world to decide how to respond.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wouldn't necessarily seek out a person just because they were wearing a kilt but -- if met -- I would at least acknowledge them with a thumbs-up ("Nice kilt") or something like "nicely done" said in reference to our shared choice of clothing.

I have limited time spent in Scotland but I have yet to find anyone outside of the US who is terribly concerned with a particular person's clan membership. People are people and a good conversation can happen regardless of a person's attire.

Best,
    Jonathan

Quote Originally Posted by Cameron of Texas View Post
    and engage them in conversation?

For example, You're at a Scottish heritage festival and you see a man kilted in a tartan you either don't recognize or perhaps you know the history/heritage behind the sett. Will these curiosities compel you to strike up a conversation with a stranger?

I've always wondered if there were people who attended heritage festivals who were so steeped in clan/highland history that they immediately recognized tartans, their history and relationships between neighboring tribes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do i seek people out to start up a conversation? Depends. I think I can recognize about a dozen different tartans that are pretty typical of what Americans wear, so if i saw someone wearing one of these, I might make a passing comment, like "nice kilt", "looking good", or just a simple nod of approval. If i see a tartan that i thought was particularly beautiful or pleasing, then yes i might start a conversation with them. But for the most part I don't care about what clan, district, or group it represents. If someone wants to ask me about what I am wearing, I will be more than happy to stop and chat with them (or let them buy me a pint )

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have been mulling over this thread since yesterday and do you know, I don't think we Scots in Scotland would ever discuss another person's tartan. They feature in our lives socially from time to time and are just what some people wear. Do you discuss someone's suit? Someone's shoes? And so on? Well I certainly would not with someone that I didn't know and frankly I/we have better things to chat about than clothes! I might take note in passing, of an interesting tartan/tie/combination of colours and so on, but I would not consider all that worth talking about, particularly to strangers. Do you chaps across the Atlantic really have so little to chat about?
    Last edited by Jock Scot; 16th October 19 at 12:23 PM.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

5. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't be insulting, Jock. We over here are just always pleased to discuss our differences that make us similar.
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster, lover of God, people (most of them!) dogs, joy, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, dreamer, traditionalist, bon-vivant, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Sinclair.

7. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to Father Bill For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Father Bill View Post
    Don't be insulting, Jock. We over here are just always pleased to discuss our differences that make us similar.
    I am not being insulting Bill. What I am yet again noticing----and pointing it out---- are the very apparent differences between one side of the Atlantic and the other.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Okay then - we fellows over here actually have lots otherwise to talk about than kilts, but we fellows who are also affecianados love to chat about them in particular!
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster, lover of God, people (most of them!) dogs, joy, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, dreamer, traditionalist, bon-vivant, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Sinclair.

10. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Father Bill For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Okay then - we fellows over here actually have lots otherwise to talk about than kilts, but we fellows who are also affecianados love to chat about them in particular!
    You make my point perfectly Bill. In my experience we over here just do not discuss the kilt in any detail, if at all.

12. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Aye Jock, and you make mine too - here are we XMarkers, joyously discussing the kilt.

Ah well!

14. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Father Bill For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Aye Jock, and you make mine too - here are we XMarkers, joyously discussing the kilt.

Ah well!
    Well not quite Bill. An open question was asked and I have proffered an opinion based on my experience from another part of the world. It surely differs from the majority here, but its as valid as anyone else's. Some here might even find that opinion informative as it does give a Scottish angle to the question which many here might be unaware of.
    Last edited by Jock Scot; 16th October 19 at 01:22 PM.

16. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast