X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Easter adventure

Well bothers, in an hour I'm off to Easter dinner at the inlaws. Nasty 'hood in a big city. We're talking lossa drugs and drive-bys here, if you get my drift.
    I'm going kilted...tux shirt, bow tie, jacket.. the works. (Yeah, I know; not the fromal stuff before 5:00....but hey, this is Easter, and while I'm a heathen, the folks aren't, and I respect their holidays).
    Anyway, wish me luck. If it doesn't go well, it'll likely be on the late news.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They may take your Kilt, but they'll never take away your freedom to Kilt...

The downland village of Storrington, West Sussex, United Kingdom (50º 55' 15.42"N 0º 26' 13.44"W)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Easter adventure

Quote Originally Posted by Celt
    Well bothers, in an hour I'm off to Easter dinner at the inlaws. Nasty 'hood in a big city. We're talking lossa drugs and drive-bys here, if you get my drift.
    I'm going kilted...tux shirt, bow tie, jacket.. the works. (Yeah, I know; not the fromal stuff before 5:00....but hey, this is Easter, and while I'm a heathen, the folks aren't, and I respect their holidays).
    Anyway, wish me luck. If it doesn't go well, it'll likely be on the late news.
    Hi Celt,

There is nothing wrong in wearing the "formal stuff" before 5.00pm, if the event itself calls for it!

One thing though: I do hope you were not wearing a regular Tux jacket with your kilt. They are far too long and restrict the swing of the kilt's pleats - that's why all kilt jackets are shorter than regular ones and are seldom longer than hip length (or to about where the pleats are no longer stitched down). Aesthetically, regular jackets with kilts are totally out of proportion and make the wearer look top-heavy!

With respect, I'd suggest that, if you are going to dress formally in your kilt with any regularity, you would be advised to invest in a Prince Charlie jacket and waistcoat/vest, or a black Argyll jacket.

Please do not take this posting the wrong way. It is just that I am hoping to point out something that perhaps you, and others, might not be aware of.
    [B][I][U]No. of Kilts[/U][/I][/B][I]:[/I] 102.[I] [B]"[U][B]Title[/B]"[/U][/B][/I]: Lord Hamish Bicknell, Laird of Lochaber / [B][U][I]Life Member:[/I][/U][/B] The Scottish Tartans Authority / [B][U][I]Life Member:[/I][/U][/B] The Royal Scottish Country Dance Society / [U][I][B]Member:[/B][/I][/U] The Ardbeg Committee / [I][B][U]My NEW Photo Album[/U]: [/B][/I][COLOR=purple]Sadly, and with great regret, it seems my extensive and comprehensive album may now have been lost forever![/COLOR]/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not to worry, Hamish. Proper dark bottle green Argyll jacket, by the same maker who made the kilt. Goes better with the Irish National, I feel, than would black.
    And your post is certainly taken in the spirit in which it was made... I think we all here appreciate the input of your experience.