X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Freedom Kilts website Scotweb websiten Burnetts and Struth website The Scottish Trading Company
Xmarks advertising information Celtic Croft website Xmarks advertising information Celtic Corner website Xmarks advertising information

User Tag List

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Feedback from a newbie here.

I have very much enjoyed my short time here and particularly reading all the “back issues” of old threads, many of which are fascinating. And reading through all of these old threads gives a revealing insight into the development and structure of this site as it exists today.
    Now we have a small coterie of long-standing contributors who all actively share their opinions and who, without exception, are immune to anything except their particular views. Then we have a more erudite group who combine kilt-wearing with study of published data and, for this group their dogma is written down and immutable. Finally we have new members, some of whom have previous kilt-wearing knowledge and others who come simply seeking knowledge and, more importantly, encouragement.
    Those with existing knowledge appear to meet a degree of resentment, as if their views have no value compared to those who hold the keys to all kilt-wearing wisdom, particularly when these have a “highland” cachet attached to them as if the “highlands” exists as some fabled nirvana where all kilt wisdom resides and where no dissent is allowed. Then we have new members who, provided they do not overstep the accepted norms of highland dress are quietly indulged and most of whom disappear after a short time when it becomes apparent that any contributions they may have the temerity to make are quickly disparaged by the “establishment” jealous of their position as the arbiters of all that is “correct”.
    There. We have a newcomer’s impression of this site as it exists today. A site that, at one time, seemed to have much interesting discussion but which now seems to exist mainly on “Aye” votes from people who really can’t be bothered any more or, perhaps, have realised that any contribution is treated as an attack on orthodoxy and, as a result go elsewhere.

2. The Following User Says 'Aye' to EdinSteve For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well there’s certainly an ebb and flow and perhaps we’re ar low tide. Sorry you don’t like it here.
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster, lover of God, people (most of them!) dogs, joy, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, dreamer, traditionalist, bon-vivant, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Sinclair.

4. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Father Bill For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You have always been most encouraging and welcoming, Father Bill, and I am sorry that my piece has caused such a reaction with you. If only others had followed suit but, sadly, my experience is no better than I have witnessed towards others, quite unnecessarily and insulting in some cases and indulged aparently by the individual’s unassailable position due to nothing more than a long service here, While some monopolise the site as a picture gallery to massage their ego or others pontificate about “highland” traditions as if there is no other possibility allowed.
    You may well understand why I might prefer to restrict my contributions in future to “Aye”.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I feel that I belong in one or more of the groups you have described. I hope all new members are able to express themselves freely to enrich the forum and its growth. As Father Bill points out, we are a fluid site of ideas and sharing. I will continue to contribute to that goal.

Thanks for the input Steve.

7. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Tarheel For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds about like every other internet forum.

That's not meant to be trite, demeaning, or snarky. That's just the way it is.

My hobbies/interests include woodworking, model railroading, photography... and kilt-wearing. There are myriad forums about each, I've settled on one that provides the best information/insight.
    Tulach Ard

9. The Following 4 Users say 'Aye' to MacKenzie For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll say I have enjoyed reading your posts. I'll say I have no need to agree or disagree to enjoy. I'll say I see some good insight, and some possible oversimplification. I'll say I think you'll find much the same circumstances in most any neighborhood waterhole or playground. The joy is in the sizing up, the establishing one's own piece of the turf, the hanging in long enough to learn how to read through the personas and discern the worth behind them. You most likely know all that,
    but it's more than just an aye.

From what I've seen from you, I think you might fit better than your feeling of fitting has been so far. I know I'm hoping
    you'll continue to jump in with more than just an aye. I know I have settled in more comfortably than I ever expected to
    fit. I've taken quite a few lumps and thumps, but I've learned more than a bit and continue to attempt to say something
    useful occasionally. Most here would likely say they would prefer I use the aye more and the reply to thread less, but I'm
    all I have to work with, so, onward. If you'll post, I'll read.
    Last edited by tripleblessed; 22nd January 19 at 01:54 AM.

Victoria, BC Canada 48° 25' 47.31"N 123° 20' 4.59" W
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would guess that in the years I have been a member, and then the owner of this site, I have read one or two similar posts. It seems that they usually come from a member who has been here about the same length of time.
    They almost always seem to say much the same thing, they claim that there is some "shadow" or "insider" group that controls X Marks and that discourages any voice of dissent. A group that forces one immutable dogma over another immutable dogma.

Whenever I read them I wonder - If the person is so unhappy, why do they continue to log on?
    There are many sites out there. Of many different temperments.

Has the member perhaps suffered such an affront that their only recourse is to blast us with vague innuendo? Was this the only option left to them? Are they being held captive somwhere I don't know of? Forced to indure such un-speakable torture at gunpoint perhaps?

Well, I guess there is a bright side. At least this time we weren't called "The Kilt Cops".
    Steve Ashton
    Forum Owner

12. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Steve Ashton For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by EdinSteve View Post
    Now we have a small coterie of long-standing contributors who all actively share their opinions and who, without exception, are immune to anything except their particular views. Then we have a more erudite group who combine kilt-wearing with study of published data and, for this group their dogma is written down and immutable. Finally we have new members, some of whom have previous kilt-wearing knowledge and others who come simply seeking knowledge and, more importantly, encouragement.
    Those with existing knowledge appear to meet a degree of resentment, as if their views have no value compared to those who hold the keys to all kilt-wearing wisdom...
    Steve, I think you have each of us wondering in which of your categories we belong. I suppose I'm in the "long-standing" group but am I also in the "erudite" group? I'm probably immune to other people's views since that is what they are - just views. I may be interested in the experiences of others and may be able sometimes to concur that they are also my experiences. (?Aye). And I very much value the expertise of members such as Figheadair and BarbT. I don't think I pontificate very much about the kilt per se - about which everything that can be said has been said many times over. I probably do ramble on about general "Scottish" matters - but, I hope, not dogmatically.
    I do have some sympathy with the tenor of your contribution. Some of the friction arises not simply because of language variations across the Atlantic but because of more deep-seated cultural differences ("American Exceptionalism"?) that can be irritating to the tiny minority of Scots on the site particularly given its title. But it is to be hoped that you will continue contributing. I have always found that hanging around is a valuable exercise in the practice of patience.

Alan
    Last edited by neloon; 22nd January 19 at 09:43 AM. Reason: spelling

14. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to neloon For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know my post has come across as too critical and appreciate that may have upset anyone with a fond attachment to this site. It honestly wasn’t my intention to attack the site as some have misinterpreted the post as, but really just to try and give as honest an opinion as possible of my experience to date. That this has caused offence to some is something I regret and must apologise for.
    That it has sparked some discussion is a good thing, however, as there is nothing worse than complacency to ruin what is otherwise a good site. In fact I have read threads to that effect where many no longer actively participate but just pop in from time to time and leave an “Aye”.
    Of all the internet fora I have visited this must rank as one of the most polite and I can understand why anything controversial meets disapproval in case it rapidly descends into the sort of slanging match the internet is notorious for. Nevertheless there can’t be anything wrong with a healthy discourse where each individual’s contributions are accepted in the spirit they are given, without rancour or an intention to cause upset by intemperate comments such as those that end up in the “Cooling off corner”.
    Steve wonders why the likes of me keeps logging in as if questioning anything is something unacceptable and that it should be taken elsewhere. OK he owns the site and if he wants me to quit he only has to say and of course I will oblige. I would hope that he wouldn’t go that far, however, as, believe it or not, I do think I have something to offer here and keep logging in because I love the kilt and my Scottish heritage.
    Last edited by EdinSteve; 22nd January 19 at 06:09 AM.

16. The Following 4 Users say 'Aye' to EdinSteve For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If one is going to play in the internet, it’s helpful to develop a thick skin. Everyone is entitled to an opinion, sometimes skewed as they may be.

18. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Me cousin Jack For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast