X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Freedom Kilts website Scotweb websiten Burnetts and Struth website The Scottish Trading Company
MacGregor and MacDuff Xmarks advertising information Celtic Croft website Xmarks advertising information Celtic Corner website

User Tag List

Thread: Flat Caps

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Flat Caps

I was asked if there was anyplace that sold Flat Caps in clan Tartans.

That does sounds like something interesting to maybe get some folks started in Scottish dress??

Thanks
    Steve
    Clan Lamont
    Central US VP

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks like several of the X Marks partners above offer them: MacGregor & MacDuff, Scotweb, Celtic Croft, and the Scottish Trading company. Plus Burnetts & Struth has them in a limited selection of tartans, and I believe Kilt Society (who used to be a partner as well) carries a similar limited range. They're something I might consider if I didn't go kilted all the time, but I do. Aside from flashes, the only tartan accessories I ever wear are a mock day cravat and a pocket square (i.e. my "microplaid"), but only when I'm dressed up and never both at once.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Dollander, my oldest asked about it and said he would wear that but I cant talk him into a kilt yet, youngest one just said NO!!! "LOL"

I have found a place that says they will but our clan is not very big so I dont know if they have the tartan. I will get with them in the morning and find out.
    Steve
    Clan Lamont
    Central US VP

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's a couple of links for you .

Lamont Modern Tartan flat cap

http://www.scotlandshop.com/p-126-ta...=Lamont+Modern

Lamont Modern Tartan baseball cap :

http://www.scotlandshop.com/p-241-ta...=Lamont+Modern

They are a bit pricey , however , they are available .

Cheers , Mike
    Mike Montgomery
    Clan Montgomery Society , International

5. The Following User Says 'Aye' to MacGumerait For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Mike, I was chatting with them this morning to see what sort of price break could be had for multiples. There is for free shipping and handling for 300 pounds. So I will probably end up just getting 2
    Steve
    Clan Lamont
    Central US VP

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Our own Scotweb (see 10% discount link in their advert above) will make them in just about any tartan for you.

https://www.scotweb.co.uk/multisearc...artan+flat+cap

I've a couple that I wear with other day wear than the kilt, but occasionally play golf kilted while wearing the matching tartan flat cap (because I like it but mostly to piss off Jock Scott, my old friend).

8. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to ForresterModern For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the link I will check it out
    Steve
    Clan Lamont
    Central US VP

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The thing about Scotweb is that, while they do have excellent prices, the shipping often cancels it out. There is the free shipping option, but that's untracked, unsigned Royal Mail, and I've heard of people waiting up to two months for their order on top of any production time. The only other shipping option they offer to the US is DHL, which will arrive in just a few days but is rather expensive...over $30 even for a single small item like a kilt pin. So unless the tartan you want isn't among the Lochcarron reiver tartans from which the others' caps are usually made (they will indeed make theirs from pretty much any non-restricted tartan in any weight that's available), you have to ask yourself if it's worth it to pay the price of a third hat just to receive the two you ordered in a reasonable amount of time.

I should mention that it is worth the high shipping cost when ordering several kilts' worth of fabric at once; you can't beat $19 a meter for Marton Mills PV*, for example. But for a single kilt length, I found it was slightly less to buy 8 yards of House of Edgar's 13oz tartan from USA Kilts than 7.3 meters from Scotweb, as the former's $2.99 shipping made up for the higher price.

*unless you're a professional kiltmaker with accounts to purchase directly from the mills, which most of us are not.
    Last edited by Dollander; 26th July 18 at 04:59 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Dollander, yes shipping can be a deal killer. I ordered a outfit from them and paid for good quality stuff and it came quickly but then a month or so latter I get a bill for over $300 for duties
    Steve
    Clan Lamont
    Central US VP