X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Freedom Kilts website Scotweb websiten Burnetts and Struth website The Scottish Trading Company
Xmarks advertising information Celtic Croft website Xmarks advertising information Celtic Corner website Xmarks advertising information

User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Evestay53 is offline Oops, it seems this member needs to update their email address
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Ashton View Post
    If anyone still remembers the movie perhaps you are like me.

The scene that shows why she has that smile still, to this day, makes my heart beat just a bit faster.

This photo beats the Mona Lisa any day.

I asked her if she knew what happened to the photo. She said that she was given it after production and she then gave it to her mother. After checking because she remembered that Chris Reeve had signed the back.
    Wow, Steve, Jane Seymour is one of my favorite actresses. My wife and I enjoyed "Somewhere in Time" and "Dr. Quinn" What a pleasure it must have been to meet her.
    Steve Masters
    My clans: sept of Buchanan, Keith/Dixon. My districts: Roxburghshire and Peebleshire. My wife's clans: Hamilton, Moore, Gardiner. Lederhosen-ed ancestry on my Mother's side.

2. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Evestay53 For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My most frequent question is "what clan is that?"

Since the kilt I usually wear is Isle Of Skye, I have to say something like "it's actually not a clan tartan, it's Isle Of Skye".

Most people don't know that non-clan tartans exist.

Since I usually have a set of pipes in my hand I don't get "where are your bagpipes?" or "why are you wearing a kilt?"

Next most common is "are you from Scotland?" or "are you from Ireland?" to which I reply "I'm from West Virginia" (which often gets a laugh).

If they inquire further I can switch accents. It's interesting what positive reaction I get from British and Australians- they always say "I love that accent!" when I'm talking Appalachian.
    Last edited by OC Richard; 8th May 19 at 07:24 PM.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

4. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to OC Richard For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

MacDonald?

So far my most frequently-asked question is "is that clan MacDonald?" I can see where the mistake might come in since both MacDonald and Armstrong are green and blue with red stripes.
    Clans: Armstrong and Guthrie on Father's side.
    Other heritage: Mostly German and some Polish on Mother's side.
    Kilts: One five-yard semi-traditional in Armstrong Ancient 13oz from Lochcarron

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think I've reported this elsewhere, and years ago but it fits this thread.

I had a three-point rural charge as my first parish, and in honour of their 175th anniversary, one of the three churches put on an historical fashion show. Of course, I kilted up - one of my earliest opportunities to "go public" in my togs. "Mother Bill" joined me with borrowed materials.

As we were waiting to go into the church for the show (standing room only) one of my wonderful youngish parishioners approached and stuttering somewhat, asked in excited tones, "Is that... is it... is that... real?"

I knew that she was asking about its provenance and my heritage but with a straight and earnest face I answered her, "No; you're imagining it. Actually, I'm standing here in my underwear."

She saw the humour and we both had a good laugh.
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster, lover of God, people (most of them!) dogs, joy, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, dreamer, traditionalist, bon-vivant, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Sinclair.

7. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Father Bill For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Since we're on the subject of clergy in kilts, here's a story I heard the other day from a friend who used to live in Baltimore. Apparently one of the local pastors or priests (sorry, didn't catch the denomination) used to wear a kilt at church. One day one of the old ladies was asking questions about it. She pointed at his sporran and asked, "so what do you carry in your scrotum?"

9. The Following 12 Users say 'Aye' to Tobus For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Frequent questions

I can't count the number of times folks have asked to take a picture with them , mostly women 😊

11. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Kirk J For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I work nights and weekends and seldom get the chance to attend church but was able to get some time off to attend Easter services. I attended kilted and as soon as the services were over I was pounced upon by a lady who got to me so fast I think she jumped over 2 pews to get to me. She commented on how sharp I looked and asked about the kilt and the tartan. We had a nice chat with my baby sister smiling while my older sister who does not particularly care for my wardrobe choices had a rather pained look on her face. In the parking lot I was approached by yet another lady asking about my kilt. It seems that her husband has a kilt but seldom wears it. I sorely wished I could attend Mothers Day service especially since my mother has recently been diagnosed with breast cancer and it appears as though the treatment will be fraught with problems.

13. The Following User Says 'Aye' to jhead7090 For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirk J View Post
    I can't count the number of times folks have asked to take a picture with them...
    Interesting. That happens to me when I'm out performing on the pipes, and I always thought it was more about the bagpipes...
    Last edited by OC Richard; 13th May 19 at 03:40 PM.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

15. The Following User Says 'Aye' to OC Richard For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I get asked for pictures every gig. That's not including all the shots people take when we're actually on stage. We'll often do "meet n' greets" before shows for promoters, local radio station promos, and VIP ticket stuff. Usually we'll do a half hour or so before the show. EVeryone gets their selfie with the band, we pretend to have a drink with them while we hang out and chat. We keep it short since we get asked the same questions every. single. time. Sometimes we get asked the same question twice in a row. Actually more often than you would believe.
    Even when I'm doing local gigs when back home, sitting in with friend's bands and stuff I get asked for pics between sets.
    As for the actual questions, I don't get asked 'the question' on the road. People usually want to talk about music, gear, their favorite song, and stuff like that rather than 'the question'. We do get asked about clans/tartans though fairly often. I DO get 'the question' at local bars/pubs though. Usually I just say "I'd love a glass of Yellow Spot, Thanks!" Sometimes it works.
    Last edited by Bad Monkey; 14th May 19 at 11:47 AM.

17. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Bad Monkey For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Q: What tartan is that?
    A: Mine (followed by which of the three when the asker still seems interested)

Q: Are you Scottish?
    A: Maybe not as much as the toffee, but a bit

Q: Are you regimental?
    A: I'm retired

19. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Taskr For This Useful Post:

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast