X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Freedom Kilts website Scotweb websiten Burnetts and Struth website The Scottish Trading Company
Xmarks advertising information Celtic Croft website Xmarks advertising information Celtic Corner website Xmarks advertising information

User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Going to Scotland - what are some must-sees?

Will be in Europe early summer and have about 3 days in the mother country. What are the must-sees? Would like to see a mix of countryside and city, as well as fit in a bit of shopping.

Recommendations for kilt shops/highland wear, etc. as well as restaurants to visit.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What you must see depends on what's important to you and your travel companions. I want to see churches, cathedrals, and standing stones but then, I'm a priest and religion is an interest to me. You might want to see something different.

What are your group's interests?
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster, lover of God, people (most of them!) dogs, joy, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, dreamer, traditionalist, bon-vivant, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Sinclair.

3. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to Father Bill For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Sixpack View Post
    Will be in Europe early summer and have about 3 days in the mother country. What are the must-sees? Would like to see a mix of countryside and city, as well as fit in a bit of shopping.

Recommendations for kilt shops/highland wear, etc. as well as restaurants to visit.
    3 days in Scotland is really a "wee taste". Where will you be? Edinburgh? Lowlands? Glasgow?

Clan Mackintosh North America / Clan Chattan Association
    Cormack, McIntosh, Gow, Finlayson, Farquar, Waters, Swanson, Ross, Oag, Gilbert, Munro, Turnbough,
    McElroy, McCoy, Mackay, Henderson, Ivester, Castles, Copeland, MacQueen, McCumber, Matheson, Burns,
    Wilson, Campbell, Bartlett, Munro - a few of the ancestral names, mainly from the North-east of Scotland

5. The Following User Says 'Aye' to California Highlander For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Father Bill is right, you should tailor the trip to your interests. Personally, I'd hit Edinbrugh (yes, I know I misspelled it)...the castle, Holyrood Palace, and the High Street. The Culloden battlefield. If I could arrange it, a side trip to Scapa Flow, but I'm a big student of First World War naval operations.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Might I suggest a mix of the countryside and the city.
    South African military veteran. Great grandson of Captain William Henry Stevenson of the Highland Light Infantry, Scotland (1880's) and brother to Infantryman Peter Mark Schumann of the 2nd Transvaal Scottish, South Africa (1980's).

Victoria, BC Canada 48° 25' 47.31"N 123° 20' 4.59" W
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It really depends on your personal interests.

The primary reason I go is that I am a kilt maker. So my suppliers, the fabric mills and other kilt makers are always the first on my list. I wanted to experience the Pakistani tat shops on the Royal Mile for myself.
    Of course I wore my kilt, because I am a kilt maker, but also to see the reaction from the locals. (It was not favorable although I could have probably paid for the trip posing for photos with other tourists wanting their picture with a guy in a kilt.)

I'm also an Engineer so the Falkirk Wheel the Forth Bridge and Hadrian's wall were high on my list.
    I wanted to see Glenfinnan viaduct but not because of "Harry Potter". I wanted to see Roslyn Chapel but not because of "The DaVinci Code".

I had no real desire to see the standard tourist spots. The Tattoo was never on my list.
    I had no desire to visit Culloden or any other Clan sites. Instead I spent time in small local pubs listening to today's Scots.

I spent way too much time (according to my wife) in museums.

And I got to meet with other X Markers who I had only known by name.
    Last edited by Steve Ashton; 1st January 19 at 02:02 AM.
    Steve Ashton
    Forum Owner

9. The Following 5 Users say 'Aye' to Steve Ashton For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Ashton View Post
    It really depends on your personal interests.

The primary reason I go is that I am a kiltmaker. So my suppliers, the fabric mills and other kilt makers are always the first on my list. I wanted to experience the Pakistani tat shops on the Royal Mile for myself.
    Of course I wore my kilt, because I am a kiltmaker, but also to see the reaction from the locals. (It was not favorable although I could have probably paid for the trip posing for photos with other tourists wanting their picture with a guy in a kilt.)

I'm also an Engineer so the Falkirk Wheel the Forth Bridge and Hadrian's wall were high on my list.
    I wanted to see Glennfinnan Aquaduct but not because of Harry Potter. I wanted to see Roslyn Chapel but not because of "The DaVinci Code".

I had no real desire to see the standard tourist spots. The Tattoo was never on my list.
    I had no desire to visit Culloden or any other Clan sites. Instead I spent time in small local pubs listening to today's Scots.

I spent way too much time (according to my wife) in museums.

And I got to meet with other X Markers who I had only known by name.
    I hope you don’t mind Steve, but Glenfinnan has a viaduct, not an aquaduct.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

Victoria, BC Canada 48° 25' 47.31"N 123° 20' 4.59" W
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jock Scot View Post
    I hope you don’t mind Steve, but Glenfinnan has a viaduct, not an aquaduct.
    Quite correct Jock.
    Steve Ashton
    Forum Owner

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Ashton View Post
    Quite correct Jock.
    Can I then suggest you have a look at what you have written in your post #6.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Three days is not much time to see Scotland! However as a suggestion to give you a taste of what Scotland has to offer, scenery and sights, is to plan a trip along the main A9 road heading North towards Inverness. It will be best to hire a car, but a train could work.

So-----depending on your arrival time------ roughly, arrive at Edinburgh, head up the A9 to Inverness( some 150 miles), call in to Blair Atholl, one of the UK's finest stately homes, then head North to Inverness, the remainder of the day 1, depending on time and day 2 you have Culloden---Clava Cairns-----and Fort George all within a few miles of each other------Stay night 2 in Inverness, if time and energy allows, a quick tour of the Black Isle to see the dolphins after dinner.

If you have time on the trip up or down the A9 the distillery at Dalwinnie is a thought.

Day three, head back down the A9 keeping an eye out for the rather haunting ruins of Ruthven Barracks, lunch at Pitlochry and then on to have the rest of your time exploring Edinburgh before returning home.
    Last edited by Jock Scot; 1st January 19 at 03:33 AM.

14. The Following 7 Users say 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast