X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Thread: hey hamish

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

hey hamish

read a thread about ironing a kilt, I told em,I just take mine to get it dry cleaned and pressed.
    got me thinkin' how you doin with your kilts now they have a new chemical over there?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    bump for hamish to read

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Phil I had an email off Ham the other day and he hasn't been on xmarks for a few days due to other commitments.
    I think he's snowed under with messages and mail.
    Gotta say I'm intrigued, whats the new chemical we've got over here? I normally use a bit of febreze to iron with, it only takes 5 mins, I normally do each pleat seperateley and then finish with a once over the lot.
    Cheers Rhino

The downland village of Storrington, West Sussex, United Kingdom (50º 55' 15.42"N 0º 26' 13.44"W)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: hey hamish

Quote Originally Posted by phil h
    read a thread about ironing a kilt, I told em,I just take mine to get it dry cleaned and pressed.
    got me thinkin' how you doin with your kilts now they have a new chemical over there?
    Sorry for the delay Phil (and thanks to Rhino for stepping in). I have just ten minutes before I have to go into the village for a "Victorian Christmas Shopping" evening!!! Sounds ghastly to me, but hopefully there will be mulled wine and mince pies for free in most of the shops. No time to read any other posts until the weekend!!

To answer your question: I suspect you are referring back to a post I made some months ago about my local dry cleaning establishment refusing to accept responsibility for the condition of the leather straps if I left kilts with them for cleaning and pressing. Well, to be honest, I have not had any of my kilts cleaned since then ....... I hasten to add that they DON'T need cleaning! Decent woollen kilts require cleaning only once every year at the most and pressing probably about the same frequency, depending upon how they are treated.

I found some leather conditioning cream at a local saddlery which should help to restore any damage to the straps through cleaning but I've had no cause to use it yet.

If I have any adverse results when the time comes, I'll let everyone know!

Sorry must dash - the roasted chestnuts will wait for no man.............
    [B][I][U]No. of Kilts[/U][/I][/B][I]:[/I] 102.[I] [B]"[U][B]Title[/B]"[/U][/B][/I]: Lord Hamish Bicknell, Laird of Lochaber / [B][U][I]Life Member:[/I][/U][/B] The Scottish Tartans Authority / [B][U][I]Life Member:[/I][/U][/B] The Royal Scottish Country Dance Society / [U][I][B]Member:[/B][/I][/U] The Ardbeg Committee / [I][B][U]My NEW Photo Album[/U]: [/B][/I][COLOR=purple]Sadly, and with great regret, it seems my extensive and comprehensive album may now have been lost forever![/COLOR]/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanx ham was just wonderin'