X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

   X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Freedom Kilts website Scotweb websiten Burnetts and Struth website Celtic Croft website
Xmarks advertising information Celtic Corner website Xmarks advertising information Houston Kiltmakers Xmarks advertising information

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 23
  1. #1
    Join Date
    14th July 15
    Location
    Massachusetts, USA
    Posts
    440
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    hiking / hill-walking

    Comrades,

    This question is addressed to those folks who go hill-walking / hiking / go on extended walks while kilted. For these types of activities, do you do anything different than wear your sporran in front, as is conventional?

    Regards,
    Jonathan

  2. #2
    Join Date
    27th September 08
    Location
    From Michigan, USA. Currently in Lancashire, UK
    Posts
    450
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jthk View Post
    Comrades,

    This question is addressed to those folks who go hill-walking / hiking / go on extended walks while kilted. For these types of activities, do you do anything different than wear your sporran in front, as is conventional?

    Regards,
    Jonathan
    I slide mine around to the side if I need to.

  3. The Following 5 Users say 'Aye' to Arnot For This Useful Post:


  4. #3
    Join Date
    6th July 07
    Location
    The Highlands,Scotland.
    Posts
    14,278
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It depends and if I have to, sometimes I just tighten up the sporran strap a couple of holes and sometimes(less often probably) I move the sporran to the side.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

  5. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:


  6. #4
    Join Date
    14th July 15
    Location
    Massachusetts, USA
    Posts
    440
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jock Scot View Post
    It depends and if I have to, sometimes I just tighten up the sporran strap a couple of holes and sometimes(less often probably) I move the sporran to the side.
    Jock,

    Thanks! So, would that mean that the sporran rides up higher on your body?

    Regards,
    Jonathan

  7. #5
    Join Date
    6th July 07
    Location
    The Highlands,Scotland.
    Posts
    14,278
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jthk View Post
    Jock,

    Thanks! So, would that mean that the sporran rides up higher on your body?

    Regards,
    Jonathan
    Exactly so. Out on the hill is not often the place for sartorial elegance, so there is really little reason to even wear a sporran. Your back pack, or your pockets, including "poachers pockets" in your outer layer will carry much more than a sporran.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

  8. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:


  9. #6
    Join Date
    14th July 15
    Location
    Massachusetts, USA
    Posts
    440
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jock Scot View Post
    Exactly so. Out on the hill is not often the place for sartorial elegance, so there is really little reason to even wear a sporran. Your back pack, or your pockets, including "poachers pockets" in your outer layer will carry much more than a sporran.
    Exactly. Agree completely.

  10. #7
    Join Date
    24th January 17
    Location
    Ellan Vannin
    Posts
    280
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've never had any issues with the sporran in the conventional position and that includes steep fast descents off track and steep ascents...

  11. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Allan Thomson For This Useful Post:


  12. #8
    Join Date
    29th January 18
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    191
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wear mine in the front, always, only sliding it to the side if necessary to get through a small space. Although the point is well taken that a sporran doesnít hold much that one might want to take on a day hike, I canít bear to wear a kilt without one.

  13. The Following User Says 'Aye' to RichardtheLarge For This Useful Post:


  14. #9
    Panache's Avatar
    Panache is offline
    Retired Forum Manager
    Gentleman of X Marks

    Join Date
    24th February 06
    Location
    San Jose, California
    Posts
    9,628
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just wear my sporran as I always do when hiking.

    However I do make sure not to overfill it. So I use a belt holster for my phone and keep what's in my sporran to the basics (glasses, folding knife, handkerchief, comb, and car keys). I think keeping your sporran light makes a difference for comfortable hiking as it will stay in place and not bang about as you move.

    Just my two cents




    Cheers

    Jamie
    Last edited by Panache; 17th June 20 at 01:21 PM.
    -See it there, a white plume
    Over the battle - A diamond in the ash
    Of the ultimate combustion-My panache

    Edmond Rostand

  15. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to Panache For This Useful Post:


  16. #10
    Join Date
    14th July 15
    Location
    Massachusetts, USA
    Posts
    440
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, Jamie. I usually put my keys, Swiss Army knife, and my iPhone into my sporran. I think it's the mobile that makes it a it too weighty for comfort. I'll try your suggestions.

    As with many of your photos, you look very good but the background is much better looking! Would that be a sequoia?

    Best wishes,
    Jonathan


    Quote Originally Posted by Panache View Post
    I just wear my sporran as I always do when hiking.

    However I do make sure not to overfill it. So I use a belt holster for my phone and keep what's in my sporran to the basics (glasses, folding knife, handkerchief, comb, and car keys). I think keeping your sporran light makes a difference for comfortable hiking as it will stay in place and not banh=g about.

    Just my two cents




    Cheers

    Jamie

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

» Log in

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v4.2.0