X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Freedom Kilts website Scotweb websiten Burnetts and Struth website The Scottish Trading Company
Xmarks advertising information Celtic Croft website Xmarks advertising information Celtic Corner website Xmarks advertising information

User Tag List

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Holiday Kilt??

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Funny you should mention a Royal Stewart kilt, because that's exactly what I wore to my company Christmas party last night. It was very well received.

2. The Following User Says 'Aye' to jhughes For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MacCathmhaoil View Post
    At this time of year you could go with a Royal Stewart tartan kilt, although thereís alway the risk of looking like a Christmas tin of shortbreads....
    Iím sure that they were probably thinking royal Stewart. Itís on most shortbread tins and holiday table cloths tartan Santaís and teddy bears. My wife thinks the dress Stewart with the added white would be best.
    I happen to think almost any tartan works, in fact in the last few years Iíve been wondering when Christmas became a Scottish holiday with the amount of tartan decorations and wrapping paper.
    Slainte David

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can do Royal Stewart!! Hadn't thought of that kilt. It's very heavy.

Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

5. The Following 7 Users say 'Aye' to OC Richard For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Having read through this thread I am intrigued by the various options but, as a Scotsman, what to wear at Christmas (the holidays) takes second place to what to wear at Hogmanay. At Hogmanay I will be kilted and that is the occasion that will be celebrated here in Scotland. As for colours, fanciful outfits, whatever, we will be happy to leave that to others.

7. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to EdinSteve For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here in the USA the Hogmanay tradition has been lost but we do have New Years Eve parties.

I do recall, many years ago, being at the New Years Eve party given by a Scotsman, he and his brother more or less serving as Masters Of Ceremony to make sure all guests were well liquified. They had a actual rowboat in the back piled with booze.

Suddenly and unexpectedly, around midnight, there was a knock at the door, and when the door was opened who was standing there but their third brother, who lives in Scotland and wasn't known to be in California, he with a lump of coal in his hand! His would have been the first foot to cross the threshold in the New Year.

There was piping that night, and accordion playing and fiddling, and Scottish dancing and singing. A memorable night it was.
    Last edited by OC Richard; 10th December 18 at 05:11 AM.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I too was going to recommend Royal Stewart. Probably because my wife just put on the holiday table cloth, which is Royal Stewart. Also, her stocking is trimmed in Royal Stewart.

I really like the tartan, but it is hard in the States to wear it and not be thought of as specifically a "Christmas plaid". Many tartans, including my family's (Scott) primary red tartan (and MacGregor comes to mind, as well) has so much red, green and white in it, it's hard to not look like to others as thought you've had a wee bit much whisky and ended up wearing a Christmas tree skirt!

10. The Following User Says 'Aye' to huntgathergrow For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have ruffled some feathers before by saying the Celtic Nations tartan looks Christmassy. It would actually be a nice kilt if it wasn't so ugly when pleated to the stripe. I have this kilt but never wear it.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	images (4).jpg 
Views:	168 
Size:	11.2 KB 
ID:	35854

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	is_celtic_nations_3.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	138.7 KB 
ID:	35855
    Last edited by tokareva; 11th December 18 at 05:17 AM.

12. The Following User Says 'Aye' to tokareva For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tokareva View Post
    I have ruffled some feathers before by saying the Celtic Nations tartan looks Christmassy. It would actually be a nice kilt if it wasn't so ugly when pleated to the stripe.
    To me it doesn't look any more Christmassy (wow I didn't know what was a word, but my spellcheck likes it!) than all the other red & green tartans people have posted above. When you seen a dozen different red & green tartans in a row they begin all looking like Christmas wrapping paper. It's not the fault of the tartans, many of which date to the 18th century, but just the happenstance of them being repurposed as ribbon, wrapping paper, Christmas cards, and so forth.

I actually like the way the back of that kilt looks!
    Last edited by OC Richard; 12th December 18 at 04:41 AM.

14. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to OC Richard For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When the OP mentioned holiday kilt, I did not immediately think of Christmas, I know it is a holiday but more in terms of a day or two off. Usually for Xmas Day, Boxing day (26th in the UK), Hogmanay and New Year's Day, I'll wear one of my Anderson tartan kilts. As I believe they have more colours in them than any other tartan, they should appear sufficiently festive, without being associated with biscuit tins.
    If you are going to do it, do it in a kilt!

16. The Following User Says 'Aye' to tpa For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm donning my Royal Stewart with green hose for this Friday's open mic at the local cider house.

I'm not a piper. I might do cowboy songs and yodel! Sorry, I hope nobody here is offended, just trying to have some fun. I have found one cowboy song, "Streets of Laredo", that has Irish or British roots "The Unfortunate Rake", and some Irish allusions remain in the cowboy version. But I've found nothing of Scottish origin yet.
    "Happiness makes up in height for what it lacks in length" - Robert Frost

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast