X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Graham is offline Oops, it seems this member needs to update their email address
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm going to wear a shirt

On this shirt I will print in big letters:
    "I'm not cold!!"

I was standing in the off license waiting to be served, in the space of two minutes three people walked past and asked "aren't you cold?".

I was wearing a thick woollen kilt, a thick jumper and thick long socks, and yet still the idea persists that in a kilt I must be cold.

very, very strange.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Exactly, Graham! If someone isn't inquiring into what I am wearing underneath, they wonder if I am cold. Funny how women rarely get either question with their smooth panty lines and skirty attire.

Seriously though, some folks feel as though they have to say *something*, so a kilt related question, no matter how inane, both breaks the ice and acknowledges the kilt, I suppose.

Nice mug shot.

Mychael

Retired Forum Moderator
    Forum Historian

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

cold & kilts...

Graham,

For some odd reason, people inquiring about whether the wearer of a kilt's body temperature seem to have it in their heid that the kilt was "invented" in Barbados or Fiji, rather than Scotland, at least in regards to climate!

I get that one all the time as well -- be nice just to point and say, "read the shirt"!

Cheers!

T.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My reply to that has been "How could I possibly be cold wrapped up in 8 yards of wool?" Folks see the point pretty suddenly.

Graham is offline Oops, it seems this member needs to update their email address
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yes Bubba, I often say that!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [quote="bubba"]My reply to that has been "How could I possibly be cold wrapped up in 8 yards of wool?" Folks see the point pretty suddenly.[quote]

That is exactly how I answered Grandma's query this weekend past while I showed her the depth of the pleats. After that, she did look convinced/possibly impressed?

Mychael

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have noticed the ones that ask that question most often are women accustomed to shorter light weight skirts. Guys, of course, generally couldn't care less if you froze off important parts. I did suggest to one lady she try a good wool skirt with wool knee socks. She'd find it's more comfortable and warmer than jeans.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have found that it is difficult for non-kilt wearers to understand the "natural" concept of the kilt (different than a s****). Warm in cold weather, cool in hot weather.

Casey

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Difficult? I'd say IMPOSSIBLE!

I find it a challenge, when all the world is blind to that which is so obvious..it makes me want to try even harder to help them to see.

Since I'm a bit of a health nut I like to focus on the health benefits of the kilt when i speak to folk aboot it.

Heck, kilts are fun!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Graham
    Since I'm a bit of a health nut I like to focus on the health benefits of the kilt when i speak to folk aboot it.
    Might mention it's easier to moon politicians in a kilt than it is in pants too.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast