X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Freedom Kilts website Scotweb websiten Burnetts and Struth website The Scottish Trading Company
Xmarks advertising information Celtic Croft website Xmarks advertising information Celtic Corner website Xmarks advertising information

User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk95 View Post
    Hi All,
    Just for curiosity, and a possible help to new kilt wearers, what would be your choice of kilt hose for a formal black tie evening, other then diced, Argyll, or tartan ie solid coloured.
    Regards
    Dirk95.
    It depends. It depends on experience, upbringing and where that upbringing took place and it depends on the grandeur of the event.

On the first point I think we can all see on this website that those brought up with the kilt in the lowlands of Scotland -----particularly Edinburgh-----do see things rather differently to those kilt wearers of experience in the Scottish Highlands. This difference is not unusual and has existed for as long as I can remember. I leave it up to the members which route they decide to take, or of course, you may wish to make your own way. However, none of us can ignore the hire company influence either, there are many in the Highlands who regard their attire advice as rather suspect, particularly with newcomers who are dipping their toes into the kilt world. Either way, input has been asked for and assorted advice has been given with the best of intentions.

From my experience, if one is just dressing for dinner then plain coloured hose are fine, as they are to any black tie event. BUT, as the events get more "smart" then the argyll, or, diced hose can then come into play. It is very easy to overdress for these occasions.
    Last edited by Jock Scot; 21st January 19 at 03:50 AM.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

2. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

Victoria, BC Canada 48° 25' 47.31"N 123° 20' 4.59" W
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Steve Ashton
    Forum Owner

4. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Steve Ashton For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Ashton View Post
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

Montgomery Village, Maryland, near Washington, District of Columbia
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Ashton View Post
    Steve, we really need that double facepalm emoji. A single facepalm is sometimes inadequate.
    Geoff Withnell

"My comrades, they did never yield, for courage knows no bounds."
    No longer subject to reveille US Marine.

7. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Geoff Withnell For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Withnell View Post
    Steve, we really need that double facepalm emoji. A single facepalm is sometimes inadequate.
    Surely that’s not Phil Mitchell from Eastenders is it? Love the casual look with the kilt nestling below the beergut. How often have you heard the one about “Still got the same waistline I had when I was 21? Trouble is the waistline is now below the beergut!
    A dress Gordon kilt gives away the hire outfit. Super one Mr Ashton and I’m sure we’ve all seen the likes.

Victoria, BC Canada 48° 25' 47.31"N 123° 20' 4.59" W
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The photo I posted is apparently a native born and raised Scot. On the site he says that this is "his" kilt and not a rental. There are other photos of him in the same kilt. He also says that he is a former member of the military and shows a photo of himself in uniform.

He posted this as how he dresses formally for a Burns Dinner. When I found this photo he had gotten 21 "Great looking outfit" and "Nice" comments. Mostly from other other Scots as this was posted to a Scottish kilt site.
    Steve Ashton
    Forum Owner

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is there any clue of where this chap hails from, Steve?

Please, please, please don't let him be from the Highlands!
    Last edited by Jock Scot; 21st January 19 at 01:31 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Burnett’s and Struth have these in medium size on sale for $85.00 Canadian, that’s roughly $60.00 U.S. or about £50.00.
    https://www.burnetts-struth.com/medi...avy-full-hose/
    They also mention that they have medium sized diced hose at sale price but they don’t specify.
    Being male is a matter of birth,
    Being a man is a matter of maturity,
    Being a gentleman is a matter of choice!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MacCathmhaoil View Post
    Burnett’s and Struth have these in medium size on sale for $85.00 Canadian, that’s roughly $60.00 U.S. or about £50.00.
    https://www.burnetts-struth.com/medi...avy-full-hose/
    They also mention that they have medium sized diced hose at sale price but they don’t specify.
    That's a hell of a deal. Wish they were large.
    Descendant of the Gillises and MacDonalds of North Morar.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For me it's a solid darker coloured hose that compliments my kilt. Not black, but I have a dark navy pair for one kilt, and then a nice lovet green for another kilt.
    His Exalted Highness Duke Standard the Pertinacious of Chalmondley by St Peasoup
    Member Order of the Dandelion
    Per Electum - Non consanguinitam

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast