X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Freedom Kilts website Scotweb websiten Burnetts and Struth website The Scottish Trading Company
Xmarks advertising information Celtic Croft website Xmarks advertising information Celtic Corner website Xmarks advertising information

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Kilted in Disney Cruise

Hello tosemofor Rabble,

We are going on our first Disney Cruise (previously Royal Carribean and Cunard) we end up in Scotland and I am tempted with taking the Kilt with various accessories to change from day/evening/semi formal. Should I bother and wig you have been on Disney before, do others bother!

2. The Following User Says 'Aye' to gazbot For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When in Rome.....go for it.
    Allan Collin MacDonald III
    Grandfather - Clan Donald, MacDonald (Clanranald) /MacBride, Antigonish, NS, 1791
    Grandmother - Clan Chisholm of Strathglass, West River, Antigonish, 1803
    Scottish Roots: Knoidart, Inverness, Scotland, then to Antigonish, Nova Scotia, Canada.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We like to cruise and Disney is our favorite (and we've never cruised with children). We also like to dress up for the formal nights. I usually wear a tux, which I also wear on the usual second "formal" night. But on cruises to a British Commonwealth country outside the Caribbean, the wife grudgingly allows me to wear a kilt instead of a tux (she'd rather I didn't).

When we cruised to Canada I took two kilts, one for the formal nights and the second for ashore in Halifax and St John. I received a lot of compliments, not only by my fellow passengers but also by the Canadians. In fact, one shop the owner took me next door and introduced me to the pipe-major of the local pipe band. On our last and upcoming cruise to Bermuda, I just wear it for the formal nights, though I did meet a local wearing a kilt at a pub one afternoon.

On one cruise the Food & Beverage officer was from Glasgow and treated me to a dram. I can't count the number of times I was asked by women passengers for a photo-op (which is why the wife doesn't want me to take a kilt on our cruises), and of course lots of people come up to ask (1) if I brought my bagpipes and (2) to tell me of their Scottish ancestry.

That said, I go to Scotland almost yearly on business. I take a kilt but usually reserve for evening functions (group dinners, receptions, etc) or if meeting fellow X-Markers. When I wear it during the day I'm taken for a tour guide though, except for the occasional drunk, I've never received a negative comment from anyone (usually just the reverse).
    Last edited by Sir William; 9th August 18 at 05:22 AM.
    Virginia Commissioner, Elliot Clan Society, USA
    Adjutant, 1745 Appin Stewart Regiment
    Adjutant, Post 2, Scottish-American Military Society
    US Marine (1970-1999)

5. The Following 4 Users say 'Aye' to Sir William For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can't speak for Disney but on a Holland America cruise last year I only took kilts for day and evening wear. Lots of positive comments and questions and very occasionally the question. But whilst I do not like to stand out, it can be useful for getting you remembered. If you are pleasant to the crew members, they go out of their way to be helpful. In the restaurant we always got a table quickly except when someone we had agreed to dine with requested it instead. When I accidently dropped a bit of my camera gear and went back to look for it the bartender to whom it had been handed and who had also served me a beer, knew exactly whose it was.

I'm obviously not sufficiently photogenic to be asked to pose with strangers as I can never recollect that happening. No surprise my wife does not feel threatened.
    If you are going to do it, do it in a kilt!

7. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to tpa For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    IMO, the kilt especially for the formal dinners is an excellent choice.

9. The Following 4 Users say 'Aye' to Taskr For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	34793133_10212325079584911_3376922314267426816_n.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	42.6 KB 
ID:	34887
    I chose a semi-formal outfit for our last Celebrity cruise and I received many compliments.

11. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Kilted Elk For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There always were one or two men in kilts on the few cruises Iíve been on, none during the day but on the dress-up evenings. Must say felt a bit jealous me just in a dinner suit. Have to admit the kilt outfit looked great.

13. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Ivor For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On the one cruise I went on I wore the Kilt for the formal evening dinners, including the PC & Jabot. Ok I may have been overdressed compared to some (there was another Kiltie with just the dreaded ghillie shirt on & a few of the ladies remarked they thought I looked smarter than they did), but most of the men were in Tuxs and the crew in their formal uniforms so I thought it was apt.

I was debating wearing it with tweeds on the Vatican trip, but the advice about bare shoulders & knees discouraged me. Having seen the thread here & what some of the ladies got away with wearing I wish I had now.

I'd say if ever there was a holiday where kilt wearing is apt, at least at formal times it is a cruise. Especially if that cruise ends up in Scotland.

Mine wasn't with Disney though.
    Last edited by Allan Thomson; 22nd August 18 at 06:32 AM.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Allan Thomson View Post
    On the one cruise I went on I wore the Kilt for the formal evening dinners, including the PC & Jabot.
    Great, if you can manage the weight. On our fly/cruise I was changing clothes in airports to reduce checked baggage weight (because of differing allowances between airlines), a formal jacket and accessories would have been too much for any of the flights. I did have 3 kilts though, on for daytime, one for casual evenings and one for formal evenings. It wasn't a Disney cruise either.
    If you are going to do it, do it in a kilt!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tpa View Post
    Great, if you can manage the weight. On our fly/cruise I was changing clothes in airports to reduce checked baggage weight (because of differing allowances between airlines), a formal jacket and accessories would have been too much for any of the flights. I did have 3 kilts though, on for daytime, one for casual evenings and one for formal evenings. It wasn't a Disney cruise either.
    Three kilts might have been pushing it a bit. I only had one (Hunting Thomson) together with a tweed jacket, waistcoat, shirt, PC Jacket & Waistcoat, Jabot, batwing shirt, bow tie, two sporrans (brown leather day and black leather evening), Sghain Dhoo, garters, 5 pairs of hose (mixture of grey and white ones, Brogues (Brown and Black), Cufflinks), all inside a Kilt Carrier to protect it, in addition to a weeks worth of underwear, sandals and shorts inside a expedition duffle bag.

Any electronics I carried in my hand luggage as it's security protocol.

I was fortunate that the baggage allowance was already booked as part of the package which came to 20KG. The weight of my bag was 19.5KG. My plan was if I'd been over I would have worn the kilt with the tweeds and kept the evening wear in the kilt carrier together, stowed my trousers and probably had to carry my tweed coat on as hand luggage, then reweighed it. But that wasn't necessary.

I recollect on another occasion sharing one hold bag of 15KG for a party across which included my Evening wear jacket, etc, plus our clothes and her outfit, and lightweight waterproofs. I wore my phillabeg (Hunting Thomson) with my dress sporran, hose and brogues, a shirt and jumper to keep the weight down and we didn't have any issues with the weight restrictions at all.

Another occasion going to Northern China on an expedition with lodge stays, I had ten days worth of outdoor clothing and underwear, including coats and waterproof trousers, a kilt (Black Watch), hose, garter, sporran and brogues (brown), buffalo smock, shorts, shirt and jumper (which I wore with the kilt as the meal wasn't too formal and I thought it would be lighter than tweeds), all packed in a Bergen, and again I had no issues with the weight restrictions. Again if I'd had issues my strategy would have been to wear the kilt wear and carry my tweed shooting jacket. Again all electronics went in hand baggage.

It's interesting how you can avoid being penalised on the weight restrictions if you're a bit creative.....
    Last edited by Allan Thomson; 23rd August 18 at 01:54 AM.

17. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Allan Thomson For This Useful Post:

tpa

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast