X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Freedom Kilts website Scotweb websiten Burnetts and Struth website The Scottish Trading Company
MacGregor and MacDuff Xmarks advertising information Celtic Croft website Xmarks advertising information Celtic Corner website

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Kilted in Disney Cruise

Hello tosemofor Rabble,

We are going on our first Disney Cruise (previously Royal Carribean and Cunard) we end up in Scotland and I am tempted with taking the Kilt with various accessories to change from day/evening/semi formal. Should I bother and wig you have been on Disney before, do others bother!

2. The Following User Says 'Aye' to gazbot For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When in Rome.....go for it.
    Allan Collin MacDonald III
    Grandfather - Clan Donald, MacDonald (Clanranald) /MacBride, Antigonish, NS, 1791
    Grandmother - Clan Chisholm of Strathglass, West River, Antigonish, 1803
    Scottish Roots: Knoidart, Inverness, Scotland, then to Antigonish, Nova Scotia, Canada.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We like to cruise and Disney is our favorite (and we've never cruised with children). We also like to dress up for the formal nights. I usually wear a tux, which I also wear on the usual second "formal" night. But on cruises to a British Commonwealth country outside the Caribbean, the wife grudgingly allows me to wear a kilt instead of a tux (she'd rather I didn't).

When we cruised to Canada I took two kilts, one for the formal nights and the second for ashore in Halifax and St John. I received a lot of compliments, not only by my fellow passengers but also by the Canadians. In fact, one shop the owner took me next door and introduced me to the pipe-major of the local pipe band. On our last and upcoming cruise to Bermuda, I just wear it for the formal nights, though I did meet a local wearing a kilt at a pub one afternoon.

On one cruise the Food & Beverage officer was from Glasgow and treated me to a dram. I can't count the number of times I was asked by women passengers for a photo-op (which is why the wife doesn't want me to take a kilt on our cruises), and of course lots of people come up to ask (1) if I brought my bagpipes and (2) to tell me of their Scottish ancestry.

That said, I go to Scotland almost yearly on business. I take a kilt but usually reserve for evening functions (group dinners, receptions, etc) or if meeting fellow X-Markers. When I wear it during the day I'm taken for a tour guide though, except for the occasional drunk, I've never received a negative comment from anyone (usually just the reverse).
    Last edited by Sir William; 9th August 18 at 05:22 AM.
    Virginia Commissioner, Elliot Clan Society, USA
    Adjutant, 1745 Appin Stewart Regiment
    Adjutant, Post 2, Scottish-American Military Society
    US Marine (1970-1999)

5. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to Sir William For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can't speak for Disney but on a Holland America cruise last year I only took kilts for day and evening wear. Lots of positive comments and questions and very occasionally the question. But whilst I do not like to stand out, it can be useful for getting you remembered. If you are pleasant to the crew members, they go out of their way to be helpful. In the restaurant we always got a table quickly except when someone we had agreed to dine with requested it instead. When I accidently dropped a bit of my camera gear and went back to look for it the bartender to whom it had been handed and who had also served me a beer, knew exactly whose it was.

I'm obviously not sufficiently photogenic to be asked to pose with strangers as I can never recollect that happening. No surprise my wife does not feel threatened.
    If you are going to do it, do it in a kilt!

7. The Following User Says 'Aye' to tpa For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    IMO, the kilt especially for the formal dinners is an excellent choice.

9. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Taskr For This Useful Post: