X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Freedom Kilts website Scotweb websiten Burnetts and Struth website The Scottish Trading Company
Xmarks advertising information Celtic Croft website Xmarks advertising information Celtic Corner website Xmarks advertising information

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looking for advice.

Hi All.
    I'm going to a Burns night supper not a dinner, and I've been asked to address the haggis which will mean I'll be the focus of attention. Any suggestions of what will appropriate, the dress code smart casual ( sports jacket & trousers):-
    my choices are as follows.
    KILT :- Black Watch, or Hunting McGregor both in modern colours.
    JACKET :- a BBSB Argyll or Charcoal Grey tweed day jacket both with 5 button waistcoats/vest.
    SPORRAN:- Black leather day with leather strap, Black seal semi formal & chain, or Black seal full dress & chain.
    SHIRT:- Pale blue or White button down.
    HOSE :- Burgundy, Black, lovett Green, Tartan Green, Navy Blue.
    TIE :- Regimental Black Watch, or Navy Blue wool.
    FLASHES :- Tartan Red, Tartan Green, or garter ties in autumn Gold, or Heather.
    I will be wearing Black brogues and a sgian duh. looking forward to your suggestions, plus the night should be really good.
    Regards
    Dirk95

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Generally sounds good, except I'd opt for a tweed jacket if you have it available to you - more in tune with the general dress code and "supper" arrangement. If you don't have it - perhaps even a jumper or just no jacket. No need to over-gild the lily.
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster, lover of God, people (most of them!) dogs, joy, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, dreamer, traditionalist, bon-vivant, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Sinclair.

3. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to Father Bill For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just to clarify, a Burns supper is a full meal (dinner) with the haggis as the main course served with neeps and champit tatties washed down with a glass of Scotch whisky.
    I have never been to a Burns supper where anyone was kilted but that doesn’t mean you shouldn’t, just that it isn’t traditional given Burns’ lowland upbringing.
    “Fair fa your honest sonsie face ...” Good luck.

5. The Following User Says 'Aye' to EdinSteve For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can't speak for the UK but lots of kilts evident at Burns Suppers here in Canada. I agree with Father Bill. If I had the option I would tone it down a bit with either a tweed jacket or even just a sweater. Kind of reflects better the bards egalitarian views and humble roots.

7. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to Singlemalt For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I must apologise for saying no-one was kilted as I forgot the piper piping in the haggis and if it is usual to be kilted where you are then, of course, that is what you should do also. As you are giving the address to the haggis and one of the main participants as a result then you have every reason to dress up accordingly.
    Last edited by EdinSteve; 10th January 19 at 09:58 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dirk,
    Ah, but is it you who will be the focus or will it be the haggis?

If dress is smart casual, then it would be appropriate to keep that in mind with your kilted attire also. Staying smart casual makes for a more relaxed and comfortable evening for you also.

One of the best addresses I've ever heard: I know he was kilted and not dressy at all, but I couldn't tell you exactly. It was his delivery that I will remember.

10. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Taskr For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd include one piece of clothing you don't mention. Include an extra kerchief, as the beast you are addressing is known for excretions. It would be a shame to bare the stains of a mishap.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some advice - do not use your sgian dubh when you get to
    “His knife see rustic Labour dight,
    An cut you up wi ready slight,
    Trenching your gushing entrails bright,
    Like onie ditch;
    And then, O what a glorious sight,
    Warm-reekin, rich!”
    Mine still has the marks of discolouration from that years afterwards. Get yourself any old knife and not ruin a good sgian dubh.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk95 View Post
    I'm going to a Burns night supper not a dinner
    What exactly is the difference between a supper and a dinner? Where I was raised, those were generally interchangeable terms for the evening meal. Though I vaguely recall some older people referring to the mid-day meal as supper (what almost everyone else called lunch).
    Verbing weirds language.

14. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to TheGratefulNed For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGratefulNed View Post
    What exactly is the difference between a supper and a dinner? Where I was raised, those were generally interchangeable terms for the evening meal. Though I vaguely recall some older people referring to the mid-day meal as supper (what almost everyone else called lunch).
    This - https://www.merriam-webster.com/word...istory-meaning - might help to clarify for you. Essentially at one time dinner was the main meal of the day taken at midday and supper was a meal taken in the evening. In Burns’ time the evening meal, which is what is a Burns supper would have been called just that - a supper.

16. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to EdinSteve For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast