X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Freedom Kilts website Scotweb websiten Burnetts and Struth website The Scottish Trading Company
Xmarks advertising information Celtic Croft website Xmarks advertising information Celtic Corner website Xmarks advertising information

User Tag List

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I complained to Brice about the kilt and sash and sent him the same photos that I had posted here. In his first mail he stated: „You are right in that it was made incorrectly and never should have looked like that.“

I'd rather say it's not even possible to make a good kilt out of that awful „tartan cloth“.
    He didn't admit that it was a Pakistani kilt and a mass product.

He also stated: „Also, the reason you saw so many good reviews is 99% of my kilts don't look like that. You can go to Amazon or my website and see the awesome reviews I get.“

I find it hard to believe that all the other 100$ kilts are so much better than the one that I got.

A few hours later he wrote another mail stating that I will get a refund.

Quote Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
    Good looking kilt and nice that you got it at a reduced price. I am sure you will be very happy wearing it when it arrives.
    I bet it will be a wonderful kilt. Just that I won't have it in 12 weeks yet after all.
    This afternoon I received a mail from Kinloch Anderson stating:

„Unfortunately the mill have been in touch to inform us your cloth is out of stock at the moment, it is due back into stock the end of January. Are you happy to wait on the cloth or would you like to choose an alternate option? I do apologise about this obvious inconvenience.“

But I don't want any other tartan, so I will have to wait.
    Last edited by Dougal; 3rd December 18 at 04:25 PM.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I guess I'm a dinosaur from another age, but when I started wearing kilts the only things I saw around, the only things available, were handsewn traditional kilts made from tartan from known Scottish weavers. My first two kilts were made by my grandmother, after that I got two or three legitimate kilts made by experienced local kiltmakers.

Maybe I'm spoiled, but that's the only sort of kilt I've worn.

I did once, around a decade ago, buy a made-in-Scotland 'casual kilt' that was machine sewn. It was made out of real UK-woven kilting cloth but the kilt just didn't seem right to me and I quickly sold it off.

So if it were me I would return that machine-sewn Pakistani kilt if possible, or if not sell it off (at a loss, I'm sure) and invest in a traditional kilt, made of cloth from a known UK weaver and sewn by an established bespoke kiltmaker you can discuss things with.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

3. The Following User Says 'Aye' to OC Richard For This Useful Post:

Inverness-shire, Scotland & British Columbia, Canada
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OC Richard View Post
    So if it were me I would return that machine-sewn Pakistani kilt if possible, or if not sell it off (at a loss, I'm sure) and invest in a traditional kilt, made of cloth from a known UK weaver and sewn by an established bespoke kiltmaker you can discuss things with.
    I have, in my long life, I have only had one kilt I am truly unhappy with. I didn't return it because he is a friend, but I have only worn it once and that's a shame. It was dear enough and I've only myself to blame: the fabric was woven in Canada and the kiltmaker was made in Canada, too. Send it back to Brice, ask for a refund (he has agreed it was not up to snuff), source the tartan you want from a UK mill and choose a reputable kiltmaker. Even check back with us for personal/private experiences.
    Last edited by ThistleDown; 3rd December 18 at 07:10 PM.

5. The Following User Says 'Aye' to ThistleDown For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Post deleted........in wrong thread!
    Last edited by Jock Scot; 3rd December 18 at 10:42 PM.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ThistleDown View Post
    the fabric was woven in Canada
    I knew when I posted what I did that somebody would bring up the fact that there have been mills in Canada weaving authentic kilting cloth. Just as one can rightly include L&M Highland Outfitters when speaking of "traditional Scottish sporran makers" (the argument could be made that they are carrying on the tradition more fully than the Scottish makers) one can include these Canadian mills.

There's the old thing about a woman showing up at a party only to find another woman wearing the same dress?

It happened to our pipe band!

Back in the 1980s we needed new kilts and we decided to go with the tartan called British Columbia. We asked around the Scottish mills and only Lochcarron wove it, and only in lightweight cloth. So we did what pipe bands do, we special-ordered a bolt of British Columbia in heavyweight cloth, the first woven in Scotland as best we could determine.

The FIRST competition we showed up, proud in our lovely new kilts, there was another band wearing British Columbia!

We talked to them... they were a band from British Columbia and their tartan was locally woven there. (The colours were a bit different.)

Maybe I'm misremembering, but wasn't there an article recently about the last Canadian mill weaving traditional kilting cloth shutting down? I just can't recall.

Not to derail, but here's a California band in a Canadian tartan woven in Scotland...

Last edited by OC Richard; 4th December 18 at 05:30 AM.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

8. The Following 4 Users say 'Aye' to OC Richard For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Richard, that's a great story.

Andrew

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, Richard, the last mill weaving tartan in Canada closed its doors a few years ago. I do have a Maple Leaf kilt woven by them and made by Barb Tewksbury. That one I am very, very happy with, although I believe it was a challenge for Barb.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I believe there is at least one mill still weaving in Australia, probably also in Merino. Perhaps an Australian member could verify that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hmmm...

I've dealt with USAKilts for a few accessories but not a kilt. All I have heard about them though is that they're a top-drawer outfit. I wish you much better luck in the future.

I used ScottishKiltShoppe.com for my trial run kilts; the idea being that the two utility kilts and the two tartan ones would give me the feedback as to whether I'd like wearing a kilt at all. The results are a bit of a mixed bag: utility kilts are great stuff but the cargo pockets are not my pint of beer. The inexpensive tartan jobs are good enough for me to get the gist of being kilted. The next step is a custom kilt or two. The mission is to be kilted every day, all day.

Slainte!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's probably a dumb question, but is a kilt not supposed to have a hem?
    The only kilts where I could have such a close look and see if there is a hem are the ones that I've got so far, and they both have got a hem. The hem of the first kilt was sewn by hand, and it's unlikely that the kiltmaker did that, as it looks rather amateurish, but the rest of the kilt doesn't.

I assume that my Pakistani kilt had a length of 24 inches originally. This photo shows that it was obviously hemmed up to make it shorter, as I had requested a kilt length that was shorter than the standard length of 24 inches.
    As a newbie I just didn't know if there are hems or not. You can't really see that on most photos. Anyone who knows there shouldn't be a hem like this would know immediatly that this kilt wasn't custom-made...

Well, here it is visible that this kilt hasn't got a hem, this will be my third kilt:

Does anybody know which tartan this is?

At Ebay I won the auction of this kilt today, I was the only bidder and bought the kilt and this kilt pin for only 22.99 Pounds Sterling plus postage.

The wool kilt is used and was made by Douglas Anderson of Dumfries, it was sold by a private seller who thinks the tartan is from „Clan Lochannon“, but no such clan seems to exists. Lochannon sounds much like Lochcarron, and that's the only thing that comes up at Google if I search for Lochannon. The seller is an Englishwoman and probably just misunderstood/misheard something. Maybe it was in fact meant that it's Lochcarron wool.

I like the tartan in any case (but it would be nice to know which tartan it is), hoping the kilt will fit. The kilt length is 23 inches, that should be right, as I'm only 5'8''.
    A true custom-made kilt will be even better, but if this kilt I bought at Ebay is good quality it is a bargain, and I'll get it a lot quicker.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast