X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Freedom Kilts website Scotweb websiten Burnetts and Struth website The Scottish Trading Company
Xmarks advertising information Celtic Croft website Xmarks advertising information Celtic Corner website Xmarks advertising information

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New Kicks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New Kicks

I've been engaged upon a decidedly lackadaisical hunt for brown wingtip brogues to wear with a belt and [sweater/tweed/unadorned shirt] for a while now. Recently, I stumbled across these:

https://www.nordstromrack.com/shop/p...r=DARK%20BROWN

As of today, my pair is in-hand received. So far, I'm delighted by them. I sized up a half-size to 12-M US, as I'm on the long end of 11.5 US and they'll be worn with kilt hose -- perhaps over compression socks.

They seem sturdy, have trail-worthy soles firmly attached, and smell delightful. Firm grip from the heel box. The leather, though probably silicone-impregnated (it's tagged "waterproof leather"), bears the rich aroma of oil-tanning. Finish is a matte chocolate brown, with full-wrap wings. Wings are brogued along their upper edges; there's no toe-punch detailing. The laces are the waxed dark brown hue of a "burnt umber" Crayola.

These shoes look sharp enough to make my wife smile, cost a pittance from the Rack (something like 65% off), and they feel good on my feet. Frye has a solid reputation in the boot world and I hope these will prove to be high-mileage items.

I know tastes very, but if you're looking for a semi-rustic pair of wingtips, you might want to check these out while they're on discount (marked down from $299 to $79).

As for me, no more slumming it in slip-ons!

Cheers,

Jack

P.S. To clarify, I do NOT work for Nordstrom Rack or any affiliated vendor.

P.P.S. Note to mods: I have a nagging feeling that this post belongs somewhere off the general forum, but I failed to sort it. My apologies if it's misplaced, and I certainly won't be offended if it mysteriously lands in [appropriate place]. Thanks.
    Ry'n ni yma o hyd, er gwaethaf pawb a phopeth.

2. The Following 4 Users say 'Aye' to Taffy Jack For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Taffy Jack View Post
    I've been engaged upon a decidedly lackadaisical hunt for brown wingtip brogues to wear with a belt and [sweater/tweed/unadorned shirt] for a while now. Recently, I stumbled across these:

https://www.nordstromrack.com/shop/p...r=DARK%20BROWN

As of today, my pair is in-hand received. So far, I'm delighted by them. I sized up a half-size to 12-M US, as I'm on the long end of 11.5 US and they'll be worn with kilt hose -- perhaps over compression socks.

They seem sturdy, have trail-worthy soles firmly attached, and smell delightful. Firm grip from the heel box. The leather, though probably silicone-impregnated (it's tagged "waterproof leather"), bears the rich aroma of oil-tanning. Finish is a matte chocolate brown, with full-wrap wings. Wings are brogued along their upper edges; there's no toe-punch detailing. The laces are the waxed dark brown hue of a "burnt umber" Crayola.

These shoes look sharp enough to make my wife smile, cost a pittance from the Rack (something like 65% off), and they feel good on my feet. Frye has a solid reputation in the boot world and I hope these will prove to be high-mileage items.

I know tastes very, but if you're looking for a semi-rustic pair of wingtips, you might want to check these out while they're on discount (marked down from $299 to $79).

As for me, no more slumming it in slip-ons!

Cheers,

Jack

P.S. To clarify, I do NOT work for Nordstrom Rack or any affiliated vendor.

P.P.S. Note to mods: I have a nagging feeling that this post belongs somewhere off the general forum, but I failed to sort it. My apologies if it's misplaced, and I certainly won't be offended if it mysteriously lands in [appropriate place]. Thanks.
    Search on the UK version of EBay and look for Army surplus brogues. Warren Officers and Officers wore brown brogues. You'll also find black brogues worn by Scottish soldiers. Some are second hand and some are hobnailed. Avoid hobnails for town wear as they can esaily slip.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_f...ogues&_sacat=0
    Gweld Dim Ond Y Gwir

4. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Mel1721L For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow! - Frye's even.

They look great and what a price! - Great Find, enjoy.

6. The Following User Says 'Aye' to MikePotts For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congrats on the purchase, Taffy Jack. That's a decent looking shoe for out-of-doors activities. It's very similar to the pair that Shaun Maxwell wears to the Highland Games around here. They look to me like oil-tanned leather. They won't take a polish, but can be well maintained with mink oil paste or similar products to keep them water-resistant and prevent the leather from drying/cracking. It will also give them a medium sheen if buffed well, although not a high shine.

It's interesting that the website calls them "Wingtip Oxfords". There is nothing about these that would fit the Oxford category. I won't profess to be a shoe style expert, but I would call them more of a "longwing derby semi-brogue" (or perhaps even quarter brogue, since the cap is not brogued). But eh, that's a mouthful. Whatever you want to call them, I hope you enjoy them!
    Last edited by Tobus; 29th January 19 at 06:19 AM.

8. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Tobus For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jack, those are fine looking shoes. My brown shoes are Bass and lighter in color. I got them because they were wider (E in American size) than other shoes available at the time. I hope your shoes provide you with many years of comfort as mine have for me.

Give us your thoughts on shining. I was thinking of Tobus's thread on polishing.

10. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Tarheel For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congratulations on a nice looking and reasonably priced pair brogues!

As Tobus mentioned, I have a near identical pair (Johnston & Murphy “Jennings” — with lug soles). I periodically give them a good coating of Red Wing boot oil, which keeps them darkened to a nice chocolate brown. I find them to be more comfortable than the thinner leather soles of my dressier wingtips for wear at Texas Highland games, where the ground is often rocky and uneven.

Hope you have the same good experience I have!

SM
    Shaun Maxwell
    Vice President & Texas Commissioner
    Clan Maxwell Society

12. The Following User Says 'Aye' to ShaunMaxwell For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mel1721L View Post
    Search on the UK version of EBay and look for Army surplus brogues. Warren Officers and Officers wore brown brogues. You'll also find black brogues worn by Scottish soldiers. Some are second hand and some are hobnailed. Avoid hobnails for town wear as they can esaily slip.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_f...ogues&_sacat=0
    Just on a point of confirmation (not criticism), we officer types officially wear brown Oxfords, not brogues. The Highland regts wear black brogues. Can't open the ebay link so I am commenting in the dark!! No offence intended to anyone!
    Dduw Bendithia pob Celtiaid

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Blaidd View Post
    Just on a point of confirmation (not criticism), we officer types officially wear brown Oxfords, not brogues. The Highland regts wear black brogues. Can't open the ebay link so I am commenting in the dark!! No offence intended to anyone!
    See if this link works. This is to us OR's brogues. I stand corrected on WO's and Officers shoes.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...ogues&_sacat=0
    Gweld Dim Ond Y Gwir

15. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Mel1721L For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarheel View Post
    Give us your thoughts on shining. I was thinking of Tobus's thread on polishing.
    I won't be shining these. They're not a gloss finish. Bit of leather butter from time to time, and keeping them clean, is the care regimen I have in mind.

For shoes (or boots) that I do shine, I have a strict rule of never using power tools. That came after I fairly ripped the surface off a toe cap, foolishly using a full-speed (i.e. 3,650 rpm) grinder with a cloth buff. I'm back to spit shining in tiny circles, with the humility of a private soldier.

Cheers,

Jack
    Ry'n ni yma o hyd, er gwaethaf pawb a phopeth.

17. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Taffy Jack For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Those shoes are very nice! I love the weathered-looking leather.

Too bad I need 14US (and with certain shoes 15).

I've been looking for shoes very much like that, brown, not too light and not too dark, to wear at the Games.
    Last edited by OC Richard; 30th January 19 at 08:07 AM.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

19. The Following User Says 'Aye' to OC Richard For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast