X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Freedom Kilts website Scotweb websiten Burnetts and Struth website The Scottish Trading Company
Xmarks advertising information Celtic Croft website Xmarks advertising information Celtic Corner website Xmarks advertising information

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Officiating at a wedding

I'm a Justice of the Peace and I'll be officiating at a wedding this weekend. The bride has requested that I perform the ceremony kilted. It is an evening wedding so semi-formal. I'll be wearing my traditional (high rise) Ancient Buchanan kilt with a black Argyle jacket, white shirt and tie. Ghillie brogues because they are the nicest shoes I have to go with the kilt. My question is should I wear my Cheviot kilt hose or a nice pair of solid black piper's hose? I'm thinking the Cheviot might be a bit over the top? Perhaps I've answered my own question.
    Not my circus, not my monkeys

2. The Following User Says 'Aye' to ctbuchanan For This Useful Post:

Victoria, BC Canada 48° 25' 47.31"N 123° 20' 4.59" W
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK, perhaps I am not understanding the words you are using.

Cheviot is one of the names used by House of Cheviot and denotes hose with a cable cuff.

Piper's Hose is a name used by Gaelic Themes for their line of hose with a very long, basket weave cuff.

Both are available in a wide range of different colors. Most people will not be able to tell any difference between a pair of Cheviot hose in Charcoal gray from a pair of Piper's Hose in Charcoal gray.

Am I missing something?
    Steve Ashton
    Forum Owner

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you're in contact with the bride, why not just put it on, snap a photo, and ask "hey, I wasn't sure about "x" is this suitable?"

5. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Jumpmonkey For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's my personal style, but I have found for me the best look is when the hose match the color of the waistcoat. Black waistcoat black hose, claret waistcoat, claret hose, and so forth.

Steve Ashton advocates for casual wear any color shirt closely matched to the color of the hose will go well with a kilt of any tartan despite its colors. My waistcoat and hose matching is a more formal variation of this.

I get by quite well wearing pipers hose for any occasion. For now I have three waistcoats, black, light gray and claret. There are pipers hose to match each. The only issue I have is yellow hose to match my yellow silk waistcoat long in the works.
    Benning School for Boys
    97th Company
    OC 5-68

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    With a kilt in the Ancient Buchanan tartan no hose can count as “over the top.”

Are you thinking about different colors of hose, or are you concerned about the cable-knit vs. smoother knit texture?

Myself, I favor colored hose whenever possible rather than black or white.
    Descended from Patiences of Avoch | McColls of Glasgow
    Member, Clan Mackenzie Society of the Americas | Clan Donald USA

"We have this hope, a sure and steadfast anchor of the soul." (Heb. 6:19)

8. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to revdpatience For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Ashton View Post
    OK, perhaps I am not understanding the words you are using.

Cheviot is one of the names used by House of Cheviot and denotes hose with a cable cuff.

Piper's Hose is a name used by Gaelic Themes for their line of hose with a very long, basket weave cuff.

Both are available in a wide range of different colors. Most people will not be able to tell any difference between a pair of Cheviot hose in Charcoal gray from a pair of Piper's Hose in Charcoal gray.

Am I missing something?
    You are absolutely right. To clarify; the Cheviot are diced with colors complementary to the kilt tartan. The Pipers hose are solid black with the basket weave cuff.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Benning Boy View Post
    It's my personal style, but I have found for me the best look is when the hose match the color of the waistcoat. Black waistcoat black hose, claret waistcoat, claret hose, and so forth.

Steve Ashton advocates for casual wear any color shirt closely matched to the color of the hose will go well with a kilt of any tartan despite its colors. My waistcoat and hose matching is a more formal variation of this.

I get by quite well wearing pipers hose for any occasion. For now I have three waistcoats, black, light gray and claret. There are pipers hose to match each. The only issue I have is yellow hose to match my yellow silk waistcoat long in the works.

I am dispensing with the waistcoat as the temps are forecast here to be 90F (32C) and humid and the ceremony is out of doors.

I appreciate all the comments - so much to consider.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not a huge fan of black hose, but give the choice between those and diced hose for this context, I would choose the plain black. Diced hose would be over-the-top for wearing with a plain black Argyle jacket, sans waistcoat, with a long tie.

12. The Following 7 Users say 'Aye' to Tobus For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds like the perfect excuse to twist Rocky's arm to quick ship a new pair of hose.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Decision made: I went through all my kilt hose and found a nice pair of solid color cabled hose I'd forgotten about. They are a pale tweedy green that I picked up for a wedding I was a guest at years ago. I found a matching tie last night so it will all be pulled together.

Photos coming next week.

Thanks for all the input.

15. The Following 5 Users say 'Aye' to ctbuchanan For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast