X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Freedom Kilts website Scotweb websiten Burnetts and Struth website The Scottish Trading Company
Xmarks advertising information Celtic Croft website Xmarks advertising information Celtic Corner website Xmarks advertising information

User Tag List

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I used to wear my kilt hiking most of the decade I lived in Japan. Lots of stares, lots of smiles, and at least one occasion of being offered a wee dram from a Japanese hiker's flask when we arrived at the summit.
    Duos habet et bene pendentes!

To my eye, the peacock -- the male peacock, has escaped his cage, and I don't think anyone's going to be able to corral him or get him back into the cage of conformity. He's on his own now, and he's flying high!
    - Bill Cunningam (NY Times photographer)

2. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to CDNSushi For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are four environments (here in Mississippi) where I am or was kilted.
    The first used to be motorcycle rallies. Most other folks kilted were military veterans (as I am) and little was said of our choice in clothing.
    The second place are outings (dinners and parties) where my being kilted has become common place as I am more often kilted than not.
    The third situation is when I am showing a 1030 Model A at pregame football outings at the local university. People will likely ask, "where is your kilt?" if I don't wear it.
    Finally, is when I kilt up on a whim. I get nods and smiles or am ignored totally.

My casual kilting is in good taste (never sloppy) and all the other times I dress "business smart or semi-formal". I contribute my confidence to the acceptance of the public here. It is possible that the varied cultures of college students here help in acceptance of the odd or unusual dress and customs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Anything outside of "the norm" is bound to get attention. The reactions I've gotten range from the genuinely curious to extremely positive. Personally, part of why I wear kilts is to show diversity, to just add some variety to life. Perhaps the more people see variety, the more they'll appreciate it in all of its wonderful forms.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had hoped to wear my kilt for Burns Day, but the weather this week in Beijing is ferociously cold. I've been wearing my Russian fur ushanka hat all week, to keep my ears warm. So I wasn't ready to bare my knees. And the thought of experiencing the knife-sharp wind coming up between my legs was, well, chilling.

I did wear a tartan tie, although I don't think anyone noticed. However, I did wear my kilt 2 months ago for St. Andrew's Day and definitely got noticed and shared some Scottish culture with my students then.

Andrew

6. The Following User Says 'Aye' to kingandrew For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MacKenzieKlan View Post
    I see a lot of people who won't make eye contact or who subtly avoid me, like taking their time to let me get further ahead.
    You're being self-conscious. I've been out in public in kilts for years, and I have found that most people just don't care; the ones who do care are overwhelmingly in favor; the few who will voice objection are generally sour-faced females who are, ironically, wearing pants, which makes your retort absurdly easy: "Nice pants, you bold champion of orthodoxy, you!"

I am more likely to get comments, all positive, while hiking. It's because people are just there to walk, unlike shopping. Speaking of which:

And how about public places like gas stations and grocery stores?
    Just put on your kilt and go to Home Depot. Rip that Band-Aid right off, man.

In my local grocery store, I get a few complaints when I'm not wearing a kilt.

8. The Following 5 Users say 'Aye' to Ugly Bear For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kingandrew View Post
    I had hoped to wear my kilt for Burns Day, but the weather this week in Beijing is ferociously cold. I've been wearing my Russian fur ushanka hat all week, to keep my ears warm. So I wasn't ready to bare my knees. And the thought of experiencing the knife-sharp wind coming up between my legs was, well, chilling.

I did wear a tartan tie, although I don't think anyone noticed. However, I did wear my kilt 2 months ago for St. Andrew's Day and definitely got noticed and shared some Scottish culture with my students then.

Andrew
    Iím sure our Calgary winters can match yours. My solution is to wear a lond dress overcoat while outside.
    "Good judgement comes from experience, and experience
    well, that comes from poor judgement."
    A. A. Milne

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have hiked trails near Estes Park where people have spoken to me and made eye contact the most. When I hike south of Denver in Castlewood Canyon State Park I get more people avoiding me.
    I hike down in Sedalia along the Indian Creek in my utility kilt. Everybody says hello. Ladies smile and wish, men aren't sure what their women are thinking. My wife just tells me to walk faster.

11. The Following User Says 'Aye' to ibrew4u For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I hike various places in Colorado in my hiking and utility kilts. Living around the NW corner of the metro area I hit trails in the foothills nearby. I walk the dogs through the neighborhood and go fishing kilted, too. River sandals and a kilt beat waders on warm summer days. Most of the responses to my appearance are positive. A few, who probably lead sheltered lives, are puzzled or stand off. Try a Mountain Hardwear hiking kilt for real hiking comfort. (REI sells them on-line.) I shortened one just a bit above my knees for hill hiking. They drag on knees and get annoying while climbing. I'm old enough that I don't care what others think about my appearance. I dress to meet my standards not theirs.
    You don't get to judge me by your standards. I have to judge me by mine.
    Sir Timothy

13. The Following 4 Users say 'Aye' to Taj For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Liam,

I have no doubt Calgary winters are not for the faint of heart. In Beijing, I can generally wear the kilt most of winter, but this past few weeks have been outstandingly bitter and windy (the wind roaring in from Mongolia is the worst part).

Unfortunately, while my long coat reaches below my knees, the wind easily slips under and through the vent when I am kilted. I am originally from Florida, so my kilt is rather lightweight: 5 yards of 11-ounce wool. I'd probably fare better in a heavyweight tank or military model.

I have worn a full-length cloak over the kilt and remained perfectly warm walking through snow. But sadly, my home-made cloak is in storage in the USA and I haven't had a chance to get my Beijing tailor to make me one here, yet. I had hoped to have it ready for next week's compulsory Chinese New Year "Party" ("We invite you to join us for this festive occasion," the invitation reads, "You must have your supervisor's permission if you are absent."). But I'm afraid my busy schedule over the past few weeks has left it a little too late. My plan is to tough it out in the overcoat anyway, since it's a "formal" event and the only black-tie outfit I've got here is my Prince Charlie.

I do have some excellent LL Bean long underwear, but I just can't bring myself to wear tights under the kilt. It just seems wrong somehow.

Andrew

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I hike, train, and run ultramarathon distance races on trails in Michigan. I get positive comments and occasionally, questions about the reasons/comfort/advantages of doing so in a (sport)kilt. However, while hiking out of the woods and along a rural road in southern Ohio, a carload of men attempted to run
    me off the road. Further down the same road when I stopped at a little shop to rehydrate,I was warned that it was not safe for me to be hiking in the area while wearing a kilt. So, I guess it depends on where you are.

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast