X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Freedom Kilts website Scotweb websiten Burnetts and Struth website The Scottish Trading Company
Xmarks advertising information Xmarks advertising information Celtic Croft website Xmarks advertising information Xmarks advertising information

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There's a word for that...

Those burdened with a linguistic or an historic bent may find this brief rundown of Scots language (as contrasted with Scottish Gaelic) interesting:

https://www.atlasobscura.com/article...eid=5c11e2f09b
    Ry'n ni yma o hyd, er gwaethaf pawb a phopeth.

2. The Following 7 Users say 'Aye' to Taffy Jack For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good read! Thanks for sharing.
    "We are all connected...to each other, biologically; to the earth, chemically; to the universe, atomically...and that makes me smile." - Neil deGrasse Tyson

4. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Profane James For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for that interesting link, Taffy Jack, and it is so true how a dominant culture tries to suppress that of another it seeks to control. I wish I had a hot dinner for every time I have heard or read disparaging comments about road signs in Welsh or locals speaking their language which the listener objects to.
    Last edited by Ivor; 3rd October 18 at 07:59 AM.

6. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Ivor For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am quite familiar now with Scots, though I certainly don't understand all the words. I'm not half way through the last book of Lewis Grassic Gibbons early 20th century Scottish trilogy, "A Scots Quair." As long as I read it as a stream of consciousness, which is how I believe the author intended, I pretty much get it. Very interesting set of books, and my first introduction to Scots.

Frank
    Ne Obliviscaris

8. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to frank_a For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Unless I missed it, the article didn't mention Lallans. Is this generally considered synonymous with Scots, or is it one of the distinct regional (lowlands, I presume) dialects?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tobus View Post
    Unless I missed it, the article didn't mention Lallans. Is this generally considered synonymous with Scots, or is it one of the distinct regional (lowlands, I presume) dialects?
    Yes, everything except Doric (Northeast), Orkney and Shetland which are hard for Central Belt Scots to cope with. Few people speak Lallans these days. There are, of course, many fine subdivisions in all the dialects.

Alan

11. The Following 4 Users say 'Aye' to neloon For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am very passionate about the Scot Leid. Something that is a living language and needs to be nurtured as such.

It resonates with me the Scottish Cringe - my mother, a teacher for decades, finds people talking Scots almost abhorrent, something the unwashed do. But it is not her fault, for generations this was the party line and speaking the Queen's English was aspirational (even if a few choice Scots words slipped out after a dram or two).

Even though I've been living in the US for a couple of years I want to ensure my 7 year old son still has an ear for it. We converse with one another in the mither tongue as often as possible, much to the confusion of my Aussie wife.

13. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to Hirsty For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been trying to pick up a bit of Scots here and there, mainly because Robert Burns is an unofficial patron of my Lodge and some of our more illustrious brothers tend to recite his poetry at official gatherings.
    Clans: Armstrong and Guthrie on Father's side.
    Other heritage: Mostly German and some Polish on Mother's side.
    Kilts: One badly-sewn Armstrong modern budget kilt.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I saw a great documentary video online somewhere about the Lowland Scots dialect. The part tracing the history of the Scottish educational establishment's attitude towards the dialect sounded very similar to the history of the USA's educational establishment's attitude towards "Black English".

In the past children would be told that the dialect they spoke and home, and spoke with their peers, was incorrect and inferior and they were required to use only Standard English in class. This has been replaced with children being told that their home dialect is valid, but that there is also something known as "Standard English". They learn code-switching/diglossia depending on context.

How well I understand that! As my first language was Appalachian English. When we moved to California my sisters and I all learnt Standard English and we switched between home and public.
    Last edited by OC Richard; 5th October 18 at 06:33 PM.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

16. The Following 4 Users say 'Aye' to OC Richard For This Useful Post: