X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Freedom Kilts website Scotweb websiten Burnetts and Struth website The Scottish Trading Company
Xmarks advertising information Xmarks advertising information Celtic Croft website Xmarks advertising information Xmarks advertising information

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why do they make it that way?

Can anyone tell me why modern kilts have the under apron sewn up in a slight arch and there is always an odd arched dart in the left side of the kilt at the hem. Vintage and military kilts do not seem to have this. They are simply straight across the bottom. A new kilt I recently commissioned was made this way and it never laid quite flat. I took out the two arches and it lays beautifully now. Why do they do this?
    Thanks

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is not unique to modern kilts at all. It is done to prevent the left under apron lower edge from being visable behind the outer apron.

Many traditionally made, older, and military kilts include this small fold up. Just like there is a small fold up that looks like a hem at the deep and reverse pleat.

The cause is from the fact that the apron edges are tapered and at diagonal. A diagonal line is longer than a vertical one. The under apron edge is often unsupported except at the waistbanding and will hang straight down vertically.
    Last edited by The Wizard of BC; 14th October 18 at 12:55 AM.
    Steve Ashton
    www.freedomkilts.com
    Skype (webcam enabled) thewizardofbc
    I wear the kilt because:
    Swish + Swagger = Swoon.

3. The Following User Says 'Aye' to The Wizard of BC For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by The Wizard of BC View Post
    This is not unique to modern kilts at all. It is done to prevent the left under apron lower edge from being visable behind the outer apron.

Many traditionally made, older, and military kilts include this small fold up. Just like there is a small fold up that looks like a hem at the deep and reverse pleat.

The cause is from the fact that the apron edges are tapered and at diagonal. A diagonal line is longer than a vertical one. The under apron edge is often unsupported except at the waistbanding and will hang straight down vertically.
    This is what I suspected. Perhaps I am just shaped a little differently. The two new kilts I have look better with out it and I cannot detect anything showing that should not be. Perhaps the maker of the kilt just got a little over enthusiastic with the turn up.
    Thank you, De Tommy