X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Freedom Kilts website Scotweb websiten Burnetts and Struth website The Scottish Trading Company
Xmarks advertising information Celtic Croft website Xmarks advertising information Celtic Corner website Xmarks advertising information

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"You had a good home and left - you're right"

Wishing all my brother veterans a happy Veterans Day (in this country) and Remembrance Day (elsewhere). Let's not forget the ones who have paid the ultimate sacrifice for our freedom. Raise a glass for them.

Victoria, BC Canada 48 25' 47.31"N 123 20' 4.59" W
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know that X Marks is an international forum and that some, from countries other than the US, may be a bit confused about the difference between "Veterans Day" and "Memorial Day" in the US.

US Memorial Day: Is an annual Federal holiday celebrated the last Monday in May. Memorial Day is the holiday set aside to pay tribute to those who died serving in the military.

US Veterans Day: Is an annual Federal holiday celebrated on November 11 and is designated as a day to honor all who have served in the military.

In the US, Veterans Day began as "Armistice Day" to honor the end of WWI on November 11 1918. Today, in the Commonwealth Member States this day is known as "Remembrance Day". Hence the wearing of Poppies, in those countries, which were inspired by the poem "In Flanders Field" by John McCrae.

To my fellow veterans of the US military I honor all those who raised their hand and took the oath, in effect signing a blank check, "In any amount up-to, and including your life".

To my fellow Canadians -

https://youtu.be/2kX_3y3u5Uo
    Last edited by Steve Ashton; 11th November 19 at 01:27 PM.
    Steve Ashton
    Forum Owner

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for posting that,Steve. I'd never heard that before. YouTube in it's inevitable style suggested this. Equally moving. I thought.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQ7z_eANAP4

The last time my ancestors fought for Canada-it was French Canada and we were on the losing side.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is Remembrance Day, and also Remembrance Sunday, held on the nearest Sunday to 11 November:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Remembrance_Sunday

In the Commonwealth it's common to wear poppy pins in the week or so leading up to Remembrance Sunday.

Here is a pin from the UK (left, made from paper) and from Canada (right, made from flocked plastic)

(On a MultiCam hat.)

In the UK football clubs will wear poppy badges on their shirts, however here in the USA football teams might wear camouflage uniforms, or if not the players on the field, the coaching staff.

My grandfather served in WWI, my uncle, father-in-law, and stepfather served in WWII. These fine gentlemen, US Army veterans, have all passed.
    Last edited by OC Richard; 12th November 19 at 03:49 PM.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

5. The Following User Says 'Aye' to OC Richard For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I was young, ( in the 1950s) here in the more rural areas of the Fraser Valley, BC, it was the norm for everything and everyone to stop, and stand silent, for those two minutes, on November 11th. Traffic, pedestrians... seemingly everything was stopped and silent. It’s a shame that this is no longer the case.
    waulk softly and carry a big schtick

7. The Following 6 Users say 'Aye' to jhockin For This Useful Post: