X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Freedom Kilts website Scotweb websiten Burnetts and Struth website The Scottish Trading Company
Xmarks advertising information Celtic Croft website Xmarks advertising information Celtic Corner website Xmarks advertising information

User Tag List

View Poll Results: Your 2019 Burns supper outfit?

Voters
69. You may not vote on this poll
  • Black Prince Charlie outfit

18 26.09%
  • Black Argyll outfit

11 15.94%
  • non-black PC or Argyll

3 4.35%
  • Montrose Sheriffmuir etc

7 10.14%
  • Tartan jacket kilt outfit

0 0%
  • other kilted Evening outfit

3 4.35%
  • Tweed jacket kilt outfit

17 24.64%
  • Casual kilt outfit

7 10.14%
  • Tartan trouser outfit

1 1.45%
  • Saxon dress

2 2.90%
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Your 2019 Burns supper outfit

With Burns suppers the world over upon us now, I was wondering what us XMarks gents were wearing.

(I feel that ladies' dress deserves its own poll.)

To clarify the poll options:

1 through 8 assume a kilt outfit.

3: This is for Highland kilt outfits featuring Prince Charlies or Argylls in other colours such as green, blue, etc. except for tartan or tweed which have their own options.

4: This is for Highland kilt outfits featuring jacket styles other than Prince Charlie or Argyll such as Montrose, Kenmore, Sheriffmuir, Regulation Doublet, etc in all colours except for tartan or tweed which have their own options.

5. Any Highland kilt outfit which includes a tartan jacket of any style.

6. Any Highland Evening Dress kilt outfit which does not fall within the above categories, say gents wearing waistcoats without jackets, or in shirtsleeves.

7. Any Highland kilt outfit featuring a tweed jacket of any style or colour including charcoal grey, lovat blues or greens, check tweed, or any tweed except black. (Black jackets are covered in other options.)

8. Casual kilt outfits of any sort not covered by the options above: kilts with jumpers, utility kilts, kilts with golf shirts, kilts with t-shirts, and so forth.

9. Tartan trousers/trews outfits.

10. Sassunach/Saxon dress of any sort including ordinary suits, outfits including slacks with sports coats, waistcoats, or shirtsleeves, casual attire, and so forth. For the sake of the poll (having only ten options) gents wearing tartan jackets with Saxon dress fall under this option.

A note for pipers: Many of us are pipers who might be wearing Pipe Band kit at the Burns event we are piping at.

For the vast majority of Pipe Bands the world over this includes a black Barathea waistcoat with silver buttons and a black sporran with silver cantle. Option #6 is the appropriate one for this form of dress. Also for the sake of the poll we could consider the small number of pipers wearing the full military-style Full Dress as falling under option #6 "other".

However many pipers will be wearing outfits falling under one of the other options, say pipers wearing black Argylls falling under option #2, and so forth.

Thanks!!

And it would be very nice if people in addition to voting in the poll also posted pics of their outfits. Group photos are always nice in that they give a wider impression of the dress at various Burns dinners.
    Last edited by OC Richard; 24th January 19 at 05:49 AM.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

2. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to OC Richard For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sheriffmuir black jacket with MacDonald of the Isles tartan, diced (red.black) hose, black flashes, red/black/white diced glengarry, black shoes, full dress sporran, white shirt with black bowtie and of course black waistcoat. Simple and sharp.
    Allan Collin MacDonald III
    Grandfather - Clan Donald, MacDonald (Clanranald) /MacBride, Antigonish, NS, 1791
    Grandmother - Clan Chisholm of Strathglass, West River, Antigonish, 1803
    Scottish Roots: Knoidart, Inverness, Scotland, then to Antigonish, Nova Scotia, Canada.

4. The Following User Says 'Aye' to CollinMacD For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll be wearing my Black PC, thinking of going in my Scottish wildcat kilt with purple hose and black gillie brogues.
    "Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.' Benjamin Franklin

6. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Richrail For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This Saturday will be my first Burns Night outing and my first time in a non-utility kilt in about a dozen years. I'll be wearing a black Argyll and 5-button waistcoat with my New World Celts tartan, bottle green hose with red flashes (and a red pocket square, if I can find one that's a close enough match to the flashes), brogued black Florsheim wingtips, dress sporran, white shirt with French cuffs and turn-down collar, and an emerald green tie.
    Verbing weirds language.

8. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to TheGratefulNed For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In the past, I have usually gone with option 1 (Black PC outfit). Last year I went with option 7 (Tweed jacket outfit). Our Burns Supper is this Saturday, and I'm still undecided which way to go. I'll do the poll and post pictures after the event.
    Allen Sinclair
    Eastern Region Vice President
    North Carolina Commissioner
    Clan Sinclair Association (USA)

10. The Following User Says 'Aye' to ASinclair For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Event this year is black tie optional (still don't understand this one)..so staying on the more formal end of the scale

12. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Taskr For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I won’t be able to make the Burns Dinner either in DC, where I am for work, or in Milwaukee, which I’d normally attend.

So instead I will wear my lovat green tweed jacket and waistcoat with my kilt to the office tomorrow and bring Walker’s Shortbread for my colleagues to enjoy (more than they’d enjoy haggis, probably).
    Descended from Patiences of Avoch | McColls of Glasgow
    Member, Clan Mackenzie Society of the Americas | Clan Donald USA

"We have this hope, a sure and steadfast anchor of the soul." (Heb. 6:19)

14. The Following User Says 'Aye' to revdpatience For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm piping at two Burns events again this year, Friday night with the Pipe Band and Saturday night just me.

The band will be dressed like this: Prince Charles Edward Stuart kilts, black Barathea waistcoats with silver buttons, black sporrans with silver cantles, black hose, ghillies

For my solo gig I'll probably be dressed in my usual go-to outfit: black Argyll, Isle Of Skye kilt, Edwardian goathair sporran, Cheviot hose, ghillies

Last edited by OC Richard; 24th January 19 at 05:33 PM.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

16. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to OC Richard For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Off to a Burns Supper this evening. Probably wear my jacobite shirt.
    Vice-President and Regional Director for Scotland for Clan Cunningham International, and a Scottish Armiger.

18. The Following User Says 'Aye' to cessna152towser For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Burns Supper here is not very formal. I'll be wearing MacPhail with a charcoal tweed Wallace Jacket & Waistcoat. I will wear a tie.
    Craig Jones
    ---
    It’s a lang road that’s no goat a turnin

20. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Creag For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast