X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Freedom Kilts website Scotweb websiten Burnetts and Struth website The Scottish Trading Company
Xmarks advertising information Celtic Croft website Xmarks advertising information Celtic Corner website Xmarks advertising information

User Tag List

View Poll Results: Your 2019 Burns supper outfit?

Voters
68. You may not vote on this poll
  • Black Prince Charlie outfit

17 25.00%
  • Black Argyll outfit

11 16.18%
  • non-black PC or Argyll

3 4.41%
  • Montrose Sheriffmuir etc

7 10.29%
  • Tartan jacket kilt outfit

0 0%
  • other kilted Evening outfit

3 4.41%
  • Tweed jacket kilt outfit

17 25.00%
  • Casual kilt outfit

7 10.29%
  • Tartan trouser outfit

1 1.47%
  • Saxon dress

2 2.94%
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Depends on the formality of the supper, I guess.

The one I am attending is black tie (and fairly formal judging from previous years' events) - so for me a straight choice between PC or Black Argyle. I have gone for the latter with a bow tie.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd be the 7 above: charcoal gray tweed, tattersall shirt and tie, and a Weathered Armagh tartan kilt (handmade by Ms. Tewksberry). My hose are either a cranberry color with blue tied garters, or lovat green with red ties. The sporran is brown leather, custom made by Artificer. My waist plate is bronze with the USMC Eagle, Globe and Anchor emblem on it.

I will likely wear a navy balmoral bonnet with a white cockade and, likely, either a clan badge, a thistle badge, or a Masonic emblem. I made the cockade with 3" grosgrain ribbon.
    Jim Killman
    Philosopher, Teacher of English and Math, Soldier of Fortune, Bon Vivant, Heart Transplant Recipient, Knight of St. Andrew (among other knighthoods)
    Freedom is not free, but the US Marine Corps will pay most of your share.

3. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to thescot For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For the Clan Derby Burns supper and ceilidh, I wore a dark blue tweed jacket, white ghillie shirt, kilt, hose and brogues. Almost as soon as I got in the door, the jacket came off, such was the temperature and stayed off for the rest of the evening. For tonight see Kilted Fridays, a much cooler evening.
    If you are going to do it, do it in a kilt!

5. The Following User Says 'Aye' to tpa For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have to apologise for forgetting to include a choice for military gents attending in uniform.

So it would be nice if these men would chime in, here in the thread.

BTW non-black tweed kilt jackets are now leading, which surprises me. Though taken together the black Prince Charlies and Argylls are ahead.
    Last edited by OC Richard; 25th January 19 at 11:16 AM.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

Victoria, British Columbia, Canada (OCONCAN)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    By Saturday night I'll have been to four Burns events. The first was a supper at home for a dozen people, and I wore a dressy short-sleeved shirt. Today (a Burns event at a senior's home) and tonight (a supper at a local distillery) will be a forest green silver-buttoned argyll jacket, and tomorrow night (our pipe band's supper) will be a dark blue silver-buttoned argyll (band issue). Maybe I'll wear a tweed jacket and waistcoat tonight; I'll decide later.
    "Touch not the cat bot a glove."

8. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Macman For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mrs Jock and I and a couple of Australian visitors went out for a low key dinner last night, to be honest none of us had even thought about Burns Night. We all were clad in saxon attire------for no other reason than thats what we happened to be wearing----- and amongst the offerings on the menu there was indeed haggis, but then, there nearly always is. We all chose something different and not one of us chose haggis. In the establishment, no mention of Burns Night and not a kilt was to be seen.

Would I have donned the kilt had I remembered it was Burns Night? No.
    Last edited by Jock Scot; 26th January 19 at 01:51 AM. Reason: spelling.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

10. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It doesn't surprise me that these Burns events are a bigger thing in the Scottish diaspora than in Scotland. It's an ex-pat thing, and we have other examples here such as people of Mexican ancestry making a much bigger deal about Cinco de Mayo than it is in Mexico, and Irish ex-pats in New York holding a Saint Patricks Day parade beginning in the mid-18th century while Dublin didn't have one until the 1980s.

In any case our Pipe Band played at a well-attended Burns event last night. Most of the men were in Saxon dress, mostly suits or slacks, shirt, and tie but one Scot was in blue jeans and golf shirt.

Most of the Scots were in Prince Charlie outfits, several having a swath of white between waistcoat and kilt.

The best-dressed man was a young military man, handsome and perfectly groomed, in a black Argyll (with miniature versions of his medals), kilt with bows, evening dress sealskin sporran, black and red diced full hose, and buckled brogues. I've know this man since he was lad, when his father played in the same band as myself.

It was wonderful to hear all of the readings done by Scots! Tonight will be the typical thing of Americans struggling through Burns' dialect works. (Why Americans don't read the Burns poems that were written in Standard English baffles me.)

"Burns wrote in three languages: Scots, English, and the Scots-English dialect for which he is best known today."
    Last edited by OC Richard; 26th January 19 at 08:27 AM.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally I voted Black Argyll, but have changed my mind to tweed. Well, I should say that my wife told me to wear my tweed, and who am I to argue?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I enjoyed my first Burns Night at the local pub. I am the one wearing the green tweed on the left. It was a fun night.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Burns Night 25Jan2019.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	60.7 KB 
ID:	36193
    Last edited by Scooter; 26th January 19 at 03:08 PM. Reason: Photo wouldn't upload properly.
    May you have warm words on a cool evening, a full moon on a dark night, and a smooth road all the way to your door. - Irish Blessing

14. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Scooter For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I went with tweed again, like last year. Here are @carolinanan117 and me at the Greensboro Scottish Country Dance Society Thirty-Fourth Annual Anniversary Supper for Robert Burns.

Allen Sinclair
    Eastern Region Vice President
    North Carolina Commissioner
    Clan Sinclair Association (USA)

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast