X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

South African Arms?

Printable View

• 7th August 13, 04:25 PM
    Ethanintn
    South African Arms?
    Hello,I was wondering if anyone knew the current rate for getting a South African coat of arms,I am from and live in the US,so translated into USD please.Do they have any age restriction,as I am fifteen.

Thank-you and stand sure

Ethan Walling
  • 7th August 13, 06:12 PM
    davidlpope
    I believe the total cost is north of $1,000 these days.
  • 7th August 13, 06:41 PM
    Ethanintn
    Thank-you for the price,davidlpope.

Thank-you and stand sure,

Ethan Walling
  • 7th August 13, 06:50 PM
    Holcombe Thomas
    It might be worthwhile to look at the website of the American Heraldry Society for lots of information on the granting of arms and on the assumption of arms. http://www.americanheraldry.org/

Holcombe
  • 7th August 13, 07:25 PM
    Ethanintn
    Thank-you,Holcombe Thomas,for that link.

Ethan Walling
  • 8th August 13, 10:01 AM
    Mike_Oettle
    Hi, Ethan –
    the tariffs of the Bureau of Heraldry can be found at: http://www.national.archives.gov.za/...and%202011.pdf
    The fee for registering a shield and crest comes to R5 060, which at today’s rates is $515.70. So much for “north of $1,000”.
    The staff at the bureau are very professional, and provide expert advice with regard to your preferences.
    As a registered armiger I can recommend them wholeheartedly.
    Regards,
    Mike
  • 8th August 13, 01:10 PM
    Ethanintn
    Thank-you,Mr.Oettle,that is very helpful.

Ethan Walling
  • 8th August 13, 01:22 PM
    Ethanintn
    Do you think that it would be better for me to get a South African grant of arms,or register a coat of arms with the American College of Heraldry.

Ethan Walling
  • 8th August 13, 02:53 PM
    Holcombe Thomas
    A complicated questions, this. My own, very personal, view is that one should only seek the granting of arms from an authority with which one has a connection. A would-be Irish armiger, with no connection to Scotland, would not be well-served in seeking arms from the Lord Lyon and, indeed, would most likely not qualify for Scottish arms anyway.

There are other opinions, of course, and the South Africans have, from what I've seen, a reputation for both quality service and reasonable fees for those applying for arms.

Holcombe
  • 8th August 13, 05:14 PM
    Ethanintn
    Thank-you,that view is quite right,since I have no connection at all with South Africa,I had best stay with the US.

Ethan Walling

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!