X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

FS two vintage sporrans

Printable View

• 13th May 19, 04:49 PM
    OC Richard
    FS two vintage sporrans
    I'm getting too many sporrans! So some must go.

Selling the sporran on the right, plain brown leather. I estimate from its style that it's probably from the 1950s. The condition is near-new, like it's not been worn. I'd like to get around $50 for it, shipping in the USA included. No belt.

Also selling the sporran to bottom, an old Evening Dress sporran, offwhite fur with grey fur tassels. The cantle and balls are silver-plated. It has the typical stamps: the cantle is stamped "made in Scotland" on the side, and the sporran body has the standard oval gold stamp "made in Scotland real leather". The back is darkish red leather. The sporran is in very nice condition. probably from the 1950s through 1960s. Comes with the chain strap that came with it when I got it. I'd like to get $60 for it, shipping in the USA included.

https://i.imgur.com/nPsPF3O.jpg
  • 13th May 19, 05:52 PM
    Delta Six
    Dear OC Richard,

My heart skipped a beat when I read that you were selling a couple of sporrans -- I skipped two when I saw the photo.
    Hopping against hope that it was your lovely goat hair, Edwardian sporran, but alas it is not to be.
    I've admired that one for sometime now. Someday I'll find one that comes close, but most likely it will never truly match that one for the sheer beauty of it.
    Good luck!

Aye,
    Six
  • 13th May 19, 07:43 PM
    McMurdo
    PM Sent regarding the dress sporran
  • 14th May 19, 05:17 AM
    OC Richard
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Delta Six View Post
    Hoping against hope that it was your lovely goat hair, Edwardian sporran, but alas it is not to be.
    I've admired that one for sometime now. Someday I'll find one that comes close, but most likely it will never truly match that one for the sheer beauty of it.

Sorry! That one, I'll never part with. For one thing it's so roomy! Besides very nice-looking.

I've never seen that cantle anywhere! Not in person, not online, not in my vintage catalogues.

But it was cast in a mould so they must have made a number of them, perhaps a large number of them.
  • 13th July 19, 02:47 PM
    Curtis Bias
    Did these sell? I don't see the photos for some reason.

Cheers!
  • 14th July 19, 05:00 AM
    OC Richard
    This one's still for sale. This is the "before" photo, I polished the metal and it looks much nicer now.

https://i.imgur.com/jKFVp1D.jpg

I'd like to get $60 OBO/ONO for it (free shipping in the USA).
  • 14th July 19, 11:25 AM
    Curtis Bias
    Thanks for posting the photo. It's not really myvstyle, but the price is reasonable. Good luck with the sale.
  • 15th July 19, 11:31 AM
    Baeau
    Hmmmmmmmm?
  • 24th July 19, 01:28 PM
    BThomHie
    white sporran
    still for sale?
  • 24th July 19, 04:39 PM
    Mike S
    Same here about the goat hair sporran. I covet and envy that one, no lie. ;)

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!