X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

Polishing a sporran

Printable View

• 8th December 18, 12:50 AM
    Garth
    7 Attachment(s)
    Polishing a sporran
    I had some free time this morning and thought I'd polish my sporran.

Being ex-military this is the only way I know how:

Melt bee's wax using a hair dryer or butane flame. I used the latter. Using cotton wool and Kiwi polish and a polish lid with water, rub the polish in after waiting for the wax to dry. Dip the cotton wool into the water and using small circular rotations 'bone' or 'bully' the polish onto the leather. Repeat until desired effect or until the wife calls you away to run an errand.

I buffed up the front with Kiwi polish. The internal flap I used Dubbin. The flap is now really soft and easy to open and close. It's no longer an ironing board. I also buffed up th back of the sporran with Dubbin 'neutral '. I really dont want any product on my kilt apron. The back of the sporran belt I Dubboned as well.

Attachment 35831

Attachment 35832

Attachment 35917

Attachment 35918

Attachment 35919

Attachment 35920

Attachment 35921
  • 8th December 18, 03:49 AM
    John_Carrick
    A wee blast of furniture polish and a rub with a soft cloth worked when my McCrosty looked a bit sorry for itself the other day
  • 8th December 18, 09:24 AM
    Tarheel
    Quote:

Originally Posted by John_Carrick View Post
    A wee blast of furniture polish and a rub with a soft cloth worked when my McCrosty looked a bit sorry for itself the other day

I have to ask John, was the furniture polish scented? I can imagine honey bees attracted to the lemony fresh scent of Pledge (product popular in America) and landing on your sporran. Consequences could be tricky.
  • 8th December 18, 10:47 AM
    John_Carrick
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tarheel View Post
    I have to ask John, was the furniture polish scented? I can imagine honey bees attracted to the lemony fresh scent of Pledge (product popular in America) and landing on your sporran. Consequences could be tricky.

We have Pledge in Europe - other brands are available. Luckily the bees have given me a board berth so far but I shall be wary from now on.
  • 8th December 18, 05:39 PM
    Garth
    John, what brand of furniture polish? I'd give it a bash and compare results.

Garth
  • 9th December 18, 04:29 AM
    Garth
    1 Attachment(s)
    I found myself in Bunnings Hardware this afternoon and thought of John and wondered if this is what he would use:

Attachment 35841
  • 10th December 18, 08:28 AM
    John_Carrick
    Pledge or Mr Sheen or the supermarket's own
    John

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!