X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers
  • 19th August 21, 04:48 AM
    Professor Mac X
    Best practices for mailing a kilt
    Could I beg some best practices for packing a kilt for mailing (to ensure the recipient gets the kilt in the best shape possible)? Or if this has been covered in an older thread, you could point me to it?
    Cheers!

p.s., I wasn’t sure if this post fit better in this category or the Kilt Advice category—please correct me if necessary.
  • 19th August 21, 06:51 AM
    Riverkilt
    I've done a LOT of kilt mailing from churning my collection and shipping off for alterations. I do what my kiltmaker does. She uses the USPS Priority Mail "Board Game Box." It's the perfect size for mailing a kilt or two - depending upon the material.

https://store.usps.com/store/product...gbfrb-P_GB_FRB

I choose to wrap the kilt I'm shipping in a plastic bag just in case the carton breaks open.

You can also easily include other items like flashes in with the shipment.
  • 19th August 21, 09:34 AM
    KennethSime
    Riverkilt has the right beta. I mailed two USA Kilts Casual kilts recently, and chose to use what USA Kilts used: a Medium Flat Rate Box. I also wrapped the kilts in plastic, just in case the box is damaged.

My first kilt ever was rolled, and placed in a shipping tube before being mailed from Scotland to California. It also had basting stitches, as is common with 8-yard wool kilts. This was ideal, as the pleats were perfectly crisp and there were no folds in the apron! I do think it's a bit more expensive, but worth it for nicer kilts.
  • 25th August 21, 10:23 AM
    Pleater
    Make sure that the plastic bag is sealed so that if the box gets wet there is less chance of the contents being affected.

I bought a quantity of tartan cloth and when delivered the packaging was disintegrating, the plastic bag holding the cloth had kept it all together, but it was wet through, the bag had not only allowed the water in but had stopped it evaporating.

Luckily wool can survive being wet very well, but it did smell rather musty and had to be washed several times to restore it, then pressed, and pressing 10 meters of double width fabric is quite a workout.

With a kilt you might need to take out the basting thread to wash and dry it, then put them back for the pressing, also a lot of work, so best avoided if at all possible.

Anne the Pleater

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!