X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

Knitted Waistcoat?

Printable View

• 1st November 22, 05:29 AM
    Iain Ruaidh
    2 Attachment(s)
    Knitted Waistcoat?
    Attachment 42063
    So my wife made this for me
  • 1st November 22, 07:10 AM
    bdkilted
    Looks good.
  • 1st November 22, 08:22 AM
    Father Bill
    I'm wearing one right now, same colour even. Not with the loving stitches of my wife though. Good for you, lad!
  • 2nd November 22, 08:06 AM
    CaptainPanda
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Iain Ruaidh View Post
    Attachment 42063
    So my wife made this for me

She should consider making more!
  • 2nd November 22, 08:09 AM
    Iain Ruaidh
    Quote:

Originally Posted by CaptainPanda View Post
    She should consider making more!

She’s selecting a pattern to make herself a cardigan next in between the quilting and church baking.
  • 12th November 22, 06:07 AM
    Guiness gets my Irish up
    I like it!
  • 12th November 22, 11:08 AM
    AFS1970
    An interesting look. Years ago, my mother made a needlepoint waistcoat for my brother, and it was in tartan. If I remember correctly, it was a kit from a local store, but she laid out the tartan pattern herself.

Nice to see that handmade art is still a thing.
  • 18th January 23, 06:24 AM
    Tobus
    1 Attachment(s)
    I've been giving this a lot of thought recently as I do more knitting. (Still have a lot of projects in the socks & kilt hose queue, though.)

One pattern I'm eager to try is this one, called the "spiral-spun waistcoat". It's from a 1940s wartime publication with knitting patterns for service members. Women were encouraged to "knit their bit" for the war effort. With some minor shortening, I think it would make a nice waistcoat with a kilt.

http://www.xmarksthescot.com/forum/a...id=42298&stc=1
  • 18th January 23, 09:54 PM
    Pleater
    Trying to go to the website included in the last post flashed up a red warning as the site appears to have been reported as unsafe.

If anyone wants a similar pattern I have loads of then and could scan some rather than have anyone risk the integrity of their PC.

I have made a lot of pullovers, tank tops and similar sleeveless items over the years, both by hand and machine as I find them much more useful than heavier sleeved garments.

I used to be 'into' canals and was delighted to discover that the navies used to wear knitted waistcoats which were felted and embroidered by the wives and womenfolk.

Anne the Pleater

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!