X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

Weekender to Nashville

Printable View

• 31st May 09, 02:27 PM
    Dan R Porter
    Weekender to Nashville
    I will be in Nashville June 12,13, and 14. On Nashvilles tourist website I saw little that interested me other then the zoo and botanical gardens.

Anything I should not miss? Any resturants with Lamb stew or shephards pie? Thanks!

Respectfully,
    Dan
  • 1st June 09, 05:01 AM
    HeathBar
    You know...I've lived around Nashville all my life and unless you are in to Country Music, there's not a lot to see and do. The zoo is a wonderful zoo. They have made a lot of progress in the last 10 years and have plans to grow even more. They just got a credidation that will help them. They are not a cages type zoo. Animals are displayed in natural settings. Are you going to be in downtown Nashville, or one of the outlying areas.

Within 30 miles of Nashville, you can find Civil War battle fields, the Hermitage (Home of Andrew Jackson) and other historical locations. If you like shoping, there are a least a half dozen indoor and outdoor malls. No kilt shops though.

If you do like Country Music, there is the Country Music Hall of Fame, the Ryman Auditorium, and the Grand Ole Opry. You will be here to catch one of 3 shows Friday through Saturday.

Where exactly will you be staying. All of Davidson County is considered Metro Nashville. With some ideas I can tell you where to go and where not to go.
  • 1st June 09, 11:11 AM
    Dan R Porter
    well
    I am staying in Mufreesboro but we have plans to go to the Nashville Zoo Sat morning. ANy good Irish/Scottish resturants nearby?
  • 1st June 09, 12:03 PM
    HeathBar
    Well... Mufreesboro is on my side of town. The only pub place I know of is Mulligan's on 2nd Ave, downtown Nashville. There is one in Franklin's Historic District, but its tiny...real tiny.

The Stone's River National Battlefield is in Murfreesboro. Its worth the visit if you have time. The battlefield suffered damage to some old trees and fencing during the Good Friday tornado in April.

I don't know if you have a local going with you or not, but the part of town that the zoo is in, is not really the best place to hang around when you are finished with the zoo.

Being in Murfreesboro, you are not all that far from Jack Daniel's Distillery. Its just maybe an hour or two east of M'boro on I-24.
  • 1st June 09, 12:07 PM
    Dan R Porter
    well
    So the zoo would not be a good place to go kilted is what you are saying?
  • 1st June 09, 12:26 PM
    HeathBar
    Sent you a PM.

I hope you enjoy your stay.
  • 4th June 09, 10:12 AM
    SoulFyre777
    There are also two Dan McGuinness pubs in and around NashVegas... One in downtown and one in a suburb of Franklin called Cool Springs...

Dan McGuinness

I'd like to meet up with you if you had time but I'm out of town for a wedding this weekend... :evil:

Have fun!

Edit: I'm an idiot! I thought you were coming in this weekend.... I'm off next weekend... Hmm... Might this be an opportunity for a NashVegas XMTS Rabble get-together???

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!