X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

New from Iowa, USA

Printable View

• 20th September 10, 08:48 PM
    scoutman77
    New from Iowa, USA
    I don't have a kilt yet, I found this forum looking for how to wear a kilt for the renaissance festival. I don't know if I have the courage to wear a kilt out in the world yet. but... sometime!
  • 20th September 10, 09:23 PM
    Kiltman
    Welcome from Eastern Washington State. Just go ahead and do it.
  • 21st September 10, 03:47 AM
    Urchurdan
    Go for it..
    Welcome, and yes - go for it. I have worn the kilt often in Iowa where my wife hails from, and have never had anything but great comments from people. - Well, apart from a yanny at a County Fair I was at, who thought he would make sport with 'the guy in the skirt'.
    Unfortunately for him, he didn't get a 'guy in a skirt', he got a very angry Scotsman in a kilt.....

http://i817.photobucket.com/albums/z...harlieanim.gif
  • 21st September 10, 03:59 AM
    macwilkin
    Welcome from Southwest "Misery"!

I'll echo what Urchurdan said about wearing a kilt in Iowa; I wore my Iowa tartan kilt to my great-aunt's 100th birthday party in Cedar Falls a year ago; she literaly married a "Norwegian Bachelor Farmer" and the Scottish branch of our family were vastly outnumbered that day by various Swedes, Danes, Norwegians and Germans -- yet we made our presence known when we brought along a piper to serenade her! :cool: :scotland:

My Scottish ancestors immigrated to Southeastern Iowa and slowly made their way north through Des Moines to present-day Wright County. My grandmother was born in the shadow of the state capitol building in East Village.

You might also try attending an event such as a Burns Supper or Scottish Games; I can give you a few contacts in the Iowa Scottish community.

And finally, you might enjoy my article on Iowa's Scottish Heritage:

http://www.scottishtartans.org/iowa.htm

A picture of my Iowa tartan kilt may be found at the bottom of the article.

Yours aye,

Todd
  • 21st September 10, 04:45 AM
    2a5t2f7
    :welcome: from Charleston, SC. As the N*ke add says, "Just Do It."
  • 21st September 10, 06:51 AM
    McFarkus
    :welcome: from Chicago (and Galena, Illinois just across the river from Dubuque).
  • 21st September 10, 12:31 PM
    Chas
    Hello scoutman,

Welcome to XMarks from the other side of the Atlantic in Norfolk, England.

Regards

Chas
  • 21st September 10, 01:45 PM
    scoutman77
    Quote:

Originally Posted by cajunscot View Post
    Welcome from Southwest "Misery"!

I'll echo what Urchurdan said about wearing a kilt in Iowa; I wore my Iowa tartan kilt to my great-aunt's 100th birthday party in Cedar Falls a year ago; she literaly married a "Norwegian Bachelor Farmer" and the Scottish branch of our family were vastly outnumbered that day by various Swedes, Danes, Norwegians and Germans -- yet we made our presence known when we brought along a piper to serenade her! :cool: :scotland:

My Scottish ancestors immigrated to Southeastern Iowa and slowly made their way north through Des Moines to present-day Wright County. My grandmother was born in the shadow of the state capitol building in East Village.

You might also try attending an event such as a Burns Supper or Scottish Games; I can give you a few contacts in the Iowa Scottish community.

And finally, you might enjoy my article on Iowa's Scottish Heritage:

http://www.scottishtartans.org/iowa.htm

A picture of my Iowa tartan kilt may be found at the bottom of the article.

Yours aye,

Todd

My wife is from Eagle Grove, I'm from Webster city! talk about a small world!
  • 21st September 10, 02:07 PM
    scoutman77
    Thank You, Cajunscot, that was a load of information! I would certainly be interested in the information on Scottish heritage in Iowa!
  • 21st September 10, 02:21 PM
    denmcdough
    :welcome:

From PA

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!