X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

Interesting weaving issue

Printable View

• 11th August 13, 12:14 PM
    M. A. C. Newsome
    I agree with Rocky that weaving tartan this way would not help at all with the asymmetric problem. I have, over the course of my kilt making career, encountered some lengths of cloth woven this way. To my recollection, they were all older lengths, purchased off of ebay or sent to me from a client for CMT work. Never from one of the mills currently operating within Scotland which I order from.

It doesn't really affect the kilt making one bit. Just surprising if you don't know what you are looking at.
  • 11th August 13, 12:26 PM
    Barb T
    I ordered a piece of asymmetric tartan with a reverse in sett at the center line directly from one of the major mills in Scotland in 2000. The Lamont Heather that was the original subject of this post was custom woven last spring by Lochcarron.
  • 11th August 13, 06:55 PM
    RockyR
    Just because they weave the cloth doesn't mean they think the process all the way through to how us kiltmakers would view it...
  • 11th August 13, 07:49 PM
    Aspiringloser
    http://i1089.photobucket.com/albums/...r/DSC03759.jpg
    This is in my to do pile. It is from Locharron.
  • 11th August 13, 07:59 PM
    xman
    Stewart Hunting Extra Mustard
  • 11th August 13, 08:02 PM
    Aspiringloser
    Nice one!!
  • 11th August 13, 09:55 PM
    The Wizard of BC
    All of my custom weave work is done by Marton Mills. I enjoy the option of talking to them if I have any special requests.

On three occasions now I have requested fabric that resulted in just this sort of 'kissing in the middle' look.

In one case the order was for the Stewart Hunting Tartan. I needed the yellow stripe a certain distance from the selvedge to match pre-existing fabric. I also needed a particular Sett size. The only way to achieve what I asked for was to let the Tartan "Kiss in the middle".

I was not worried about having to reverse fabric so an asymmetrical Sett was not a factor.
  • 12th August 13, 04:25 AM
    M. A. C. Newsome
    Come to think of it, I believe I've done Hunting Stewart kilts from Lochcarron cloth that was woven this way. I just didn't give it much thought.

For kilt makers it's actually a perfectly fine way to weave the cloth. It becomes an issue when you intend to do something else with the cloth, like make a waistcoat or jacket, upholster your sofa, or make a banner for the clan gathering, etc. Then you need to be very careful to work around the "hiccup" in the center of the cloth.

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!