X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers
  • 4th January 12, 09:15 PM
    Standard
    Re: Kilt Kamp 2012 - Who wants to learn to make a kilt?
    Wish I could attend, but since we are taking a group of scouts backpacking for two weeks this summer, going to my sons college graduation... Ah well, maybe next year.
  • 5th January 12, 11:32 AM
    jhockin
    I'm definitely interested! I have a place to stay, within walking distance. What is class size limit ( assuming there is one)?
  • 5th January 12, 11:55 AM
    Steve Ashton
    For Barb's class the limit is determined by classroom size, and available tables and chairs. As we are working to rent the hall next door we have room for 20-25.
    Barb always gives each student the personal attention they deserve. At the second Kilt Kamp she had 17 students and everything was fine.

If you want to take the contemporary classes we are limited by sewing machines. I have four industrial machines set up with ironing and layout tables. So I will set the class size at 8.
  • 5th January 12, 12:21 PM
    jhockin
    I'm interested in both!:D
  • 7th January 12, 11:14 AM
    Barb T
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Big Mikey View Post
    My maple whiskey collection is in for one helluva hit!

Hahahahahaha....
  • 7th January 12, 01:05 PM
    cryerelizabeth
    Is there a way we could bring our own sewing machine? If not then I'll just see if I can get a spot I one of your slots
  • 7th January 12, 03:47 PM
    Steve Ashton
    I don't mind you bringing your own machine. I hope it is not an industrial. The excess shipping would be almost as much as the cost of the course.

Also, your pressure foot should be able to be raised at least 1/2" and perhaps 5/8" so all the layers of fabric will fit under it.

You should also lay in a good supply of extra needles. #18's or what you would sew denim with.

If you tell me what make and model your machine is perhaps we have one here that is the same and save you lugging yours through the airport.
  • 9th January 12, 09:06 AM
    cryerelizabeth
    My sewing machine is a Singer model 9018. My mom usualy uses it and she's teaching me how to right now.
  • 11th January 12, 12:45 PM
    beerbecue
    What if we would like to come for just one or two days to work on specific problem areas?
  • 11th January 12, 01:31 PM
    Steve Ashton
    If you would like to come for just one or two days that would be fine. The entire course is to allow the students to complete a full kilt. But if you just want to work on a particular problem area either Barb or I should be able to answer your questions.

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!