X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

Royal Company of Archers

Printable View

• 17th October 20, 10:38 AM
    kilted redleg
    Royal Company of Archers
    Reading the piping blog "the piping press" a letter from Gerard Moulin explains he is researching the Royal Company of Archers [RCA] pipe band. He has come up with some early pictures but cannot identify the tartan; thinks it might be the Royal Stewart but is unsure. He's contacted the RCA and they know nothing about the band. Here's the website https://pipingpress.com/2020/10/17/r...d-in-scotland/ if anyone can help this researcher out please do so. You can post your answer at the bottom of the article.

Thanks Rabble
  • 17th October 20, 11:29 PM
    figheadair
    The tartan is definitely Royal Stewart.

The only plaid that is obvious is that of the drummer in the RCA-3 picture. It is not a Fly Plaid (a relatively modern invention) but a Drummer's or Half Plaid.

I had never heard of the RCA Pipe Band and will have to update my paper on the RCA tartan. I can't find anything about the Edinburgh Post Office Pipe Band or what they wore. Given the source and small numbers involved in the RCA PB I'd have thought it is possible that the majority of their uniform was borrowed from the EPO PB.
  • 18th October 20, 12:31 PM
    Ninehostages
    Any arrows sticking out of the piper's back?

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!