X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

Makes of bagpipes

Printable View

• 6th August 09, 01:13 PM
    RB51
    The pipe band in Kamloops had a blind piper, a young fellow, who had someone with him to help out. This person would walk, unobtrusively, at his elbow and guide him along. When they would stand and play the helper would step back and then move forward when needed. The first time I saw this it seemed a bit odd, but it's amazing how quickly it just became a natural part of their performance. I haven't seen him play the last several times so I don't know if he's moved along or not. If you were thinking of getting into a band don't let your vision, or lack thereof, be a factor...there is always a way around!

Laurie
  • 6th August 09, 01:39 PM
    gseven1
    I would love to own a set of wood pipes, but here in Utah with the dry climate, my piping instructor recommended that I go with synthetic. Consequently, I have a set of Dunbar P2s. I was amazed at how well they sound. They are also great because they are very very low maintenance. Great for a guy with two jobs. :-)
  • 6th August 09, 02:20 PM
    MacAngus
    There are alot of makes here in the u.s. alone we have.
    Atherton, Gibson, Kron, MacHarg, cushings,pipeline
    I'm probably forgetting a few.
    I play a set of Dn5 Naills with runic silver engraving and also a set of 1919 Robertsons.
  • 6th August 09, 02:54 PM
    beloitpiper
    Quote:

Originally Posted by RB51 View Post
    The pipe band in Kamloops had a blind piper, a young fellow, who had someone with him to help out. This person would walk, unobtrusively, at his elbow and guide him along. When they would stand and play the helper would step back and then move forward when needed. The first time I saw this it seemed a bit odd, but it's amazing how quickly it just became a natural part of their performance. I haven't seen him play the last several times so I don't know if he's moved along or not. If you were thinking of getting into a band don't let your vision, or lack thereof, be a factor...there is always a way around!

Laurie

Celtic Nations Pipe Band in Milwaukee has a blind piper as well. Her husband guides her by hooking arms when they march, just like you described. The husband wore the full band uniform and doesn't look out of place at all.
  • 6th August 09, 03:15 PM
    Dall_Piobaire
    Quote:

Originally Posted by RB51 View Post

Laurie

Thanks Laurie. That is great!

Where there is a will there is a way..right!
  • 6th August 09, 03:19 PM
    Dall_Piobaire
    So, you guys don't think it looks really obtrusive. I mean I know most times it's just the march to the circle and off, other than massed bands. Maybe I shouldn't give up on that!
  • 6th August 09, 04:38 PM
    george7
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Dall_Piobaire View Post
    So, you guys don't think it looks really obtrusive. I mean I know most times it's just the march to the circle and off, other than massed bands. Maybe I shouldn't give up on that!

Yeah, don't give up. If you're on Xmarks, presumably you see well enough to read text.

I say go for it. You can follow the beat of the bass drum. If you've got to march in a line, maybe the guy in front can wear a different shirt. Obviously I don't know exactly how good you can or can't see, but even partial vision should be good enough for parades.
  • 6th August 09, 05:38 PM
    EagleJCS
    I play 2001 Crisler rosewoods, imitation ivory mounts. (Peter Crisler is a small maker, local to me - once a member of the band & still on the roster. Currently very backed up on orders - pipe making is a sideline for him).
  • 6th August 09, 05:42 PM
    Dall_Piobaire
    Quote:

Originally Posted by george7 View Post
    Yeah, don't give up. If you're on Xmarks, presumably you see well enough to read text.

I say go for it. You can follow the beat of the bass drum. If you've got to march in a line, maybe the guy in front can wear a different shirt. Obviously I don't know exactly how good you can or can't see, but even partial vision should be good enough for parades.

Yeah, I can see well enough to march righ now. Most of the vision in my left eye is gone. My right eye is bad, can't read much but sheet music and text on the computer anymore. It is suppossed to get worse, so far though, so good...no changes!

Thanks for the encouragement, it is much appreciated!

Scott
  • 6th August 09, 06:43 PM
    Ozark Ridge Rider
    I have a borrowed set of Dallas pipes. They're pretty old - 50 years or more. I'm not sure I know enough to judge, but they sound pretty good to me.

Several years ago he lost the chanter overboard in the firth and replaced it with a Hardie. My fingers are pretty inexperienced but I really like the way it notes and fingers.

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!