X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

need help. Just bought a new kilt but dont know the measurements of it.

Hi Kilted Rabble.

One of my good friend had a sale on items from her store at are local pre Highland Games pipe band competition yesterday. She sold me a Royal Stewart kilt. She doesn't know where she got it or what size it was. it was sealed in a plastic bag and I was only able to fully examine it when I got home from the competition. I'll include pictures down below. One of the straps has what I think is measurements (if you can decipher it) on it but I cant be for sure. if not, how would I measure the kilt?

Thanks

file:///C:/Users/patri/OneDrive/Pictures/Kilt%20Front.jpg

file:///C:/Users/patri/OneDrive/Pictures/Kilt%20Back.jpg

file:///C:/Users/patri/OneDrive/Pictures/Kilt%20Size%20Maybe.jpg
    Last edited by Patty Logan; 5th May 24 at 12:18 PM.
    Clan Logan Representative of Ontario
    https://www.instagram.com/clanlogan_ontario_canada/ (that's where i post my blogs)
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCVgTGPvWpU7cAv4KJ4cWRpQ

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You'll need a different way to load pictures.

That said, lay it flat out and measure the whole length and multiply by 0.66.

or

while flat measure from one strap to the corresponding buckle.

Either of these should get you pretty close.
    "There is no merit in being wet and/or cold and sartorial elegance take second place to common sense." Jock Scot

3. The Following User Says 'Aye' to DCampbell16B For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would just add that you want to measure the width of the kilt opened up and laid flat from the end of the cloth where one strap is attached, to the other end of the cloth where the higher of the two straps is attached.

That gives the waist size that the cloth portion of the kilt is built for, which isn't necessarily where the kilt fits now.

Because used kilts, especially Pipe Band kilts, oftentimes have had the buckles moved or longer straps attached to adjust the waist size.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

5. The Following User Says 'Aye' to OC Richard For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are various ways of measuring the size of the kilt, but probably the most intuitive and practical way is to buckle the straps like they would be buckled whilst wearing it (at the tightest/first set of strap holes), and lay the kilt on a flat surface. Measure the distance of the inside of the waistband from one side to the other, then multiply that by 2. You can repeat this with the buckles at the last strap holes for the larger adjustment of the waist.

The hip size is a bit harder to truly measure but can be approximated by measuring across the fell area, still with the kilt buckled and laid flat.

7. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Tobus For This Useful Post:

Victoria, BC Canada 48° 25' 47.31"N 123° 20' 4.59" W
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The way that we would measure an unknown kilt when it came into my shop was pretty simple.

You find the Waist circumference by measuring at the height of the top strap, from the right outer apron edge, across the back of the kilt to the right edge of the under apron.
    (You do not include the under Apron)

This kilt has a Waist circumference of 34".

Then you find the Hip circumference. Again measure from right apron edge to right apron edge, but this time down at the level of the bottom of the Fell. Or the bottom of where the pleats are sewn down.

The hip circumference of this kilt is 42.5".

The Drop of a kilt is the one thing that most people don't know how to measure.
    A kilt made in the Traditional manner flares out above the top strap to fit over the bottom of the ribcage.

A kilt made in a more modern manner does not flare out.

The Traditionally made kilt the Drop is measured from the center of the top strap, down to the Selvedge or bottom edge.
    Then from the center of the top strap up to the top band is the Rise.

This kilt has a Drop of 23" and a Rise of 2" (Total length = 25")

A kilt made in the more modern method is measured from the top of the top band down to the hem. Or total length.
    Steve Ashton
    Forum Owner

9. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Steve Ashton For This Useful Post: