X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Need suggestions for belted plaid

Greetings friends,

Long version
    Having jumped into the world of kilting and being kilted I started off by choosing the belted plaid to wear in all of its elegance and charm... and unnecessary complexity. The problem I'm having is being unsure how to store such a massive piece of fabric (6 meters of double width). It came to me folded down the middle lengthwise and then in sections like one might fold a towel or something. But I've noticed after having worn it several times and all I'm not entirely sure the best way to store it without adding additional wrinkles and folds. Not to mention, have you ever tried ironing 8.4 square meters of fabric? This prospect isn't thrilling. Although, I'm assuming I could safely iron out the wrinkles if I choose? I noticed in the pictures my clansmen took that there are some pretty obvious hardset wrinkles in the fabric. Doesn't help I drove two hours in a little celica. I realize this garment was worn and used as a utility in antiquity but this is currently one of my most formal outfits in representation of clan who isn't very active in my state. Thanks for any suggestions you can give me! IMG_2990_zps12d95290.jpg

Short version
    Can anyone recommend the best way to store a belted plaid's worth of tartan without adding lots of wrinkles and folds? Also, can you confirm it's safe for me to iron out the wrinkles in my 28 square feet worth of tartan wool? Thanks!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is there any way that you can roll it up? It 's an old trick I learned in Scouting. Not only does it reduce wrinkles but it stores easier for packing.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmm, maybe. Perhaps on a cardboard tube? That sounds like a possible idea.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use a piece of canvas to roll my belted plads. Lay it out and pleate it like you were going to wear it. then fold the approns over as if you were in it. I then fold it enough to get the canvas under it and then from the botton roll it up. This will help press the pleates and make it easier to put on next time.

The canvas should be slightly longer and wider. I believe mine are 64'' x 26". I then use a piece of leather strap to tie arround the bundle and store it.

Thanks Yuri909 for noticing the ' instead of " ;-}
    Last edited by Madadh; 1st May 13 at 03:06 AM.