X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Retired Forum Manager
    Gentleman of X Marks

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sporting our XMTS colors today

Today I took my lovely daughter to the annual Children's Ball and Tea for our San Francisco branch of the Royal Scottish Country Dance Society.

Now I can't share any photos from the Ball itself (for obvious privacy reasons concerning the other children), but I wanted to share this one my lovely F-H.C.A.G. took of us before we headed out the door. The Ball is considered a formal event, but since it is held in the afternoon I decided that a Prince Charlie would be far too much.

I am proud to say my daughter danced almost the whole program and those she sat out were because she chose to, not that she couldn't do them. ith:

Cheers

Jamie
    Last edited by Panache; 24th March 12 at 08:59 PM.
    -See it there, a white plume
    Over the battle - A diamond in the ash
    Of the ultimate combustion-My panache

Edmond Rostand

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up

Great outfit there Jamie!
    Order of the Dandelion, The Houston Area Kilt Society, Bald Rabble in Kilts, Kilted Texas Rabble Rousers, The Flatcap Confederation, Kilted Playtron Group.
    "If you’re going to talk the talk, you’ve got to walk the walk"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is a lovely photo -- thank you for sharing.

The Northern Appalachian Highlands of Southern Ohio
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very nice outfit. Is the bonnet Lovat blue?

Please forgive me, but I couldn't help but notice a possible issue with your left lapel/collar (maybe it's my eyes or an optical illusion?). It is such a departure from your normal impeccable dress.

Otherwise, up to your usual outstanding standards.

Retired Forum Manager
    Gentleman of X Marks

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DrummerBoy View Post
    Very nice outfit. Is the bonnet Lovat blue?

Please forgive me, but I couldn't help but notice a possible issue with your left lapel/collar (maybe it's my eyes or an optical illusion?). It is such a departure from your normal impeccable dress.

Otherwise, up to your usual outstanding standards.

David,

In answer to your query I think what you are referring to is actually one of my bonnet's ribbons that has alighted on my lapel and not a problem with the lapel itself. I know the prevalant fashion for balmoral bonnets is to tie these in a bow at the back of the hat as opposed to leaving them free and dangling for a glengarry bonnet. Personally I have always liked the look of the trailing ribbons and leave them untied on all my Scottish bonnets. It gives a certain pan... ...err...flair that I like.

Kudos to you though and your sharp eyesight for spotting the potential flaw! My vision isn't so good anymore and without my reading glasses I'm hopeless!

In friendship

Jamie
    Last edited by Panache; 25th March 12 at 10:05 AM.

Edmond Rostand

The downland village of Storrington, West Sussex, United Kingdom (50º 55' 15.42"N 0º 26' 13.44"W)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jamie, a gorgeous photo and, Oh my, isn't Zena growing up? You both look so very stylish and perfectly turned out for an afternoon Ball. I am just a little concerned however. It would appear that the red 'hoops' on the Belle of the Ball's skirt are begining to drop off ....... one can be seen in a full-flowing downward direction! Or am I mistaken?!

Take care,
    Ham.

[PS: Did you get to dance or was that for the children only?]
    [B][I][U]No. of Kilts[/U][/I][/B][I]:[/I] 102.[I] [B]"[U][B]Title[/B]"[/U][/B][/I]: Lord Hamish Bicknell, Laird of Lochaber / [B][U][I]Life Member:[/I][/U][/B] The Scottish Tartans Authority / [B][U][I]Life Member:[/I][/U][/B] The Royal Scottish Country Dance Society / [U][I][B]Member:[/B][/I][/U] The Ardbeg Committee / [I][B][U]My NEW Photo Album[/U]: [/B][/I][COLOR=purple]Sadly, and with great regret, it seems my extensive and comprehensive album may now have been lost forever![/COLOR]/

The Northern Appalachian Highlands of Southern Ohio
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ahh.. It is crystal clear now. Thanks.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looking good Jamie.
    Regional Director for Scotland for Clan Cunningham International, and a Scottish Armiger.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice pic. Sounds like a wonderful outing.
    KD

Retired Forum Manager
    Gentleman of X Marks

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hamish View Post
    Jamie, a gorgeous photo and, Oh my, isn't Zena growing up? You both look so very stylish and perfectly turned out for an afternoon Ball. I am just a little concerned however. It would appear that the red 'hoops' on the Belle of the Ball's skirt are begining to drop off ....... one can be seen in a full-flowing downward direction! Or am I mistaken?!
    Ham,

Like David you have sharp eyes! That is the underskirt of the dress that is designed to have have that band hang (sort of floating) below the hem of the overskirt. For Christmas this year my wee girl asked for a fancy dress (posh frock). Star went out and bought her two. The girl chose to wear the gold and black one for our 6th annual Nor Cal Rabble Burns Night Supper and saved this number for the Children's Ball.

Quote Originally Posted by Hamish View Post
    [PS: Did you get to dance or was that for the children only?]
    It is really only for the Children. Teachers and those who have graduated from the children's classes to the adult classes assist on the floor and help fill numbers to make up sets. Parents and class managers (I'm both) stay on the sidelines. This is a good thing.

A few years back I was called on to help fill a set for the last dance. Of course I was happy to help. Unfortunately the dance proved to be the dreadful "Petronella". After barely making it through constant setting throughout the dance to my horror all the children raised their hands for a repetition. To my further horror the MC announced that the repeat wouldn't be once and to the bottom, it was the full dance.

Did I mention that I was in street shoes?

I was walking fine two or three days later...

Needless to say I'm glad that this Ball is for the kids only

And since then I have found the dance Petronella to be....not to my taste!

Cheers

Jamie

Edmond Rostand

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast