X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Under Apron On Modern Kilts

I've been more interested in Modern Kilts recently because of the convenience of pockets, but one thing has really be holding me back. The only narrow apron kilt I own currently is a standard 1 from UT Kilts. I love the way it looks and I hate the way the under apron is designed. For some weird reason it has a pleat right in the middle which makes it rub weirdly against my inner thigh. Moreover, the under apron only covers half of my leg, so there is a constant threat of exposing that which I don't want to be exposed. At first I figured this was just bad designed on the part of UT Kilt, but after poking around here (specifically http://www.xmarksthescot.com/forum/f...towaway-88606/) I found someone with the same problem.

My question I posit to you is this: Is the weird under apron a problem with all off-the-rack modern style kilts or just particular ones? Does anyone else have experience with this?

Victoria, BC Canada 48° 25' 47.31"N 123° 20' 4.59" W
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Utilikilt are who started the current thing with narrow aprons. Those who copied the UK have almost universally kept the narrow apron. Some makers have changed the under apron in some small way or another like UT.
    In general, if the garment has a narrow outer apron it will probably have a corresponding narrow under apron.

And for the record a kilt made in the traditional manner will have aprons which are slightly greater than 1/2 of the wearers waist circumference. A traditional style kilt will also have aprons which are wider at the bottom than at the waist. This is a design feature to allow the side edges of the aprons to hang straight down, vertically, when viewed from the side and not gape open.
    Steve Ashton
    Forum Owner

3. The Following 6 Users say 'Aye' to Steve Ashton For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had the opposite problem. When I made my first kilt out of denim, I copied the medium-apron RevK style of the UT standard. But I excluded the under apron pleat because I assumed it was just a sizing issue, i.e. making the pleated portion in fewer sizes and adding the pleat as needed to fit smaller waistbands (my size 40 UTs are indeed slightly asymmetrical). But I quickly noticed that the denim kilt's inner edge has a tendency to fall behind my left thigh as I walk. I've thus included that pleat on every wool and PV kilt I've made since, so the under apron can expand as I move and stay on the front of my leg.

Victoria, BC Canada 48° 25' 47.31"N 123° 20' 4.59" W
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And I make kilts with the full width aprons that over time has proven to work really well. I don't have any of the problems experienced with narrow aprons.

There is a myth that the narrow aprons fall between the legs easier when you sit. Well, sorry, it is the pleats to each side of the aprons that does that. A well designed kilt with full width aprons and generous deep and revers pleats will fall between the legs perfectly fine even if you squat.
    I always have problems with modesty sitting in my Utilikilt. I have never once had a problem with a full width apron.
    Steve Ashton
    Forum Owner

6. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Steve Ashton For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For me it's not a matter of practicality; I just happen to prefer the style. And I agree that I'd be too worried about flashing my skivvies in the likes of a Utilikilt or 511 (again, not to mention the inner edge getting on my nerves as I walk). But the medium-apron style, which is about 1/3 of the circumference, has never given me that problem. Literally the only time my modesty has been compromised was once when I was "Marilyn Monroed" by a really strong gust of wind...and that was the pleats, not the apron.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	utilikilts_mocker_tan.jpg 
Views:	441 
Size:	66.9 KB 
ID:	31099 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Canvas_Kilt_Black_front.jpg 
Views:	440 
Size:	15.0 KB 
ID:	31101
    Here you can clearly see the difference. On the left is a Utilikilt, while on the right is a utility kilt from Celtic Croft in the same overall style as the UTs that liammaclean is talking about.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Modern kilts arent the only ones with pockets. Steve builds them into his if you want them.
    The narrow apron might be a sizing compounding styling issue. I tried on a couple of whatever brand utility kits and found that the construction for fitting waist size simply didn't fit my shape very well, causing for odd fall of the aprons.
    Last edited by Taskr; 14th June 17 at 07:30 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I bought my first modern kilt from UT Kilts just about a week ago, the basic utlikilt that comes in a generic black tartan. Love the pockets, have to say the apron has not been a problem for me. Aprons probably cover about 2/5 of the way around and neither interfere with my legs or present a problem when sitting. Actually have more of a problem with one of my regular kilts where the apron is more like 55% of the circumference, seems to just stick to my leg and stays tight across the lap.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dollander View Post
    For me it's not a matter of practicality; I just happen to prefer the style. And I agree that I'd be too worried about flashing my skivvies in the likes of a Utilikilt or 511 (again, not to mention the inner edge getting on my nerves as I walk). But the medium-apron style, which is about 1/3 of the circumference, has never given me that problem. Literally the only time my modesty has been compromised was once when I was "Marilyn Monroed" by a really strong gust of wind...and that was the pleats, not the apron.

Here you can clearly see the difference. On the left is a Utilikilt, while on the right is a utility kilt from Celtic Croft in the same overall style as the UTs that liammaclean is talking about.

Are you saying that the 5.11 is actually worse than the UT Kilt in this arena? I was thinking about picking up a 5.11 as my next kilt, but specifically because I thought it'd be better. My main issue with the UT Kilt was the under apron being difficult to manage when I was sitting on the ground cross legged or on a windy day, and (far less major) the pockets not being able to carry my kindle. But if I'm getting more crotch security with Brice's product I will just snag another, especially given that it's 15 dollars cheaper and comes in tartan.

Montgomery Village, Maryland, near Washington, District of Columbia
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by liammaclean View Post
    Are you saying that the 5.11 is actually worse than the UT Kilt in this arena? I was thinking about picking up a 5.11 as my next kilt, but specifically because I thought it'd be better. My main issue with the UT Kilt was the under apron being difficult to manage when I was sitting on the ground cross legged or on a windy day, and (far less major) the pockets not being able to carry my kindle. But if I'm getting more crotch security with Brice's product I will just snag another, especially given that it's 15 dollars cheaper and comes in tartan.
    I wear both traditional and modern kilts, and I have never had a problem with the 511 TDK.
    Geoff Withnell

"My comrades, they did never yield, for courage knows no bounds."
    No longer subject to reveille US Marine.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the 5.11 TDK would be improved by making the apron and the under apron wider. That said; the current version is not bad. It's built with a snap to hold the under apron closed. It seems to work well and I don't really have to make any extreme effort to keep from flashing unintenionally.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast