X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How do you feel about Grandfather shirts?

Awhile back, I picked up two Irish Grandfather shirts from Amazon, because I had a gift card to spend. If you've never worn one, it's a bit like a collarless flannel shirt. They're quite popular over in the Kilts & Culture group on Facebook, yet I haven't quite gotten to the point where I feel super comfortable with it - definitely not as bad as the ghillie shirt/jacobite shirt, but still feels a bit "costumey."

Anyway, here's me wearing one of the two, along with my new Niagara 5-yard from Burnett's & Struth.

How do you all feel about them?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gives me the impression of a rough working man of the 19th Century.
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster. Lover of God, dogs, most people, joy, tradition, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.

3. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Father Bill For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I prefer the look of the shirt just a wee tad more than those white hose and the view of the vest at your neck.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

5. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jock Scot View Post
    I prefer the look of the shirt just a wee tad more than those white hose and the view of the vest at your neck.
    Full agree. That waist coat doesn't really go with that shirt... like tennis shoes and a suit. Some will say yes, but I tend to opt away from "trends" or "fads". A rougher or coarser fabric waist coat could be a better option, if you're married to the "look". The hose appear to be ecru or almond, maybe... far enough from bleached white, for a pass.

At the end of the day, if you're happy, and your friends don't hide in the bushes, when someone comes around the corner, that's all that really matters.

But if it's unvarnished opinions you seek, come to xmarks.

Frank
    Last edited by Highland Logan; 13th April 21 at 02:40 AM.
    Drink to the fame of it -- The Tartan!
    Murdoch Maclean

7. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Highland Logan For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Combined with a pair of rough trousers, braces, bowyangs, flat cap and hobnail boots, I think they're perfect for the navvy look.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Highland Logan View Post
    Full agree. That waist coat doesn't really go with that shirt... like tennis shoes and a suit. Some will say yes, but I tend to opt away from "trends" or "fads". A rougher or coarser fabric waist coat could be a better option, if you're married to the "look". The hose appear to be ecru or almond, maybe... far enough from bleached white, for a pass.

At the end of the day, if you're happy, and your friends don't hide in the bushes, when someone comes around the corner, that's all that really matters.

But if it's unvarnished opinions you seek, come to xmarks.

Frank
    We have a trans-Atlantic misunderstanding of words here. When you read "vest" you think waistcoat. When I write "vest" I mean the garment worn under the shirt. You might call it a T shirt? And yes, some tailors in the UK use the term "vest" and they do mean "waistcoat"!

In the UK our vests(under garment) usually has a V neck or a deeply scalloped front part so nothing shows behind the open necked shirt. I don't know if the modern generation in the UK bother too much about the "vest" showing, but for my generation it was/is an absolute no-no. Akin to tucking your shirt into your underpants!

I was chatting to one of my Grand children, just and out of interest I asked him about a vest showing with an open shirt and apparently, "one does not have the vest showing ever! Surely you know that Grand Dad?!" I assured him that I did. Then came another comment over the phone that I think might explain the situation," I think its what Americans do?" I think he is right.
    Last edited by Jock Scot; 13th April 21 at 03:12 AM.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

10. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have a trans-Atlantic misunderstanding of words here. When you read "vest" you think waistcoat. When I write "vest" I mean the garment worn under the shirt. And yes, some tailors in the UK use the term "vest" and they do mean "waistcoat"!

In the UK our vests(under garment) usually has a V neck or a deeply scalloped front part so nothing shows behind the open necked shirt. I don't know if the modern generation bother too much about the "vest" showing, but for my generation it was/is an absolute no-no. Akin to tucking your shirt into your underpants!
    Ah.. here (depending on individual age and regional origin) that would be called a singlet, or under shirt. I recognize the phrase differences, and am glad to have learned something new. Thanks for being a fountain of knowledge Jock.

Critique still stands, despite. With that shirt style, the issue of the under shirt... "vest" showing, doesn't bother me that much, especially with a coarser fabric waist coat, or san waist coat.

I am after all just a heathen from the Colonies.

Frank
    Drink to the fame of it -- The Tartan!
    Murdoch Maclean

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Highland Logan View Post
    Ah.. here (depending on individual age and regional origin) that would be called a singlet, or under shirt. I recognize the phrase differences, and am glad to have learned something new. Thanks for being a fountain of knowledge Jock.

Critique still stands, despite. With that shirt style, the issue of the under shirt... "vest" showing, doesn't bother me that much, especially with a coarser fabric waist coat, or san waist coat.

I am after all just a heathen from the Colonies.

Frank
    I would use the word "singlet" rightly or wrongly, in terms of what an athlete wears on the top half of their body. I have heard the term used for an undergarment as well on occasion. I wonder if the term "singlet" is a technical name for a particular style of garment?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would use the word "singlet" rightly or wrongly, in terms of what an athlete wears on the top half of their body. I have heard the term used for an undergarment as well on occasion. I wonder if the term "singlet" is a technical name for a particular style of garment?
    Here you go, Jock. Rather points to a British usage.

noun

a sleeveless athletic jersey, especially a loose-fitting top worn by runners, joggers, etc.
    a single unit; an unpaired or separate item.
    Chiefly British. a man's undershirt or jersey.
    https://www.dictionary.com/browse/singlet

Definition of singlet

1 [from its having only one thickness of cloth] chiefly British : an athletic jersey also : undershirt https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/singlet
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster. Lover of God, dogs, most people, joy, tradition, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.

14. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Father Bill For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Scott View Post
    Combined with a pair of rough trousers, braces, bowyangs, flat cap and hobnail boots, I think they're perfect for the navvy look.

A shirt was a shirt back then. The Navvies just left off the starched collar and so did Grandfather, sometimes (really ... I'm actually old enough to remember).
    It was the same shirt minus a very uncomfortable and unnecessary accessory (think: leaving off the flashes!)
    Those ancient U Nialls from Donegal were a randy bunch.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast