X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Breachan anyone?

Has anyone got a Breachan? How do you find it? How different is it from a 'normal' kilt? Is it really any better for day use? Any other thoughts, much appreciated.

Cheers, Graham.

PS The Breachan = http://www.kinlochanderson.com/shop/...special-order/

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I only wear my breachen--as a rule--for very formal events. I wear it with a doublet with lace, a jeweled dirk, etc. Strictly for formal attire with a jewled broach at the breast. I don't even have a decent photo of the outfit, but it looks really cool, even on an old guy.

It could be worn quite well for day wear, but I personally would avoid any attempt to make it look like a costume unless it is Halloween or if I am going to a RenFest. With a blut face and a two-handed dirk, it works great for Halloween, and the kids love to see the sword.
    Jim Killman
    Writer, Philosopher, Teacher of English and Math, Soldier of Fortune, Bon Vivant, Heart Transplant Recipient, Knight of St. Andrew (among other knighthoods)
    Freedom is not free, but the US Marine Corps will pay most of your share.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hm, only guesses, here, from looking at the website you posted. My two cents?

--Looks like a low-rise, but otherwise, traditional kilt. Perhaps they use some tailoring methods similar to trousers?

--For 265-285 GBP and an 8 to 10 week wait, I think I would want something more custom than the stock sizes they offer.

Moosedog
    Last edited by Moosedog; 12th October 08 at 06:53 PM. Reason: clarification

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, I'm an idiot. I didnt' look at the site you mentioned. I thought you were talking about a breachan feile, a great kilt.

The one you show apprears to be a very nice kilt, low-rise with fewer yards of wool that a proper kilt. I own a 5-yard kilt and wear it often for day wear. It's a bit cooler than a full 8-yarder, but it still looks good. No one else knows it's the lighter version than me because it is well made.
    Jim Killman
    Writer, Philosopher, Teacher of English and Math, Soldier of Fortune, Bon Vivant, Heart Transplant Recipient, Knight of St. Andrew (among other knighthoods)
    Freedom is not free, but the US Marine Corps will pay most of your share.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I checked it out a few days ago on their site and thought it was nice but kind of expensive for something that is not a kilt and comes in sizes small through XXL. Five-hundred dollars is a bit too steep for me unless it is going to be fitted specifically to me. Just my opinion on it, looks very nice I have to admit.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's another page at that site that explains it a tiny bit further. They point out it is about half their usual price for kilts. Selecting an in-stock tartan does cut the price and the wait.

http://www.kinlochanderson.com/highl...g/the-breacan/

Moosedog
    Last edited by Moosedog; 12th October 08 at 10:52 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I bought one from KA about three years ago and have enjoyed wearing it.
    Advantages : good cloth; quick and easy to put on, as it has a small piece of velcro instead of a buckle on the left (there is a buckle on the outside, but it's just for show!); light weight, lots of pleats.
    But : the pleats are very shallow, and, judging from comments I have had, some people don't think it looks like a "real kilt" because of this. Shallow pleats do not lie flat.

They have certainly put the price up a lot; I remember paying about £150.

For a little more, you can get a 5-yarder with a more traditional look.

It is a pity the manufacturers prefer to sacrifice pleat depth rather than making fewer pleats.

Martin

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I should probable correct myself when saying the breachan is not a kilt. It is, but it has a price tag of an 8 yard 16oz fitted kilt and it is not that. I personally just would not spend that kind of money on an off the shelf casual kilt when you could get one allot cheaper from other very respectable companies. I still have to agree it does look really nice, I just do not get how they justify their price.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Check out Scotweb, a UK-based store that has very reasonable prices for kilts, gives good service, and is a sponsor of this forum. They made my first kilt and I'm very happy with it. 8-yard, 13 oz,. for about GBP 200.
    Convener, Georgia Chapter, House of Gordon (Boss H.O.G.)

Where 4 Scotsmen gather there'll usually be a fifth.
    7/5 of the world's population have a difficult time with fractions.