X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Threaded View

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

From Scotland to Bonnie and then to me

Just sent a package to Bonnie Greene so she can do her magic. Jennifer and I recently got back from Scotland, write up and photos about that to come on a different thread, and we had a wonderful time. One thing we wanted to do was go to Knockando Wool Mill. We had saved and scrimped to buy some fabric made at Knockando. We also had made a visit to a small store, The Lochcarron Weavers Shop, in Lochcarron, Ross-Shire. Of course we were in wool, tweed and tartan heaven. My purpose was to purchase 4 meters of the Knockando tartan for Bonnie to make a kilt. She kindly agreed to take on this commission which means I'll have my second Bonnie Heather Greene kilt. Along with the tartan I purchased a few other bits of fabric, well more than bits. Photos below as proof of purchase.

Photo of 2 meters of Strathspey Tweed-Vorlich for Jennifer (top right), 4 meters of Knockado Tartan (top left), 1 meter Strathspey Sporting Tweed me (bottom right) 1775 Tartan Scarf for Jennifer's mother (bottom left)

Photo of 4 meters Knockado Tartan (bottom right), Strathspey Sporting Tweed 1 meter (top) 3 meters Lochcarron Jacket tweed (bottom left)

One last photo of the tartan with a kilt pin I bought and a Sgian Dubh Jennifer bought me for my birthday. You can see the size of the sette compared to the kit.

All of these fabrics are double width so Jennifer has plenty of tweed to make a skirt and possibly a vest. I plan to make a jacket and vest out of the Lochcarron tweed and a vest out of the Knockado tweed. Of course most important is the fact that Bonnie will hand sew a kilt for me out of the 4 meters of Knockado tartan. I am excited beyond beyond. As is said often around here "the Jonesing begins".

Photos of Bonnie's beautiful work will follow in time, be patient because I have to be.......
    Last edited by brewerpaul; 12th July 15 at 09:35 PM.
    "Greater understanding properly leads to an increasing sense of responsibility, and not to arrogance."

2. The Following 6 Users say 'Aye' to brewerpaul For This Useful Post: