So you want to be an Athlete?

You’ve been to a Scottish Highland Game or two, seen the big guys throwing stones and think you might be pretty good at it. What do you need to do next?

Well first, you’ll need to know when and where the next game is. A simple google search with the terms “highland games” and the name of your state or city will usually turn up some good results. As well, check sites like www.saaa-net.org or www.nasgaweb.com for information.

What kind of shape do I need to be in?

Well obviously the better shape you are in the better you will do. You’ll want to be in generally good health, no heart conditions, no recurrent back problems, and wrap any problem joints. You won’t need to be a super athlete to get started. Most games allow different classes of competitors, ranging from “Pro” (these guys get paid – true world class athletes) down to A, B, C class and novice. There are often also Masters classes, broken down by age. Don’t let the fact that you are over 40 be a deterrent. I’ve seen 60 year olds out throw some 20 year olds.

Novice is just like it sounds, and is probably a good place to start. You’ll do almost all the the same events as everyone else, you just might use slightly lighter or smaller implements. Novice class will contain other athletes that are inexperienced and competing for the first time. The great advantage is you will get lots of personal attention from the judges, who will show you how to throw the implements safely without injury.

What equipment will I need?

Not much really. You’ll need a kilt and maybe some hose, and some good shoes. I wear cleats but it certainly isn’t required. Either athletic shoes or sturdy boots with a good tread should be more than sufficient.
I also strongly suggest a hat that shades your face, sunglasses, and sunscreen. Most fields don’t offer shade and you’ll be out there for six or seven hours. I’ve been burned badly even on an overcast day. I’m always shaded now.
I also really like those cloth gloves with the latex palms. You can usually find them in either the fishing or garden sections of Walmart, Target, or Home Depot. For three dollars a pair they provide excellent grip during the hammer throw and caber toss.

What events are there?

There are nine traditional events. Not all games encompass all the events but these are the standards you’ll see. Each event will be covered in more detail later.

Braemar Stone – a 22lb stone throne from a standing position, no run up allowed.

Open Stone – a 16lb stone thrown, run up or spin allowed.
Light Hammer – a 16 lb hammer with a cane or PVC handle thrown from a fixed position. Feet cannot move until after release.

Heavy Hammer – a 22lb hammer with a cane or PVC handle thrown from a fixed position. Feet cannot move until after release.

Light Weight for Distance – a 28 lb weight on a chain, thrown one handed. A spin is allowed.

Heavy Weight for Distance – a 56 lb weight on a chain, thrown one handed. A spin is allowed.

Weight over Bar – Notice this is not called weight for height. A 56 lb weight is hurled over a bar which moves progressively higher. The bar may be fixed or loose. On loose bars, it must not be knocked off the uprights. (similar to highjump). An underhand or spin method may be used at the judges discretion.

Sheaf Toss – Not Sheep Toss. A 20 lb burlap sack is thrown over a bar by means of a pitchfork. The bar is fixed. The bar moves progressively up.

Caber – The most famous Highland Event. The caber, a log ranging from 14 to 20 feet in length and from 60 lbs to 120 lbs is turned for accuracy. A 12:00 position is considered perfect.

Now lets define some terms.

Put – the act of throwing a weight from the neck/shoulder region, as in shot put.

Trig – The wooden board that marks the front of the box. The inside face of the trig is ‘yours’ (you may touch it). The tops, sides, and outside face of the trig is the judges. You may not touch the judges part of the trig or else you will foul.

Box – The rectangular marked area, fronted by the trig, that the thowing events must take place in. It may have multiple back lines, used differently in each event. Good etiquette is to NOT practice inside the box.

Standard/Upright – The vertical posts the weight over bar and sheaf events utilize.

Foul – The act of committing an illegal move during a throw. Some examples are stepping outside the box, touching the top of the trig, or moving forward in a fixed position event.

Attempt – The conclusion of a throw or toss, regardless of the outcome. For example, fouls count as attempts. Events usually allow competitors three attempts each, the best of which is scored.

Reset – If, before your attempt is completed you ask a judge to ‘reset’ you may replace the weight, alter your stance or grip, and begin your attempt again. Permission must be granted before the weight touches the ground, is released, or before a foul is committed.

Pick – The act of picking the caber up off the ground. The first part of the caber toss. Once the caber is lifted from the ground it counts as an ‘attempt’.

Explode – used here to describe a rapid motion, done with all possible force as quickly as possible. For example if you attempt a standing jump, you would ‘explode’ from the crouched position.

WOB – Weight Over Bar

WFD – Weight For Distance