X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    Amazing what can be found on the Tartan Register web site
    Black Watch (coarse kilt) dated 1788

Thread count
    Threadcount given over a half sett with full count at the pivots.
    R8 K8 BN48 K48 WG48 K4 R6

K=101010BLACK; WG=006818WITHERED GREEN; R=C80000RED; BN=202060BLUE;

And here it is being woven in Wilsons' shades.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by figheadair View Post
    I think that you should get some useful info via some of the rabble on the jacket and accoutrements but the tartan is more difficult and something that's never been tied down with any certainty. A fact not helped by the lack of contemporary specimens, accurate portraiture or surviving regimental records.

It seems certain that the original dress was the feileadh mor and most writers follow Stewart of Garth's view that the current Government sett was designed at the time that the Independent companies were regimented in 1739 but elsewhere Garth talks about a red line being included at the behest of Col Murray. Irrespective of the actual sett; Government or Government plus red line (i.e. Murray), the shades at the time would not have been as dark as those used by the military since about 1880 and still seen today in the RRS’s version – Government 1A.
    Here's a 42nd Genadier by David Morier c1751-60 which 'may' show the red line version of the sett.

Central Coast, New South Wales, Australia
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From earlier in the discussion on the 43rd RoF we know that the red stripe was added in 1746 (but we don't know when it was removed), and that the 43rd became the 42nd in 1749. To be honest and possibly much to the distress of purists, I'll probably end up using one of the modern Black Watch in one the more muted ancient styles (http://www.scotweb.co.uk/buy/tartan-...howtab=results) to create the Feileadh Mòr of my 43rd RoF uniform.

Unfortunately the the Army's 1742 Clothing Book shows little more than an artist's impression of the tartan.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The 1743 Mutiny resulted in three men being executed: Corporals Malcolm and Samuel McPherson, and Private Farquhar Shaw.
    Lord John Murray, who was later Colonel of the Regiment, had portraits of all three men hung in his dining room.

The drawings give contemporary illustrations of the uniform (presumably most artists draw what they see to the best of their ability). I can't but note that the tartans in all drawings are on the diagonal, as was the one from the 1742 Clothing Book. Was this just because the artist couldn't draw tartans, or is the something else going on?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The subject of the first two drawings is Private Farquar Shaw, and the third drawing is of one of the Corporals McPherson.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by scabd View Post
    From earlier in the discussion on the 43rd RoF we know that the red stripe was added in 1746 (but we don't know when it was removed), and that the 43rd became the 42nd in 1749.
    No we don't know for certain that it was introduced in 1746. That's one late C19th author's claim but based on what evidence is unclear.

To be honest and possibly much to the distress of purists, I'll probably end up using one of the modern Black Watch in one the more muted ancient styles (http://www.scotweb.co.uk/buy/tartan-...howtab=results) to create the Feileadh Mòr of my 43rd RoF uniform.
    That of course is your choice and one presumably based on cost but it won't be historically correct for either shade or setting and certain won't include a selvedge mark which would probably have appeared on 43rd RoF plaids.

The drawings give contemporary illustrations of the uniform (presumably most artists draw what they see to the best of their ability). I can't but note that the tartans in all drawings are on the diagonal, as was the one from the 1742 Clothing Book. Was this just because the artist couldn't draw tartans, or is the something else going on?
    Nothing sinister, it was often the case that early depictions of tartan incorrectly showed it on the bias. The earliest accurate rendition of the 42nd sett I'm aware of is that of Capt Campbell of Melfort c1763.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    figheadair,
    I of course defer to your greater knowledge. I don't suppose you would hazard a guess at the earliest and latest dates for the introduction and withdrawal of the red stripe?

You are right that economics will be a significant factor in the tartan I eventually select. I'm not sure if anyone actually knows what was the sett and shades of the tartan worn by the 43rd. If I knew for certain what it was, my choice of tartans might be changed.

Steve
    Last edited by scabd; 14th January 13 at 12:27 AM.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    figheadair,
    I of course defer to your greater knowledge. I don't suppose you would hazard a guess at the earliest and latest dates for the introduction and withdrawal of the red stripe?
    The intro date is a bit of a guesstimate but I'd go for pre-1750, possible at the time that the regiment was renumbered. As for the withdrawal date: certainly until c1780 judging by a Wilsons' notebook entry.

You are right that economics will be a significant factor in the tartan I eventually select. I'm not sure if anyone actually knows what was the sett and shades of the tartan worn by the 43rd. If I knew for certain what it was, my choice of tartans might be changed.

Steve
    Whilst we can't be certain it's logical to assume that the 43rd wore the same sett as the 42nd. The renumbering of regiments at that time was due to internal Army changes and there's not reason to assume that the dress would have changed. So, the standard 42nd sett with a selvedge mark would be my best guess.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12