X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tummel, Tay or Both?

I've been researching the traditional lands of the Robertsons and can't quite figure it out geographically. I've got it narrowed down to the Loch Rannoch area, Kinloch Rannoch, Athol, Bruar and Glen Garry. Would they also include Strathtay, loch Tay, and slightly to the SW of Pitlochry towards Loch Tay? Any help would be appreciated. And in Strathmore woolen terms, would the more suitable kilt be the Strathtummel or the Strathtay, or both?

Thanks everyone who knows and can help. It's just that the maps I've been looking at are a little unclear.

With appreciation.
    David
    Last edited by lukeyrobertson; 11th April 13 at 03:13 PM. Reason: changed SE of Pitlochry to SW

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    David

The maps are anything but consistent. They also do not define the boundaries of the clan borders, I suppose back then that these things were arbitrary as skirmishes and forays in to neighbouring clan lands were inevitable. However this link may help you out a bit as the itinerary mentions places of importance to Robertsons.

http://www.ancestralscotland.com/pla...ies/robertson/
    Friends stay in touch on FB simon Taylor-dando
    Best regards
    Simon

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Grizzly,
    I appreciate the link and your reminder about blurry lines and skirmishes. I am staying in Pitlochry for a couple of days and want to get a feel for the land. I will be in Bruar and maybe Dunkeld. I also hope to see loch Tummel and Queens View. I am not sure if the Tay is part of the Robertson territory although I have seen some articles about the significance of the Dunkeld cathedral in Robertson history as well as references to St. Columba.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lukeyrobertson View Post
    I've been researching the traditional lands of the Robertsons and can't quite figure it out geographically. I've got it narrowed down to the Loch Rannoch area, Kinloch Rannoch, Athol, Bruar and Glen Garry. Would they also include Strathtay, loch Tay, and slightly to the SW of Pitlochry towards Loch Tay? Any help would be appreciated. And in Strathmore woolen terms, would the more suitable kilt be the Strathtummel or the Strathtay, or both?

Thanks everyone who knows and can help. It's just that the maps I've been looking at are a little unclear.

With appreciation.
    David
    My wife is descended from the Robertsons of Struan and her family emigrated from Perthshire, specifcally from the area surrounding Pitlochry to Grandtully and as far south as Dunkeld. I would venture to guess that whatever the present Robertson of Struan says are traditional Clan Donnachie lands, then that is your answer.

Cheers,

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Grizzly,
    I appreciate the link and your reminder about blurry lines and skirmishes. I am staying in Pitlochry for a couple of days and want to get a feel for the land. I will be in Bruar and maybe Dunkeld. I also hope to see loch Tummel and Queens View. I am not sure if the Tay is part of the Robertson territory although I have seen some articles about the significance of the Dunkeld cathedral in Robertson history as well as references to St. Columba.
    Be sure to make a stop at the House of Bruar! They have a lovely tearoom and serve a delightful lunch. I also try to pick up as many tattersall shirts when I'm there. They have very smart clothing items for both men and women.

www.houseofbruar.com

Enjoy,

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Check this out too:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K5dc0r0XGhg

Cheers,

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by creagdhubh View Post
    Check this out too:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K5dc0r0XGhg

Cheers,
    Kyle: Is there a DVD of "Scotland's Clans" available for the U.S. market? Or, is it only available on YouTube? Thanks.

John
    I changed my signature. The old one was too ridiculous.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ... And in Strathmore woolen terms, would the more suitable kilt be the Strathtummel or the Strathtay, or both? ...

With appreciation.
    David
    David: Both, of course! Just kidding.

I can't help you with geographic relevance/proximity, but I do own a Strathtummel kilt of Sthrathmore W60 tartan. It is beautiful. I bought it mostly for the purple/heather colors.

A good computer representation of both tartans may be seen at

http://www.bletherskite.net/2011/06/...om-strathmore/

If you click on any of the small tartan snaps, you will be shown a larger version. They all look remarkably close to the real tartan. Also, Strathmore has a five-pack of swatches of these tartans and I'm sure would be glad to send you one.

Good luck on your search and selection.

John:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mookien View Post
    Kyle: Is there a DVD of "Scotland's Clans" available for the U.S. market? Or, is it only available on YouTube? Thanks.

John
    Yes, there is. Via Amazon (there's only one left in stock, but more are on their way), but not all the clans are featured; for what reason, I do not know.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Cheers,
    Last edited by creagdhubh; 12th April 13 at 11:04 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by creagdhubh View Post
    Yes, there is. Via Amazon (there's only one left in stock, but more are on their way), but not all the clans are featured; for what reason, I do not know.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Cheers,
    Kyle: The DVD on Amazon is "Clans of Scotland". I own that one. It covers only 12 clans and, for example, does not include Clan Robertson. Robertson, and some others, appear to be available only via the web under the title "Scotland's Clans", also narrated by Paul Murton. For example, the episode on Clan Gordon may be seen at

http://www.tartanfootprint.com/video...-clans-gordon/

and there are at least several others. I am hoping to get these in DVD format, if available. Thanks.

John

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast