X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nathan View Post
    Warning: longwinded post regarding jacket formality...

I recently put out a call in the "wanted" section for a dark coloured jacket that could fill a void in my wardrobe. As I mentioned in that post, I had 4 jackets: A lovat green tweed jacket with Braemar cuffs, A black Prince Charlie coatee and waistcoat, a black velvet single-breasted Montrose-like doublet, and a bottle green barathea wool Balmoral doublet.

With the additions of the dress barathea Argyll and charcoal suiting wool Argyll, you've really got all the bases covered, eh?
    - Justitia et fortitudo invincibilia sunt
    - An t'arm breac dearg

2. The Following User Says 'Aye' to CMcG For This Useful Post:

Cowichan Valley 48 39' 1" N 123 34' 54" W
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I dont think you can go wrong with a tweed jacket in black/charcoal/grey. It will cover any occasion but black tie. As Steve's pix show, you can add a vest for a different look.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nathan View Post
    Warning: longwinded post regarding jacket formality... ...
    Nathan: Short winded post re. pics: As nice as your jacket looks, it's not what colors those photos. It's that warm, lovely smile.

John
    I changed my signature. The old one was too ridiculous.

5. The Following User Says 'Aye' to mookien For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mookien View Post
    Nathan: Short winded post re. pics: As nice as your jacket looks, it's not what colors those photos. It's that warm, lovely smile.

John
    Why John... compliments like that might make a fella blush. *grin*...
    Natan Easbaig Mac Dhòmhnaill, FSA Scot
    Past High Commissioner, Clan Donald Canada
    “Yet still the blood is strong, the heart is Highland, And we, in dreams, behold the Hebrides.” - The Canadian Boat Song.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Aye!
    I changed my signature. The old one was too ridiculous.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Funny about the "black only for evening" thing... For one thing, I've seen people here (Americans) wear black Prince Charlies complete with bow tie for morning church services, daytime weddings, etc.

And... I was piping at a wedding a while back. The entire Bride's family flew over from Scotland for the wedding. Me, being aware of the "black for evening" rule, and it being a noontime wedding, and me not wanting to appear out of place, wore charcoal tweed. ALL of the Scots who had flown over were wearing black! (Some Argylls, some Prince Charlies.) No, I take it back, one Scottish gent was wearing a blue Sherriffmuir as I recall... in any case I was the ONLY kilted person present not wearing Evening Dress for that noon wedding! (And the only kilted person who was a non-Scot.)

So... a black Argyll is very versatile, good for day and evening, to judge from current American (and Scottish) practice... though the traditionalists would beg to differ.
    Last edited by OC Richard; 13th November 13 at 07:02 AM.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think black has been drifting in and out of fashion for a long time. It looks to me like we are at the crest of the most recent wave of popularity. A kilt may be the most colorful garment many men own. Some may be attempting to tone that down a little with a black jacket.
    Some take the high road and some take the low road. Who's in the gutter? MacLowlife

The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OC Richard View Post
    Funny about the "black only for evening" thing... For one thing, I've seen people here (Americans) wear black Prince Charlies complete with bow tie for morning church services, daytime weddings, etc.

And... I was piping at a wedding a while back. The entire Bride's family flew over from Scotland for the wedding. Me, being aware of the "black for evening" rule, and it being a noontime wedding, and me not wanting to appear out of place, wore charcoal tweed. ALL of the Scots who had flown over were wearing black! (Some Argylls, some Prince Charlies.) No, I take it back, one Scottish gent was wearing a blue Sherriffmuir as I recall... in any case I was the ONLY kilted person present not wearing Evening Dress for that noon wedding! (And the only kilted person who was a non-Scot.)

So... a black Argyll is very versatile, good for day and evening, to judge from current American (and Scottish) practice... though the traditionalists would beg to differ.
    Maybe they were all being polite thinking "well that's how its done in America"! Sadly you do see a lot of Scots wearing evening wear to day weddings in Scotland.... some even turned up to my own wedding (obviously I've had them all killed)... but it doesn't make it right!

11. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Lime For This Useful Post:

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123