X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Laudering

Does anyone actually follow the instruction tag and close and snap all snaps for washing inside out and then tumble dry? Do you have to touch up iron?

I follow the Utilikilt routine of washing ( gentle, cool, in a front loader ), open, removable pockets removed. Then I tug the apron edges, double clip hanger dry with weighted clothes pinned pleats. I never need to press these kilts. Hanging and pinning for drying only takes about 5 minutes as there are only 12 pleat and apron edges to do. They dry quite fast on my kilt drying rack ( 4-5 hours ) with a pair of very quiet, low velocity fans blowing up from the bottom. Half the dry time of cotton denim Utilikilts. These are my recent replacement fans as I wore out the original ones - 8W X 2 fans = 16W. Ball bearing and I can't hear them running from 6 feet away.
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Stitched pleat edge thread tends to try to shrink the edge length, making rumples at the edge if you don't tug and stretch them out while still damp. The TDKs aprons have a triple row of stitching around the apron edges and so they need a really good tug and one ounce weighted pins to prevent rumpling and causing the under apron pleats to want to splay from a shortened apron edge.
    Last edited by tundramanq; 26th April 17 at 08:07 AM.
    slàinte mhath, Chuck
    Originally Posted by MeghanWalker,In answer to Goodgirlgoneplaids challenge:
    "My sporran is bigger and hairier than your sporran"
    Pants is only a present tense verb here. I once panted, but it's all cool now.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Got mine last week and i am LOVING it

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It looks like I'm a bit late to the party on this, but my interest in this kilt is definitely piqued. TDU Khaki in 36 is out of stock. What is the opinion here on the Burnt one?

Montgomery Village, Maryland, near Washington, District of Columbia
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tundramanq View Post
    Does anyone actually follow the instruction tag and close and snap all snaps for washing inside out and then tumble dry? Do you have to touch up iron?

Stitched pleat edge thread tends to try to shrink the edge length, making rumples at the edge if you don't tug and stretch them out while still damp. The TDKs aprons have a triple row of stitching around the apron edges and so they need a really good tug and one ounce weighted pins to prevent rumpling and causing the under apron pleats to want to splay from a shortened apron edge.
    I have several TDKs, and HAVEN'T followed that procedure, just washed, tumble dry until damp, and then hangup, and I have not seen any rumpling.
    Geoff Withnell

"My comrades, they did never yield, for courage knows no bounds."
    No longer subject to reveille US Marine.

5. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Geoff Withnell For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a camo and a burnt one. I like them both. They do not look as good as my Stumptowns but the pocket system is great.

7. The Following User Says 'Aye' to KMCMICHAEL For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KMCMICHAEL View Post
    I have a camo and a burnt one. I like them both. They do not look as good as my Stumptowns but the pocket system is great.
    I'll have to look into the Stumptown ones. I'm checking out their site now, and they definitely look better.

9. The Following User Says 'Aye' to SunriseEarth For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DonP View Post
    That's correct. The 5.11 is a very good kilt. I love that it has nice deep pockets and it's made from ripstop material that is almost wrinkle proof. My only objection is the overlap in front is a little short. There is a snap to keep it closed, but more material would be better.
    The snap does work but it makes the kilt cumbersome and not comfortable. They need a little design change and they would be a great kilt. Couple more pleats and overlapping apron would be great. I have 2 I want to sell a 36 and a 38 black.
    IF YOU SAY YOU CAN OR CAN'T DO SOMETHING YOU ARE CORRECT.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SunriseEarth View Post
    I'll have to look into the Stumptown ones. I'm checking out their site now, and they definitely look better.
    Stumptown is going to introduce a version with a 25" drop early next year. At that point, I plan on buying one. I like the way they look and they are adjustable.
    American by birth, human by coincidence and earthling by mistake.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is my "go to" kilt. I wore the 5.11 kilt frequently all summer. It's like cargo shorts. Some days shorts, other days I wore a kilt. Definitely my favorite.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I really like my TDK. I wear 5.11 trousers (pants) so being able to set my pockets up identically is good.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast