X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Victoria, BC Canada 48° 25' 47.31"N 123° 20' 4.59" W
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mary Atwater claims in her first book, ""How to Weave on an Inkle Loom" which was published in 1941, that she purchased her first Inkle loom in the 1930's and had it shipped by boat from Germany.
    Steve Ashton
    Forum Owner

Terry Searl is offline Registration terminated at the member's request
    Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

just my preference

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Scott View Post
    Personally I like the knitted variety from House of Cheviot. Most of the garter is hidden under the folded over top of the hose so any special patterning would be lost unless you wore the garter outside the stocking top
    Done with needles, they can be done at anytime and anyplace. watching TV, waiting in a car, even while watching cricket either live or on the radio heh ! heh! and I'm sure once your knitting skills became proficient you could do them as fast as any inkle loom would.......just my opinion though
    Last edited by Terry Searl; 28th March 18 at 04:35 PM.

3. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Terry Searl For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You could also produce a warp-faced weave with a backstrap-type loom... plus-1 for cheap (easy to build yourself) but bigger learning curve since you are part of the structure of the loom, so I'm not sure I'd recommend it.
    Last edited by Katia; 27th March 18 at 06:36 AM.
    Here's tae us - / Wha's like us - / Damn few - / And they're a' deid - /
    Mair's the pity!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here are a couple examples for you......

duffussgarters.JPG

figuredgarters.JPG

6. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Luke MacGillie For This Useful Post:

Terry Searl is offline Registration terminated at the member's request
    Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

very Nice

Quote Originally Posted by Luke MacGillie View Post
    Here are a couple examples for you......

duffussgarters.JPG

figuredgarters.JPG
    These garters are very nice, gorgeous in fact and would look spectacular when worn with more formal attire such as a Prince Charlie, etc.
    They would also make a wonderful project to weave

I have only worn more formal attire when I attended a wedding and rented my kit, so most of the time I'm in Day wear attire, a Kilt Kut Charcoal tweed Jacket or a lovely Italian wool jacket I had altered.
    With my 2 different jackets, 2 different waist coats, 2 different kilts and 6 different colours of hose , my 3 different colours of House of Cheviot Knitted garters, really do give me a lot of options to mix things up

image.jpg

8. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Terry Searl For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here is an pld thread I had on making and using an inkle loom for garter ties.
    http://www.xmarksthescot.com/forum/f...ion-1-a-72059/
    "Greater understanding properly leads to an increasing sense of responsibility, and not to arrogance."

10. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to brewerpaul For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    While garters made on an Inkle or a ridged heddle loom can be quite decorative and fancy, like all woven fabrics there will be little stretch.

Knitted Garters however stretch very nicely and are very comfortable on the leg. You can wear them all day and not notice them. And they will be less likely to cut off circulation.

Knitted Garters are also very easy to make yourself. A lot less expense than purchasing or making a loom. All you need are two sticks and some yarn. You can knit almost anywhere.

You can look up about a thousand youtube videos on how to knit. You will need to learn to cast the stitches onto the needles - How to knit the garter stitch - and how to cast off when you have reached the length you want.

I'm not much of a hand knitter but I can knit a pair of garters in about a day.

And if you do choose to knit your own garters it will amaze you how relaxing and enjoyable knitting can be. Soon you will want to try knitting your own kilt hose.

There is an entire Ravelry group dedicated to nothing but knit kilt hose. - https://www.ravelry.com/groups/kilt-hose-and-flashes
    Steve Ashton
    Forum Owner

12. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to Steve Ashton For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Coming in late, you could take one of the peg/pin looms and use it to knit a garter. This would be easy to make with a few headless/finishing nails and a board. The link below is for a sock knitting board. You would not have to use all the pegs.

http://www.joann.com/knitting-board-...prefv1=Product

Another option would be an ICord maker. This is a take off on the old spool knitter. To make spool knitter you take an empty sewing thread spool and nail four finishing nails around the hole. Yarn or thread is wrapped around the nails and using a pick the loop on the nail is lifted up and over new thread as you go round and around. With an ICord maker you can take thin yarn and crank away while watching TV. At the end of the show you have yards of ICord that can be cut to length, tassels placed at the end and you have garters. Since all but the tassels show under the hose tops no one knows that they are round cords versus flat garters. I have a number of garters made this way and they work well and are easy to make.

Not you can also knit ICords using two Double Point knitting needles and directions can be found on Youtube, However, the ICord maker is easier and faster.

https://www.amazon.com/Aeakey-Knitti...ds=icord+maker

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Ashton View Post
    While garters made on an Inkle or a ridged heddle loom can be quite decorative and fancy, like all woven fabrics there will be little stretch.

Knitted Garters however stretch very nicely and are very comfortable on the leg. You can wear them all day and not notice them. And they will be less likely to cut off circulation.
    True there is little stretch in loomed garters, but, my questions is how tight do you need to tie your garters so the stretch is an issue. I may be "lucky" in that I have 18 inch calves. I use the ring toss over the coke bottle effect when I tie my garters. I tie my garters so that the are just denting the hose yarn, rather loose. Since the point where I place my garters is about 16.5 inches/420 mm and my calf quickly increase to 18 inches/460 mm as long as my garters create a ring less than 17 inches / 430 mm the ring will not slip down my leg. The garter ring will trap the fold of the hose so the hose do not slide down my leg.

Stretch may be a factor if your calf circumference is every close to circumference below the knee, but, I do not have this issue.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think it is a matter of getting the garters tight as much as having a garter with some 'give' for when you move and walk. This is why I like knit garters. They can be tied quite loose so as not to cut off circulation and still stay in place to hold your hose up.
    Steve Ashton
    Forum Owner

16. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Steve Ashton For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast