X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wilson Ancient Kilt Help

Hello!

This is my first post here. I’ve been lurking here for years and have learned so much from everyone. I need some advice, and I hope this is the right place to ask.

I am a kilt maker, and my latest kilt is causing me issues. The tartan I’m using is the Wilson Ancient, and needs to be pleated to the sett. I planned on using 9.5 yards, but the repeat is much, much larger than any I have dealt with before. As of now, the maximum amount of pleats I can get is 13, which would make each pleat well over 1” in width. I need to get at least 23 pleats in, which means I would have to basically double the amount of fabric I have available for the pleats.

This would result in a ~14 yard kilt.

Does anyone have any advice?

Please let me know if this is the right forum to post in, or if there is a post already addressing this issue. I searched the archives but didn’t find anything, but I might not have been looking in the right place.

Thank you for your help!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No advice - I'm no kiltmaker, but glad you're posting and I know you'll get good suggestions soon.
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster. Lover of God, dogs, most people, joy, tradition, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Father Bill View Post
    No advice - I'm no kiltmaker, but glad you're posting and I know you'll get good suggestions soon.
    Thank you so much!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It would help if you can tell us which Wilson Tartan you are using.
    The Wilson I have here in 16oz has a Sett size of 6.75 inches which is pretty normal.
    Steve Ashton
    www.freedomkilts.com
    Skype (webcam enabled) thewizardofbc
    I wear the kilt because:
    Swish + Swagger = Swoon.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well met and welcome caitlyn. I, like Father Bill, am not a kilt maker. But, I have read many of the older threads to understand the full extent of kilt construction.

In the top right corner of this page is a " box" for advanced searches. Try entering - large sett pleats - into the search box. Many of the older threads have the photos missing because of issues with "off-sight" photo storage sites. However, the postings (text) remain, even though the threads are closed and can't be contributed to.

I hope you find the answer soon and give us new information on your experiences with your own kilt construction. Glad to have you with us.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarheel View Post
    Well met and welcome caitlyn. I, like Father Bill, am not a kilt maker. But, I have read many of the older threads to understand the full extent of kilt construction.

In the top right corner of this page is a " box" for advanced searches. Try entering - large sett pleats - into the search box. Many of the older threads have the photos missing because of issues with "off-sight" photo storage sites. However, the postings (text) remain, even though the threads are closed and can't be contributed to.

I hope you find the answer soon and give us new information on your experiences with your own kilt construction. Glad to have you with us.
    Thank you!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Wizard of BC View Post
    It would help if you can tell us which Wilson Tartan you are using.
    The Wilson I have here in 16oz has a Sett size of 6.75 inches which is pretty normal.
    It’s the Wilson ancient 16 oz with sett size of 15.75

This is the link: https://www.scotweb.co.uk/tartan/Wil...lson%20ancient

Thank you for any input you have!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tartan and pleating examples

https://imgur.com/gallery/qZKOmfR

I’ve included pictures of the full tartan, along with some mockups of pleating options I’ve come up with.

I’ve come to the conclusion that I have to pleat to a stripe in order to get enough pleats in the kilt. If anyone has any advice/opinions they would be greatly appreciated!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Im no kilt maker, but I really like those pleating samples. In particular the one with solid blue alternating with the white stripe on red. I think tha td make a handsome kilt.

10. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Manu For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Manu View Post
    Im no kilt maker, but I really like those pleating samples. In particular the one with solid blue alternating with the white stripe on red. I think tha td make a handsome kilt.
    Yeah, that was my favorite one too. Hopefully that’s what my client prefers 🙂

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast